Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I understand that, but nothing is being achieved! Surely it's obvious that only people that are suffering are the commuters. I'm a trade unionist myself, but this whole situation is massively taking the mick. It's mostly Southern's fault, I'm not excusing them but RMTs act of continuous striking is not serving any purpose.

Even Captain Strike ( [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION]) said somewhere on this thread that many old RMT sorts thought the strike was counter-productive. I guess it's the only weapon they have in their armoury so they have to keep doing it.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I understand that, but nothing is being achieved! Surely it's obvious that only people that are suffering are the commuters. I'm a trade unionist myself, but this whole situation is massively taking the mick. It's mostly Southern's fault, I'm not excusing them but RMTs act of continuous striking is not serving any purpose.

Agreed. RMT could win the public's hearts and minds very easily if they adopted a more imaginative approach to industrial action - one which doesn't adversely affect the people who are caught in the crossfire. i.e. the passengers.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The choice of the DATE is cynical - you can't tell me they didn't purposely choose that date for any reason than to cause CUSTOMERS and event holders ( including the Albion ) maximum pain and inconvenience ?

And what about the commuters that have lost pay, and in some cases their jobs ? The strikers couldn't give a shite about them.

Your actually right, my cousin is involved heavily in this action and has said on many occasions that she couldn't give a shit about the customers, when I suggested that like her they were ordinary honest hard working people who probably put more of a shift in during the working week than her , the best response I got was "more fool them then"

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Agreed. RMT could win the public's hearts and minds very easily if they adopted a more imaginative approach to industrial action - one which doesn't adversely affect the people who are caught in the crossfire. i.e. the passengers.

Spot on.

All they have got is striking. Should be winning hearts and getting public onside.

Look at the falmer campaign, imagine if we just marched non stop

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Spot on.

All they have got is striking. Should be winning hearts and getting public onside.

Look at the falmer campaign, imagine if we just marched non stop
The situation is getting beyond a joke, it really is. Continual strikes that are having no outcome other than massive passenger inconvenience, but seemingly no other options for getting towards some form of resolution.

The RMT needs to think of a way of getting passenger support as most of us know the problem is SASTA and the government, but the continued strike action is going to completely alienate the RMT from the public and remove any remaining sympathy at this rate.

Wish I had a bright idea. It's desperate.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The situation is getting beyond a joke, it really is. Continual strikes that are having no outcome other than massive passenger inconvenience, but seemingly no other options for getting towards some form of resolution.

The RMT needs to think of a way of getting passenger support as most of us know the problem is SASTA and the government, but the continued strike action is going to completely alienate the RMT from the public and remove any remaining sympathy at this rate.

Wish I had a bright idea. It's desperate.

I said it earlier in the thread - how feasible it is I don't know...

Have all the staff turn up for work, but have the barriers open at all SASTA-operated stations to allow passengers through without tickets being checked. That way, revenue is affected, but there should be a full (as full as SASTA could ever operate) service, and full safety is in operation.

Season-ticket commuters may consider letting people on for effectively nothing isn't fair - but for the occasional one-off...?

Just an idea.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Just sack say 10% of them and then watch the other 90% work like dogs....

1. On what grounds?

2. Which 10%?

3. A 10% reduction in staff is only going to cause further problems for passengers, as even more trains will be cancelled.

4. The other 90% would have a much more justified reason to strike than now.

5. Sacking some employees would only further dismatle industrial relations - with the possibility of making strikes go national.

6. It would resolve nothing.

Aside from that, great idea.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Have all the staff turn up for work, but have the barriers open at all SASTA-operated stations to allow passengers through without tickets being checked. That way, revenue is affected, but there should be a full (as full as SASTA could ever operate) service, and full safety is in operation.

Season-ticket commuters may consider letting people on for effectively nothing isn't fair - but for the occasional one-off...?

Just an idea.

good idea but 1 word . . . commission .

I believe guards get a % for tickets sold on board.

So they wont want to lose that of course !!!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
1. On what grounds?

2. Which 10%?

3. A 10% reduction in staff is only going to cause further problems for passengers, as even more trains will be cancelled.

4. The other 90% would have a much more justified reason to strike than now.

5. Sacking some employees would only further dismatle industrial relations - with the possibility of making strikes go national.

6. It would resolve nothing.

Aside from that, great idea.

I don't know why you waste your time responding

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Cynical? Losing 14 days pay is cyncial is it?

Cynical in which days they choose to strike regardless of thoughts to customers . Like Southern , they too dont give a toss to the commuter

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just sack say 10% of them and then watch the other 90% work like dogs....

Forget that, sack 100% of them and replace them with people who want to work.
I had little sympathy for them in the first place but now I have to commute to work so that little bit has well and truly gone.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Am I missing something??

Southern have said the guards will still have a job on the train in a more customer service role rather than operating the doors.

What is the problemo? not like they are losing their jobs! We all have to accept change at some point in our working lives..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

funny thats what i said from the start but rounded on for such an opinion. the general public will blame the union and the conductors for this and wider issues as a consequence, because they've never publicly made a clear case. and at this stage its a stand off, with all but the agreed exemptions to the guaranteed guard on a train, the RMT expect Southern to abandon the whole DOO programme. what purpose do they think strikes will serve, other than to provoke government intervention, which according to their narrative are backing Southern. makes no sense.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cynical? Losing 14 days pay is cyncial is it?

its highly cynical when you look at the pattern of the strikes, Tues-Thurs except Thurs-Sat to cover bonfire night.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Just an idea.

Revenue Protection are on the trains, strike days they wear guards uniforms

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here