Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why should staff work rest days to cover management incompetence?

I could not give 2 shits about the wrongs or rights. I pay a huge amount because I have to work in London, my productivity is at an all time low and I am cancelling customer meetings all over the place because I quite simply can't get to London either remotely on time, or at all.

If the situation is that bad, dissolve the company, fire all staff and start again because it is getting beyond a joke now - especially if staff are now unofficially striking.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Sort of. Guards have been bullied by GTR so many are not working their rest days-and why should they, especially when they have had all their privileges revoked including the ability to swap shifts and there are quite a few guards off sick - probably due to stress. There is zero goodwill towards the company from any member of staff now. Another factor is that GTR are quite enjoying cancelling trains. I know for a fact that trains have been cancelled this morning where there was both a guard and a driver available to work it. And for any of those inconvenienced by last week's strike on Wednesday eve - even though the strike ended at 11.00 am most trains were cancelled through to the end of the day for no reason. There were tons of drivers and guards just sitting doing nothing all evening because GTR had cancelled almost everything. GTR are playing a dirty game here and in over 20 years of employment I've never known a more disgusting outfit.

I am not surprised that people are no longer working their rest days. I stand to be corrected but did not someone post here before that GTR can only fulfill the timetable with people working rest days and doing overtime etc, that the base staff levels were not enough to make the timetable works.

I had plenty of staff related shenanigans on the way home yesterday, but am fully sympathetic towards the beleagured staff.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I thought the swapping of rest days was something southern stopped staff doing? How can they then complain when staff won't do it at southern's behest?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I could not give 2 shits about the wrongs or rights. I pay a huge amount because I have to work in London, my productivity is at an all time low and I am cancelling customer meetings all over the place because I quite simply can't get to London either remotely on time, or at all.

If the situation is that bad, dissolve the company, fire all staff and start again because it is getting beyond a joke now - especially if staff are now unofficially striking.

Well if you don't care about the wrongs and rights then don't "hope southern take action against these staff". Southern are offering a hopeless service for commuters like you who pay a huge amount and have a right to expect a half decent service. I wouldn't expect commuters to care about who's to blame but you've clearly come to the conclusion that it's front line staff who are to blame and that is wrong.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
No doubt. Hope Southern take action against these staff.

You do realise this is an issue entirely the fault of the company, not the staff, don't you? So why blame the staff?

There is more to this than just you.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wouldn't expect commuters to care about who's to blame but you've clearly come to the conclusion that it's front line staff who are to blame and that is wrong.

If staff are illegally striking, then I am quite right to take my anger out at them.

Incidentally been on a Brighton to Victoria train for an hour, not seen or heard from a guard at all.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I am not surprised that people are no longer working their rest days. I stand to be corrected but did not someone post here before that GTR can only fulfill the timetable with people working rest days and doing overtime etc, that the base staff levels were not enough to make the timetable works.
Correct. Good way to run a business eh?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

It does seem that perhaps you are choosing to believe that there is an unofficial strike with just hearsay to base it on ???

If it's a case of previously staff goodwill covered sickness, then if all goodwill is crushed out of staff then inevitably the unofficial sickness cover will be one of the first things to disappear.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005

I have a lot of sympathy with this as it affects me too.

However in over 20 years of commuting, (covering network south east, network south Central, connex south Central, southern and now the new franchise Inc southern/thameslink and great northern) I have never known such a toxic situation as we now have. Connex were bad but the staff look demoralised beyond belief now

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You do realise this is an issue entirely the fault of the company, not the staff, don't you? So why blame the staff?

There is more to this than just you.

Todays problem ARE down to staff. Unless Southern are lying and there is not a 'higher than normal amount of staff sickness' ?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
If staff are illegally striking, then I am quite right to take my anger out at them.

Incidentally been on a Brighton to Victoria train for an hour, not seen or heard from a guard at all.

They aren't. And if it's Brighton to Victoria there is a good chance it's driver only.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Todays problem ARE down to staff. Unless Southern are lying and there is not a 'higher than normal amount of staff sickness' ?
There's a 'higher than normal amount of staff sickness' this week in my office.

No one is striking.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The way southern management is behaving has totally changed my view. I've never seen such actions from the management of a company. Unbelievable.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005

There's a higher than normal level of sickness at my football training. Are they on strike?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe I'm over reacting but someone needs to sort this shit out. This isn't some private organisation, it's a service millions rely on, and to have 3h30m from leaving my house in Worthing to getting to Aldgate East is not acceptable

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I have a lot of sympathy with this as it affects me too.

However in over 20 years of commuting, (covering network south east, network south Central, connex south Central, southern and now the new franchise Inc southern/thameslink and great northern) I have never known such a toxic situation as we now have. Connex were bad but the staff look demoralised beyond belief now

It's true. I have never known anything like it. I've had no major issue with Southern for years but since GTR took over the franchise last year it's like a bunch of bullying, vindictive, penny pinching, lying and incompetent management have taken over.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Maybe I'm over reacting but someone needs to sort this shit out. This isn't some private organisation, it's a service millions rely on, and to have 3h30m from leaving my house in Worthing to getting to Aldgate East is not acceptable

Couldn't agree more. You have a right to expect a far better service but you need to complain to the right people-GTR management and ultimately the Dft who are pushing all this forward.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There is a higher level of sickness at the moment as Doctors are signing staff off, no sick note no pay so a Doctor has said that these people are not fit to be in charge of a train and taking care of their safety etc due to the bullying and harassment they are getting by Southern managers.

Strikes next week OFF and replaced by one on Friday 20th May 0001 - 23 59

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here