Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail Refunds for not being able to get to games at the Amex - its on!

The response of SASTA to the OP seems to accept that a refund might be made BY SOUTHERN, if the value of the concession can be identified. It has been ... £4.

I can't see any reason not to pursue Southern for this. They've offered something. Take it.

But don't ask the Club to pay anything.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree that the £4 is not something to bother the club with, but how much Tony Bloom chooses to spend every day, every week, month and season is his choice, and his choice alone, and he can afford it, it should not be a stick to beat the fans with. A billionaire can afford £1m a month for many, many years (80 years or so), and still be a multi millionaire. I'm not at all ungrateful, I love the man, and love what's he's built and building for the Albion, and the fans. Some fans may only go because he forks out so much cash on subsidising the club, some fans would go if we were L1 mid table, regardless.

If he didn't continue throwing so much money at the club, we'd need a new owner pretty quickly who could.
My point was that the transport situation has cost him another half a million quid.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The response of SASTA to the OP seems to accept that a refund might be made BY SOUTHERN, if the value of the concession can be identified. It has been ... £4.

I can't see any reason not to pursue Southern for this. They've offered something. Take it.

But don't ask the Club to pay anything.

But Southern don't get all of that £4 though? The subsidy goes to several places.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
But Southern don't get all of that £4 though? The subsidy goes to several places.

Surely their payment to SASTA will be based on a percentage of supporters who use their service. Therefore I'd argue that for an individual who uses the train, that is the sum paid for that service.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You're contract is with the club not Southern. Try contacting Paul Barber for compensation.

And really you'd be getting a couple of quid for the games that did have disruption...

I have a felling that not only that. I would imagine that The Club probably pay Southern Rail for the subsidised travel of their fans to and from the ground on match days. That would mean that Southern Rail and the Club have a contract for the travel paid and thus any refund would be due to the Club and not the individual.

Don't think anyone could begrudge the club claiming any refund that might be due, given the amounts of money the Chairman has ploughed into the Club.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Coming from crawley, I buy a ticket to Haywards heath for £5.70, on the occasions where I have given up and gone home, or been very delayed, I haven't bothered with the reclaim as claiming £5.70, or half that for a half hour delay, is hardly worth the effort. If I were paying the full fare from Crawley to Falmer, £10.20 I probably would.
I hope that come the end of the season, Albion claim compensation for lack of service. Southern have not only failed to provide the required transport, they have failed to notify the club in a timely manor on occasion, denying the club the opportunity to put into operation it's contingency plans.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Surely their payment to SASTA will be based on a percentage of supporters who use their service. Therefore I'd argue that for an individual who uses the train, that is the sum paid for that service.
No.

The £4 each of us pays is totalled up.

Tony puts in a big lump sum.

A part of this is then paid to the trains. A part to the buses. A part to the park and ride. A part for cycle rack provision etc.

No fan's £4 goes to 1 particular transport provider.

Southern Fail don't get a different amount each match depending on numbers actually using the train. It is a lump sum for the season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We're in an absolutely pivotal transfer window in what could be THE defining season in the Albion's history, with the CEO at the very heart of matters. And you recommend thousands of fans flood his inbox about a refund of a couple of quid on a train ticket? :facepalm:

Just leave the bloke alone!

I think you're being a bit over dramatic here. Barber has said himself he's keen for supporter exchanges and often addresss issues personally and also releases FAQs. All I'm suggesting is that this question is added to the list in the way others get brought to his attention.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
No.

The £4 each of us pays is totalled up.

Tony puts in a big lump sum.

A part of this is then paid to the trains. A part to the buses. A part to the park and ride. A part for cycle rack provision etc.

No fan's £4 goes to 1 particular transport provider.

Southern Fail don't get a different amount each match depending on numbers actually using the train. It is a lump sum for the season.

Thank you for posting this so I don't have to. It'll be a preset sum for the length of contract. If Southern suspect the number of fans is higher than expected, or the club suspect it's lower, then this'll be factored in next time they negotiate the contract and associated fee. The best you can say is what proportion, and associated monetary sum, of the £4 goes to each of the transport providers, which is essentially what Southern are asking for. I very much suspect they wouldn't pay even if presented with the details, but that's another matter.

Masky

Jan 15, 2011
I think you have missed the point - the money is for the club - not me! This is a way for the club to get it...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think you have missed the point - the money is for the club - not me! This is a way for the club to get it...

If this is the case I am sure the club will have a pretty solid negotiating stance with GTR as why their latest invoice remains unpaid so best leave all of this in the hands of Paul Barber

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here