Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's rather damning.

Would the RMT publish something they aren't 100% on?

yes. i saw this last week, its originally from a retweet on the RMT twitter. look at the document objectively, it is clearly not an actual memo, but a truncated part of some meeting minutes/report/email, and there's no clear authorship. (beaten by Bozza).

looking at the content, it fits a narrative that DOO is about cost cutting (surprised?) however also opens up there is a range of strategy and outcomes ahead. it shows that there is strategic objective to move to DOO that will be put in the franchises as they come up (again, surprised?).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Just been on Swedish and Danish trains this morning. Cluster****.....not one train on time and the final (turned out to be penultimate) train didn't stop at our station in order to make up time. As it was the airport there were a lot of pissed of people. Felt like home.

To be fair they probably knew you were coming and would want to make visitors from the south east of England very welcome.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
RMT RESPONDS TO LATEST SOUTHERN ATTACK

10 October 2016RMT Press Office:General Secretary Mick Cash said;
RMT can confirm the receipt of a formal legal challenge from Southern Rail in the guards safety dispute. It is appaling that rather than sitting down with us at ACAS today to seek a resolution the company have chosen to run to the courts under the cloak of the anti-union laws. The union intends to continue with the planned action and is examining the details of the paperwork. We will issue a further statement in due course.

Ends

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-responds-to-latest-southern-attack/

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
So I've got to be in London for a conference next Thursday, which I believe is one of the strike days. Need to be at the o2 by about 9ish. Will it be worth attempting the train, or am I gonna be better getting the National Express coach? Going up to London Bridge by train seems best option (as can catch the Jubilee), but I'm guessing the Thameslink trains will be rammed as they're not effected by the strike.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So I've got to be in London for a conference next Thursday, which I believe is one of the strike days. Need to be at the o2 by about 9ish. Will it be worth attempting the train, or am I gonna be better getting the National Express coach? Going up to London Bridge by train seems best option (as can catch the Jubilee), but I'm guessing the Thameslink trains will be rammed as they're not effected by the strike.

I personally wouldn't chance the train if you need to be there for 9am although strike days do tend to not be as messed up as a regular day ironically.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've always commuted through the strikes and actually the services have been fine and quieter as most people don't bother trying to travel. I think you'll be fine.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Trains are a total mess today. Engineering works over running plus strike. No trains at present from Brighton London bound.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Absolute thunder*****

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Utter incompetence, bus replacements until 10am.

According to the Argus busses are between HH and Three Bridges, no mention of busses from Brighton Brighton http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1479...ail_strike___passengers_stranded_at_stations/

[FONT=&quot]Travel chaos has left passengers stranded at railway stations on the first day of strike action.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]There are no train services due to over-running engineering works.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A limited replacement bus service operates between Haywards Heath and Three Bridges in both directions, causing delays further down the line.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is caused by the over-running works, which [/FONT]Network Rail[FONT=&quot] says it is "working as fast as possible to resolve".[/FONT]

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Total bloody disaster today.

Up at 6am to catch the early train and, no trains. OK, this is down the engineering works and outside Southern's control, but it's the straw that breaks the camel's back. I know engineering is planned, and we don't know what problems were unearthed - because communication is so awful - but didn't someone at Network Rail stop to think this was high risk given the fact that a strike is happening?

And what is this strike actually about?

As I understand it, Southern are guaranteeing jobs until 2021; salary rises in line with inflation; guaranteeing a second member of staff on the train etc. so what the hell is this strike now about? Don't tell me it is about safety as the Thameslink trains have been driver operated for ages, and as the Rail Safety Standards Board has said:

“RSSB (and its predecessor organisation “Rail Safety”) have carried out a number of detailed research projects into various aspects of Driver Only Operation on passenger trains over the past 15 years. None of these pieces of work has identified any increased risk from dispatching a train without a guard being present - providing the correct procedures have been followed. The removal of any possible miscommunication, which could exist between driver and guard could, potentially, deliver some safety benefits."

Is this strike actually about the RMT retaining control of train despatch so that it has power over the operator?

Commuting during the strikes has been usually been fine because many people choose to work at home or stagger when they arrive at their workplace (there's a whole separate thread on challenging common working hours). Perhaps if we changed our habits we could reduce the need for the number of train services.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The goon in charge of Southern Rail was spinning like a top on Radio 4 this morning.

Yoda

English & European
Total bloody disaster today.

Up at 6am to catch the early train and, no trains. OK, this is down the engineering works and outside Southern's control, but it's the straw that breaks the camel's back. I know engineering is planned, and we don't know what problems were unearthed - because communication is so awful - but didn't someone at Network Rail stop to think this was high risk given the fact that a strike is happening?

And what is this strike actually about?

As I understand it, Southern are guaranteeing jobs until 2021; salary rises in line with inflation; guaranteeing a second member of staff on the train etc. so what the hell is this strike now about? Don't tell me it is about safety as the Thameslink trains have been driver operated for ages, and as the Rail Safety Standards Board has said:

“RSSB (and its predecessor organisation “Rail Safety”) have carried out a number of detailed research projects into various aspects of Driver Only Operation on passenger trains over the past 15 years. None of these pieces of work has identified any increased risk from dispatching a train without a guard being present - providing the correct procedures have been followed. The removal of any possible miscommunication, which could exist between driver and guard could, potentially, deliver some safety benefits."

Is this strike actually about the RMT retaining control of train despatch so that it has power over the operator?

Commuting during the strikes has been usually been fine because many people choose to work at home or stagger when they arrive at their workplace (there's a whole separate thread on challenging common working hours). Perhaps if we changed our habits we could reduce the need for the number of train services.

It is still because of that reason. Southern want to be able run DOO on ALL routes (even those not safe to do so. Remember, the old crappy 313 types that run the coastway services don't have any cameras or mirrors for the driver to operate safely) with or without that 2nd member if they get held up on other services.

I would take anything the RSSB take with a very big pinch of salt after yesterday revelation. They're meant to be an independent board but are in fact made up of execs of the TOC's, so are only going to have their own interests at heart, not ours or their employees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here