Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... So now, for example if we were to work a service from Victoria to Littlehampton/Eastbourne that splits at Haywards Heath we would work it DOO (but for the moment with an OBS on board) from Victoria to Haywards Heath. Personally I don't have a massive problem with this as we are dispatched safely by platform staff at Victoria, Clapham, East Croydon and Gatwick as long as the OBS is onboard and fully safety trained.

do you mean routinely or when theres disruption? the guards are still present but you as driver dispatch the train yourself.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
do you mean routinely or when theres disruption? the guards are still present but you as driver dispatch the train yourself.

Routinely, well as of this week anyway. We press the buttons to close the door (which no one has an issue with) but are told when it is safe to do this by multiple platform staff who can see the whole length of the train.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Yes this is true. Seemingly every Monday Southern tell us of a new little extension to DOO (completely going against our agreed and negotiated terms and conditions - not that I would expect anyone outside the railway to give two hoots) which, for the moment, we have to abide by. I don't think this has made much of a difference on strike days to be honest but I could be wrong. So now, for example if we were to work a service from Victoria to Littlehampton/Eastbourne that splits at Haywards Heath we would work it DOO (but for the moment with an OBS on board) from Victoria to Haywards Heath. Personally I don't have a massive problem with this as we are dispatched safely by platform staff at Victoria, Clapham, East Croydon and Gatwick as long as the OBS is onboard and fully safety trained.

I guess my point is that to make any effect the whole network needs to be down , not 40% ,therefore people will just be peeved with the RMT inability rather than Southerns incompetence

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lovely stuff.

14642301_10154734998337845_319215644222589672_n.jpg

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I have got the DOOs to london and back over the strike. Happy to report still alive!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have got the DOOs to london and back over the strike. Happy to report still alive!

Regardless of the obvious fact that the GMT are a prickly, militant organisation, I would urge you not to lose sight of the fact that the cluster**** that is our train operating company is where the blame lies. They manage their industrial relations about as well as they manage the train service.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
HI Deadly . as a regular commuter experiencing the strife that has gone on . for me and i repeat for me , my opinion , is that the strike action seems now to be the norm and is having little effect. . I turn up as norm and catch a normal train . If anything service is a tad better . I speak to people and cannot count how many times people have said , "oh i forgot strike was on " . People generally just getting on with it.

I stress that is what i have witnessed and no doubt lots of others will have stories to counter this, but i am now finding more grief on non strike days.

How do you think that is having an effect on the general public ?

I don't mean to be too contrary and you make some reasonable points but I don't believe people 'forgot the strike was on', the train times changed!! With regard to your broader point, I suspect you live in Brighton and go to London (or in that direction), trust me, you'd know about it if you lived in Shoreham.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I don't mean to be too contrary and you make some reasonable points but I don't believe people 'forgot the strike was on', the train times changed!! With regard to your broader point, I suspect you live in Brighton and go to London (or in that direction), trust me, you'd know about it if you lived in Shoreham.

Exactly. The strike hardly affects Brighton based commuters at all. A big difference on the coastway lines. Ironically the service is much better for me on strike days.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly. The strike hardly affects Brighton based commuters at all. A big difference on the coastway lines. Ironically the service is much better for me on strike days.

Not THAT ironic tho eh? Anybody who braves the 'strike' days whether it be for work or football invariably finds themselves pleasantly surprised by the enhanced travelling experience due to the thinning out of the throngs. Maybe 'strikes' should become a permanent feature?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

You are correct i do , and i guess it may be a lot worse your way. Point i was trying to make is that a lot of people who are not regular users have indeed not realised that the strike is on and a fair few who do travel up on the main line have virtually brushed it aside as there seems to be some semblance of a normal (shiiite) service..
I was just thinking on what i have observed that the union has lost the impact .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here