Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This is the same story for men and women who unfortunately are suffering during this dispute caused by all concerned with just us the paying public taking the brunt.

Shameful by all parties concerned...

THE boss of the i360 blamed our "diabolical" train service for robbing her of time with her children as she announced she is stepping down.
Eleanor Harris, the chief executive of Brighton and Hove's newest tourist attraction, is relinquishing her position to spend more time with her two young children and focus on her own business - saying Southern has made her miss important time with family.
After announcing her decision yesterday, she told The Argus: "The train service has become increasingly difficult. With the strikes, cancellations and delays, I missed so many children's bedtimes.
"It's always a big juggling act and the trains have played a really key part in the decision.

"Like many parents trying to commute between London and Brighton, a half-hour delay can be the difference between getting to see your children and reading them a bedtime story.
"The service has been diabolical and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.
Ms Harris said her commute from Clapham Junction to Brighton had been complicated by a one-stop train being withdrawn, and said her average journey time was four hours a day.
She added: "I'm not the only person in this boat and what is extraordinary is there seems to be absolutely no intervention. It doesn't go anywhere."

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Ms Harris said her commute from Clapham Junction to Brighton had been complicated ........
"I'm not the only person in this boat and what is extraordinary is there seems to be absolutely no intervention. It doesn't go anywhere."

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that a woman who can't tell the difference between a boat and a train is in charge of a tourist attraction which is a lift sponsored by an airline...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I guess we shouldn't be surprised that a woman who can't tell the difference between a boat and a train is in charge of a tourist attraction which is a lift sponsored by an airline...

what does that matter concerning the state of the service ??

Next you will be telling me she is loaded anyway, who cares it is of no relevance.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Quite a few months ago I took a huge decision to move away from where I grew up on the south coast to live in London as commuting was no longer feasible due to the inept service provided by Southern. Obviously, this has had huge ramifications on my life (from a relationship ending to seeing family and friends less).

I have had to get the train back about 5 times in the last 3/4 months (only once on a strike day) and the service was simply diabolical. I could barely cope doing it once every few weeks, I don't get how people can physically do it daily...

Southern/RMT/ASLEF/Government/DfT really could not care in the slightest about who the service is meant to actually be provided for. It truly is a sad state of affairs, with no end game in sight. I have absolutely no sympathy for ANYONE orchestrating this anymore.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I assume everyone here has a 100% record on that score...

Do you know they're pretending? If so, which ones? In which case, root out the individuals doing it, and discipline them appropriately.

If you're talking about 'staff sickness' on strike days, what's the point of fraudulently doing so? They're on strike.

So some might be sick then, I thought the sickness was a myth.

You already said striking on non-strike days was illegal so why would I be talking about sickness on a strike day, which clearly isn't required if its an official one.

Working in the private sector I don't have a sickness quota I am allowed to take each year so I wouldn't know how many people have a 100% record as I tend just to have time off when I'm sick as I have to do what the law says as completion of a self certification form when I wasn't sick would be fraud

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Working in the private sector I don't have a sickness quota I am allowed to take each year so I wouldn't know how many people have a 100% record as I tend just to have time off when I'm sick as I have to do what the law says as completion of a self certification form when I wasn't sick would be fraud

There was never any employee anywhere who didn't throw the occasional strategic sickie. FACT.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So some might be sick then, I thought the sickness was a myth.

No, the whole point was about Southern's claim that sickness was being used as unofficial industrial action by the RMT. There's no evidence to support that, even after the Transport Select Committee specifically asked Charles Horton for that evidence.

You already said striking on non-strike days was illegal so why would I be talking about sickness on a strike day, which clearly isn't required if its an official one.

I know. I'm not sure why you mentioned it.

So I'll put you down as someone with a 100% record for never 'throwing a sickie' - as opposed to being genuinely sick. Cool.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No, the whole point was about Southern's claim that sickness was being used as unofficial industrial action by the RMT. There's no evidence to support that, even after the Transport Select Committee specifically asked Charles Horton for that evidence.

Maybe because it is impossible to prove, you know that they know that and the whole world knows that.

Having my cynical head on, maybe the unions could be using that in their agenda.

Maybe, Maybe not....

Probably though....

Nah you know, I know the whole world knows they are.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
IMG_4710.jpg

This greeted me at the station this morning.....and this is before they start their no overtime strike.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Maybe because it is impossible to prove, you know that they know that and the whole world knows that.

Having my cynical head on, maybe the unions could be using that in their agenda.

Maybe, Maybe not....

Probably though....

Nah you know, I know the whole world knows they are.

Charles Horton at the Transport Select Committee said that there was 'compelling evidence that staff sickness is being used as unofficial industrial action'. When asked to provide that evidence, he couldn't do so - and hasn't since.

Bearing in mind official strike action has 97% support (on a 73% turnout) among the members, what value is there in having a less than 8% unofficial industrial action on non-strike days?

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
This greeted me at the station this morning.....and this is before they start their no overtime strike.

GTR's most recent joint performance improvement report (published on November 14th) suggests there are 87 Southern drivers in training. Quite how quickly they progress from the classroom to being supervised by an experienced colleague in the cab and finally passed competent to drive key routes solo remains to be seen...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Charles Horton at the Transport Select Committee said that there was 'compelling evidence that staff sickness is being used as unofficial industrial action'. When asked to provide that evidence, he couldn't do so - and hasn't since.

Bearing in mind official strike action has 97% support (on a 73% turnout) among the members, what value is there in having a less than 8% unofficial industrial action on non-strike days?

Yeah ok,

Your right everyone else is wrong...

On and on this thing goes.... still who cares about the public at least your "right" because a thing that can not be proved can't be proved.

This exchange is going nowhere like the service we receive..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here