Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
It does kind of shit all over peoples argument that you should pay for university as you then go on to earn more than if you didn't. For an, essentially, unqualified job (academically they have other skills that are important), they do get paid a he'll of a lot. I can only dream of that salery!

The problem we have ,in my opinion,is that far to much importance is put on Uni,there seems to be a lot of people with two bob degrees chasing far to few jobs,more emphasise needs to put on really good apprentice scheme,academic qualification counts for absolutely nothing to a lot of employers now,seems like such a waste of several years in the work place and then end up in debt and thinking 60k a year is a hell of a lot,60k in this part of our country is not a lot of money,it's a living wage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
All the trains I've been on the last few months have an OBS that operates the doors or someone on the platform that sorts all that. No significant problems are being reported. All seems to be running fine.
I suppose we will just have to endure regular disruption at the hands of union members until it becomes blatant that their fears are unfounded and they finally give up this ridiculous pantomime. In the meantime it's the hard working public that continue to be pawns and suffer in this shameful twattery.
How much more stress must you inflict on people and how many more livelihoods are put at risk before you lot realise you're wrong?

Yoda

English & European
All the trains I've been on the last few months have an OBS that operates the doors or someone on the platform that sorts all that. No significant problems are being reported. All seems to be running fine.
I suppose we will just have to endure regular disruption at the hands of union members until it becomes blatant that their fears are unfounded and they finally give up this ridiculous pantomime. In the meantime it's the hard working public that continue to be pawns and suffer in this shameful twattery.
How much more stress must you inflict on people and how many more livelihoods are put at risk before you lot realise you're wrong?

I don't know which trains you've been getting, but the ones I get that have that are only the old 313's. That's only because they don't have DOO capability.

The 377's sometimes have on OBS, but they don't control the doors, just check down the train when at a station.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's not really 100% independent when they only take the story from one side though is it?

or maybe it was taking a view of the whole rather than getting bogged down on one narrow issue? think there's more attention given the electrfication of the Uckfield line.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I agree, technical skills are just as important as academic (depending on what you are doing!) and should be equally rewarded.

Quite right,but should someone on a decent living wage have their wages cut to conform with someone on low wages?
Or should the person on low wages aspire to be on a decent wage?
My union, through the power of collective bargaining have over the years negotiated a good living wage for Myself and My colleagues,I suggest you join a Union.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
*******s, my connection from the Heath to Vic is canned whilst this ASLEF overtime ban goes on

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Why would that make me feel happier?

Because earlier on you stated that in your opinion 60k seemed an awful lot of money for a non graduate to be earning,you also said you could only dream of earning that sort of salary,I feel the whole issue for a lot folk is the fact that non academics have the brass neck to be earning a decent,living wage and that green eyed monsters are in abundance on this particular subject.
I may be wrong of course.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't know which trains you've been getting, but the ones I get that have that are only the old 313's. That's only because they don't have DOO capability.

The 377's sometimes have on OBS, but they don't control the doors, just check down the train when at a station.

All over the South East. OBS go to the doors at each station, get off train, see everyone on, get back on and the train sets off.
No need for strike action.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Was on a train earlier in the week, London Bridge to Horsham, I get off at ifield. the train was cancelled at East Croydon and then reinstated fast to Horsham. the reason for this was a train fault so the drive could not dispatch the train properly at the smaller stations. However, there was an OBS on board that stayed on board the entire trip!!

In these circumstance why do the trains need to be cancelled?? Why cant the OBS safely dispatch the train and work with the driver? Its just silly!!

Poor bloke get a shed load of abuse for the remaining journey from others!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Was on a train earlier in the week, London Bridge to Horsham, I get off at ifield. the train was cancelled at East Croydon and then reinstated fast to Horsham. the reason for this was a train fault so the drive could not dispatch the train properly at the smaller stations. However, there was an OBS on board that stayed on board the entire trip!!

In these circumstance why do the trains need to be cancelled?? Why cant the OBS safely dispatch the train and work with the driver? Its just silly!!

If the train was running fast from East Croydon to Horsham, how come you got to get off at Ifield? or did you leap off at the train roared through the station at 40mph? I can't think of too many smaller staions than Ifield.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Because the new OBSs aren't trained to dispatch trains I'm afraid.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Because the new OBSs aren't trained to dispatch trains I'm afraid.

This may be a stupid question, but what training do you need to dispatch the train?

If the platform is clear, and all pax on board, could the OBS then not inform the driver all is clear?? Os are things not that simple? surely thats what the cameras would have done?

Was on the same journey a few weeks ago when the cameras stopped working. The driver walked the length of the train to dispatch it at a few stations and said he couldnt be bothered to keep doing it so train cancelled at redhill. again....there was an OBS on board.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
If the train was running fast from East Croydon to Horsham, how come you got to get off at Ifield? or did you leap off at the train roared through the station at 40mph? I can't think of too many smaller staions than Ifield.

The in laws live in Horsham so went there and got a lift home. Littlehaven is probably smaller than Ifield?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here