Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I freely admit to being stupid, but the RMT have advised the Guards to sign the contracts, thereby accepting the T&Cs? But not accepting the bribe and they are still striking over changes? I support the strikes, I don't agree with DOO trains blah blah blah, but I don't get what's going on now. I've heard talk of ASLEF getting involved ........

Whatever they say or do. Its NOT and NEVER will be about passenger safety, just remember that.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Whatever they say or do. Its NOT and NEVER will be about passenger safety, just remember that.

Well you clearly won't believe me but for this driver it very definitely IS about safety alongside passenger security and the other issues that have been mentioned. Fine if you don't agree and want DOO - that's your prerogative, and you can argue that I'm wrong to say it is safer, but I can hand on heart say this is, for me, predominantly a safety issue.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I freely admit to being stupid, but the RMT have advised the Guards to sign the contracts, thereby accepting the T&Cs? But not accepting the bribe and they are still striking over changes? I support the strikes, I don't agree with DOO trains blah blah blah, but I don't get what's going on now. I've heard talk of ASLEF getting involved ........

Guards have been advised to sign up because if they didn't they would lose their jobs in 12 weeks and the RMT obviously have to make sure their members retain their jobs even if worst case their roles do change. Aslef are inching closer and closer (within the legal constraints) to getting the drivers involved (as they have been trying to do since the start of this dispute).

Yoda

English & European
Precisely.

I got the 10.05 to LB today. Lovely and ON TIME.

I will get the 16.42 home.

Guess what LOVELY DOO. No guards to **** us about. These trains can leave the station NO PROBLEM.

Lucky you. West Coastway this morning, 20 ****ing minutes late!
2 trains every 30 minutes and they can't get that right.
Can't be blamed on guards being on a late running service as they are on strike and only the 3rd train of the day.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Well you clearly won't believe me but for this driver it very definitely IS about safety alongside passenger security and the other issues that have been mentioned. Fine if you don't agree and want DOO - that's your prerogative, and you can argue that I'm wrong to say it is safer, but I can hand on heart say this is, for me, predominantly a safety issue.

In which case why aren't Thameslink/Gatwick Express/London Underground/etc etc drivers downing tools due to the dangerous position they are putting themselves in on a daily basis?

Yoda

English & European
In which case why aren't Thameslink/Gatwick Express/London Underground/etc etc drivers downing tools due to the dangerous position they are putting themselves in on a daily basis?

FFS, here we go again. Thameslink & GE are part of the ASLEF ballot, LU have platform dispatch staff.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
FFS, here we go again. Thameslink & GE are part of the ASLEF ballot,

So Thameslink and Gatwick Express has all of sudden become unsafe?? Righto! If it's unsafe then all RMT members across the country should go on strike.

LU have platform dispatch staff.

No platform staff at East Acton when I commuted from there. Can't ever recall seeing one at Shepherds Bush Market if I went that way either. I expect that to be the case at plenty of the underground stations.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
FFS, here we go again. Thameslink & GE are part of the ASLEF ballot, LU have platform dispatch staff.

The point remains. Thameslink trains are driver only and are therefore inherently dangerous. Why have we seen or heard nothing from the Thameslink drivers before this dispute regarding the peril that passengers, myself included, put themselves through every day? Why are these trains even allowed to run if they are dangerous? Why aren't there daily injuries or fatalities given how dangerous it is in not having a guard?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
FFS, here we go again. Thameslink & GE are part of the ASLEF ballot,

Aslef are proposing to ballot on extending DOO correct, not action on the existing DOO?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The point remains. Thameslink trains are driver only and are therefore inherently dangerous. Why have we seen or heard nothing from the Thameslink drivers before this dispute regarding the peril that passengers, myself included, put themselves through every day? Why are these trains even allowed to run if they are dangerous? Why aren't there daily injuries or fatalities given how dangerous it is in not having a guard?

Ita ok mate. We are indiana jones old chap in fact every time i board the 6.57 DOO to Blackfriars I have the theme tune in my head.

We modern day red adairs putting life and limb on the line fighting the oil rig fire.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
so you have a part-time job in the private sector, what's your problem then?

Full time but an understanding employer for 2016 not 1975

As the bigman says work from home, flexible hrs.

The idiot guards should try it. They might like it x

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So why didn't your train run last night without a guard ?

Because of the silly rule. Do keep up its beem mentioned numerous times. "Southern" want to run without a guard in exeptional circumstances. Your brothers are having none of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here