Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Counties Radio Match Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northolt_seagull

Aug 10, 2005
Northolt
I am outside of the SCR range for FM and DAB so hoped to pick up the commentary for last night on the internet but SCR on the BBC was playing Radio Kent when I tried to 'Listen Now'

The infuriating thing was that the lass running the show indicated that there was commentary for Gillingham fans available on the web !!!!!!!

As a newbie to picking up internet commentary for the Seaguls, apart from the Offish site, is there a regular broadcast through Auntie on the web and so last night was just an off night or have others suffered as I have?

Bob

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I'm in the same boat - its a right pisser. I refuse to pay for Seagulls World as
A) it's crap
and
B) commentary should be free for all to access.

Northolt_seagull

Aug 10, 2005
Northolt
I did try looking at Radio Berkshire but there seemed to be technical difficulties even getting webcast faciliites through them.

I did point out to someone I spoke to at the beeb that Gillingham were not in the Championship now !!!!

Northolt_seagull

Aug 10, 2005
Northolt
Normal Rob said:
I'm in the same boat - its a right pisser. I refuse to pay for Seagulls World as
A) it's crap
and
B) commentary should be free for all to access.

The problem is that if you live locally, fine, listen to SCR happily. When you live outside of their broadcast area there seems to be this idea that you may not want to actually listen in.

Very weird......

In the past, I've listened to rugby games on the internet for premiership games and am intrigued as to whether this will be available this coming season.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
You could use the BBC Sport site during games. They have a videprinter which auto-updates every 2 minutes (or you can refresh whenever you want.) It's not terribly exciting, but it's fast and accurate and bearing in mind that listening on SCR is a frustrating experience at the best of times, it's probably as good as anything.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/live_text/default.stm

Northolt_seagull said:
In the past, I've listened to rugby games on the internet for premiership games and am intrigued as to whether this will be available this coming season.

Yes, all Premiership rugby games are broadcast on the net by the Beeb. But there are only 6 of them a week, it will be interesting to see if the BBC go down this road with football, there might be commercial considerations that prevent this.

Northolt_seagull

Aug 10, 2005
Northolt
Nice to find a paddies fan :)

Will be supporting you guys on at Twickers in a couple of weeks.

Sad (NOT) that Queens had to ruin the 'London' Double Header concept - we're all gutted, I know.

Bob

(a die hard Waspie)

Northolt_seagull said:
Sad (NOT) that Queens had to ruin the 'London' Double Header concept - we're all gutted, I know.

To be honest, we've taken pity on them and granted them a pre-season friendly this Friday. We all have to put something back into the sport and help out these struggling lower league teams :smokin: :drink:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I have tried listening to SCR via the web on match days but always get the alternative schedule.

I would have thought it would be possible for them to give the option but wonder if the club has some arrangement with them thereby forcing listeners outside the area to subscribe to SW.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Northolt_seagull said:
The problem is that if you live locally, fine, listen to SCR happily. When you live outside of their broadcast area there seems to be this idea that you may not want to actually listen in.

Very weird......

If Southern Counties was broadcast more widely, you'd lose other local radio stations. In all fairness to your good self, the number of people in Northolt who want to listen to commentary on Brighton games is probably fairly minimal compared to the number of people who'd rather listen to Radio Northolt, which may well broadcast on the same frequency.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Talksport give goal update all the time and you can access that via the web. I find using talksport and NSC or the chatroom, plus a bit of BBC works quite well. Although the BBc always seems to be left behind a bit. Think you can also watch skysports news over the web and they have goals as they happen, the banter on there is pretty good too.

As far as I understand it the people who run Seagulls World have a contract with the BBC for the commentary on the condition that this commentary is NOT available on the web. I subscribe to Seagulls World and although I occasionally look at some of the content the main reason is for the commentary. If it was available on the web I would not subscribe to SW.
And although it breaks up from time to time (we are in the middle of the country with an internet connection by satellite) it is still worth it. After all it's only roughly the price of two home tickets for commentary on all home and away games.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Cadiz Seagull said:
As far as I understand it the people who run Seagulls World have a contract with the BBC for the commentary on the condition that this commentary is NOT available on the web. I subscribe to Seagulls World and although I occasionally look at some of the content the main reason is for the commentary. If it was available on the web I would not subscribe to SW.
And although it breaks up from time to time (we are in the middle of the country with an internet connection by satellite) it is still worth it. After all it's only roughly the price of two home tickets for commentary on all home and away games.

That is interesting because I am sure I read when logging on to the commentary that the BBC aren't paid for providing it, so how could PTV demand that and why would the BBC comply?.

I agree that matchlive is worth paying for as it's the only way I can listen to the commentary but I think it stinks that you have to pay extra to hear news and other stuff that should be available to fans for free.

Northolt_seagull

Aug 10, 2005
Northolt
Grendel said:
If Southern Counties was broadcast more widely, you'd lose other local radio stations. In all fairness to your good self, the number of people in Northolt who want to listen to commentary on Brighton games is probably fairly minimal compared to the number of people who'd rather listen to Radio Northolt, which may well broadcast on the same frequency.

What I'm looking at is not the DAB/FM bandwidth rather the internet broadcasting. This bears no relevance to location etc.

I almost feel that the development of internet broadcasting by Auntie is beneficial to not only those Seagulls in Northolt but also around the world who can't receive SCR by radio means.

Well, I'm pleased I didn't suffer last night on the basis that I couldn't find the web commentary on Auntie rather it only exists on the Offish site for a premium charge STFAGOS

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
swindonseagull said:
its still free if your ISP is NTL.

How do you access that then, my ISP is ntl, and I have no idea how to access Seagulls World via them.

Jul 7, 2003
I think it only applies for certgain price plans - if you've got the basic service (like me) you don't get SW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here