Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
i don't think treble pay for working a bank holiday is greedy.

Possibly defensible in the 80's but it is the 21st century now, times have changed. If supermarket staff were on treble pay on BH's your food bill would be higher, double bubble on Sundays too? And don't even try to claim that you have never used a supermarket outside of Mon -Sat 9-5 or you will look silly.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
The RMT have to accept change and move on. The unions are holding this country to Ransom and holding it back!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I know very little about this dispute anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I have read in the media that if you require disabled access to a train you will need to give 24hrs notice.
If this is true then surely this is discrimination towards people with disabilities and against the law.
This would not be acceptable in any other circumstance. For example you wouldn't have to inform a shop that you plan to visit 24hrs in advance that you wish to visit and therefore could they arrange disabled access for a particular time.
Also what would happen if Southern cancel the train that you had pre arranged 24 hrs earlier? Would you automatically have disabled access to the next train?

I'm surprised that more has not been made of this issue as it's clearly unacceptable.

Absolutely. Alastair Hignell, former Rugby international and BBC Sport commentator, lives in Sussex Square. Now needs a wheelchair due to MS. Frequently 'tries' to get to meetings in London. This summer his travails ended up on Channel 4 news. No response from Govia though.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/w...bled-ex-rugby-star-trapped-on-train-7slphgx20

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The select committee report was damning of both GTR and the Department of Transport.

"The proportion of services cancelled on GTR's network is now substantially in excess of the default level. In normal circumstances, this would be grounds for termination of the contract," the committee said.

They added: "Should the company be in default(*my note, we do not know this as the relevant sections of franchise agreement remain redacted), the Department for Transport (DfT) must take the opportunity to restructure or terminate the agreement and deliver services in a more effective way for passengers. "The Committee concludes that the DfT's claim that "no other operator" could do a better job in the circumstances is no longer credible."

At last someone in the corridors of power have finally called them out. The DfT also condemned in the report for being 'opaque and evasive' with their answers to the committee. I'd like to think this cosy secretive stitch up is finally starting to fray at the edges.

Yoda

English & European
Screw finally beginning to tighten on DfT over performance of GTR this morning...

'MPs urge ministers to 'get a grip' in midst of Southern strike woes'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37650531

The key part of that report for me is this:
The report considered whether the firm is now in default of its contractual obligations due to the substantial number of train cancellations.
"In normal circumstances, this would be grounds for termination of the contract," the report said.
The DfT's claim that no other operator could do a better job in the circumstances was no longer credible, the committee said.

Yoda

English & European

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
If my relatives in the Old Bill are required to work on their days off or on Bank Holidays, then the amount they are paid is considerably less than that, and I am sure that that goes for every other walk of life. Significantly, you do not mention the day off in lieu -presumably you think this is also reasonable in addition? If that is your view, then you are entitled to it, but I doubt that many employers would think that triple pay and a day off in lieu is reasonable.
Your second sentence is of course a throw-away line to lend a bit of credence to your first assertion - I am sure that very few people would deny that trade unions in the past and present have been responsible for much social progress, and improvement of working conditions and pay. Whether all their actions can be justified because of this, is another matter.

And your relatives are of course really happy in their jobs?
I admit I am living in the past with the treble pay and day off, but I come from a print background.
I only mentioned the trade union movement because ordinary working class people fought to get stuff like bank holidays and the more they become just another day the more likely we will lose them.
I would be more forward thinking, but tbh I feel the UK is going backwards. I really feel for young people in this country. I was a teenager in the 70s and appreciate now what a cushy life I had.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
And your relatives are of course really happy in their jobs?
I admit I am living in the past with the treble pay and day off, but I come from a print background.
I only mentioned the trade union movement because ordinary working class people fought to get stuff like bank holidays and the more they become just another day the more likely we will lose them.
I would be more forward thinking, but tbh I feel the UK is going backwards. I really feel for young people in this country. I was a teenager in the 70s and appreciate now what a cushy life I had.

It wouldn't be going back if people changed their mindsets and accepted that jobs change and evolve over time....Unions like the RMT are holding this country back!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Genuinely feel for commuters today. After three days of "working from home", some may have had to traipse into London, when they may have otherwise have worked at home because it's a Friday and, well, you know - it's Friday.

Extra commuter ninja points to those who are still working at home today having used the "who knows what it will be like the day after a strike?" excuse.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
With the RMT now appearing to be the 'good guys' will they now call off the remaining strikes as a gesture of good faith?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Genuinely feel for commuters today. After three days of "working from home", some may have had to traipse into London, when they may have otherwise have worked at home because it's a Friday and, well, you know - it's Friday.

Extra commuter ninja points to those who are still working at home today having used the "who knows what it will be like the day after a strike?" excuse.

I struggled in - it was a shock when the alarm went off at 6:10am instead of the lazy 7am of the past 3 days (to walk the dog). At least I was able to refill my pokeballs supply on the way across London Bridge.

Looks like it's a repeat next week.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
With the RMT now appearing to be the 'good guys' will they now call off the remaining strikes as a gesture of good faith?

they'll probably add more dates in December.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

:bigwave:

I stupidly thought that given they've had three days off they might have got round to sorting out the diesel stock on the Uckfield line once and for all. Alas no, the two trains I flit between up were both 4 coaches short formed and a later one was 2 coaches short. Luckily it is Friday so quieter than normal so I did get a seat. Will no doubt have the same fun and games going home. After 17 years of commuting I think I'm finally starting to crack and thinking it is time to call it a day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here