Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This is probably a really thick question but you seem to know your stuff. If this is all ultimately leading to guard-free trains and self dispatching why can't they run the trains that they can't staff at the moment without the guard? Why is it unsafe to run without the guard now but not in six months or a year's time?

At the moment the only line that is clear for DOO operation is Brighton to London and that is with restrictions, there are no cameras or dispatch staff on platforms on the East or West Coast and I dare say the Drivers might have something to say about an agreement to work DOO

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
At the moment the only line that is clear for DOO operation is Brighton to London and that is with restrictions, there are no cameras or dispatch staff on platforms on the East or West Coast and I dare say the Drivers might have something to say about an agreement to work DOO

Thanks, your answer makes sense. DOO definitely does not. How can the driver check the signal aspect and the camera at the same time? It would be like asking me to check my kids on CCTV in the back seat of the car every time the traffic lights changed.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Thanks, your answer makes sense. DOO definitely does not. How can the driver check the signal aspect and the camera at the same time? It would be like asking me to check my kids on CCTV in the back seat of the car every time the traffic lights changed.

Somebody went under the train in Scotland last weekend on a DOO train, imagine Friday or Saturday night on the last trains from/to Brighton along the West Coast, how could the driver ensure safe dispatch and maintain a semblance of order on the trains ? The Angmering incident a few years ago happened with a guard looking out, now as soon as the driver has got the door interlock and taken power he is driving the train and looking at signals etc and hasn't a clue what is going on behind him.

But it saves money so that is the important thing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Question for Ernest or anyone in the know. Will the strike on 18 May affect journeys on the 17th as well? I' in London that evening, will I be able to get home?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Somebody went under the train in Scotland last weekend on a DOO train, imagine Friday or Saturday night on the last trains from/to Brighton along the West Coast, how could the driver ensure safe dispatch and maintain a semblance of order on the trains ? The Angmering incident a few years ago happened with a guard looking out, now as soon as the driver has got the door interlock and taken power he is driving the train and looking at signals etc and hasn't a clue what is going on behind him.

But it saves money so that is the important thing.

but DOO doesn't necessarily save money so that can't be the reason for its introduction.
http://www.railmagazine.com/trains/current-trains/the-pros-and-cons-of-driver-only-operation

I would be interested in hearing the other side of the argument. My instinct is that DOO would be less safe because of the risk to the train if the driver is incapacitated (no back up). However, perhaps there are additional (technological) safeguards that are planned ? Whatever happens there are costs to driver only and driver/guard so simply using the knee-jerk 'cuts' argument doesn't really give both sides of the story.
As a by the by I would re-nationalise and de-unionise the railways and treat it as a pure service to the public. This won't happen ever though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nothing from any of those ITK?

I'm trying to work out why there's disruption tonight (because of the effects of the strike) but not tomorrow

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Only just found out on local news that Friday's planned strike is now tomorrow!

Has anybody travelled from Brighton to Victoria on any strike day yet? I normally get the 0630 GE from Brighton, and the 1800 GE back from Victoria. Are they likely to be running?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only just found out on local news that Friday's planned strike is now tomorrow!

Has anybody travelled from Brighton to Victoria on any strike day yet? I normally get the 0630 GE from Brighton, and the 1800 GE back from Victoria. Are they likely to be running?

GE and Thameslink have run on past strike days. I was going to have to go to London for a mandatory meeting and asked a mate who commutes from Preston Park every day including strike days. He's travelling again tomorrow but I managed to get my meeting date changed :)

At Brighton today there were announcements saying a queuing system would apply for a "greatly reduced service" with overcrowding likely and first class declassified

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Southern guards don't help themselves do they. An absolute helmet on the 17.08 West Worthing to Victoria. On his phone, earphones in listening to music and watching stuff on his phone.

Not even getting up when the doors are open to do his safety thing, just casually wandering over once they've been open for ages.

Can't kept the stopping order of the train right. Apparently Gatwick is after East Croydon [emoji85]

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Southern guards don't help themselves do they. An absolute helmet on the 17.08 West Worthing to Victoria. On his phone, earphones in listening to music and watching stuff on his phone.

Not even getting up when the doors are open to do his safety thing, just casually wandering over once they've been open for ages.

Can't kept the stopping order of the train right. Apparently Gatwick is after East Croydon [emoji85]

Any one of those are sackable offences , gross misconduct

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
SASTA have surpassed themselves at Preston Park today.

7.07 to Bedford cancelled due to fault on a train
7.17 to Victoria cancelled due to fault on a train
7.36 to London Bridge cancelled due to a guard throwing a deliberate sickie (sorry, I meant shortage of crew)

Really doing well to win the confidence of passengers/customers/whatever we are.

albionite

May 20, 2009
SASTA have surpassed themselves at Preston Park today.

7.07 to Bedford cancelled due to fault on a train
7.17 to Victoria cancelled due to fault on a train
7.36 to London Bridge cancelled due to a guard throwing a deliberate sickie (sorry, I meant shortage of crew)

Really doing well to win the confidence of passengers/customers/whatever we are.
That's if you really believe that there was shortage of crew. Plenty of trains cancelled last week with both crew present but company putting it down to guards.

Their latest is now saying drivers going sick but it's more down to them also stopping working their rest days.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That's if you really believe that there was shortage of crew. Plenty of trains cancelled last week with both crew present but company putting it down to guards.

Their latest is now saying drivers going sick but it's more down to them also stopping working their rest days.

Bloody disgrace. Let's get the evidence and get this shower shown the door.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Bloody disgrace. Let's get the evidence and get this shower shown the door.

4 Conductors out of a roster of 116 at Brighton sick at the moment and none can be put down to going sick deliberately, even better last week was Southern cancelling the 1646 to Tattenham Corner for not having a Conductor when there hasn't been one on a train there for 30 years.

They are cancelling trains for no other reason now to piss off the travellers and try to prove the point it is all the Guards fault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here