Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southend - w**kers

Albion Rob

Am I right in saying that Southend United were the only football league club not to send flowers to John Prescott?

If that is the case then they are a f***ing disgrace.

Now, I can understand fans not wanting to send flowers because it is not really their battle and we have had rivalries to differing extents with most of them over the years, but for an actual football club to show such disregard for their fellow professionals is shocking.

Not that their bunch would have made a lot of odds, but the message coming from Roots Hall is that Southend don't give a shit about their fellow football folk at Brighton. They're saying they don't care if we don't get the ground and end up going bust.

That is a disgusting attitude for one football club to hold and I personally am going to hate them from now on, not their fans, just the club itself.

In fact, I hope they fold.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No Rob.

I think the truth is that we couldn't get official approval from Southend United in time. The same goes for Orient, Palace and Sunderland. The flowers were sent but there was no official message from these clubs.

Albion Rob

In that case I take back what I said, I thought I read that they were the only club not to send, but I must have misread a post.

Um...good luck for the rest of the season you Shrimpers.

*quietly slopes away and considers laying low for the day*

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
I remember definitely seeing a message from Orient - in fact the outcry of disgust as a fellow flower man carried it over the road. Was the tag later removed?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Palace weren't represented either but that was only because Simon Jordan couldn't be contacted to get his approval.

Southend on the other hand....

At look at Div 3 could explain why they may prefer us to be out of business. Maybe they think that if we fold and they are in a relegation spot, they won't go down? I hope they get relegated now.

P GD PTS

17 Cambridge Utd 29 -8 34
18 Bury 30 -12 34
19 Boston United 28 -5 32
20 Kidderminster 30 -12 32
21 Macclesfield 30 -10 31
22 Southend Utd 29 -17 29
23 Darlington 30 -13 28
24 Carlisle United 29 -21 21

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
bhafc4eva said:
Palace there's a f***ing suprise

Come on, be fair. There's a good number of their fans who have supported our cause over the years. They turned up at Fans United, they did their more than their bit for the REMF, and half of their fans still back the new ground, despite the fact that it would mean us having a better ground than them - because what's the point of having a rivallry with no rivals.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Eastleigh Seagull said:
I remember definitely seeing a message from Orient - in fact the outcry of disgust as a fellow flower man carried it over the road. Was the tag later removed?

Presumably, unless I'm wrong about them not giving approval.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Would still like to see Southend get relegated to the Conference though, purely on the grounds that it's a nasty place, a crappy ground, and we frequently lose to them!

Come on Darlo!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Desert Orchid said:
Presumably his mobile phone wasn't working ;)

Good point. I still can't see him refusing our request on purpose unless he's looking to intenify the rivalry even further.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Albion Rob said:
...........I personally am going to hate them from now on, not their fans, just the club itself.

In fact, I hope they fold.

The fans are the club. Maybe not legally but Moraly.

Albion Rob

No, when Bellotti and Archer were here, they were 'the club' we were just the fans.

It works both ways. from what I can make out, Millwall are a pretty good club, but their fans are, by and large, tossers.

I think that most times they are inextricably linked, but not always, hence fans revolts at places like Noriwch and Aston Villa.

And what about "Wimbledon" FC's message? Apparently it will be a terrible thing if our area loses its football club.

**Bites lip** **Grits teeth**

We are grateful for all the support our cause is getting.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's surely not appropriate to have a go at people who don't support us, just be very grateful to those that do. They don't have to and have all got their own problems. No-one owes us a living. I'm amazed at the number of clubs that did send flowers, all credit to the campaigners.

Albion Rob

I'm not bothered about fans not getting behind us as it is their decision and I'm sure we have pissed enough of them off in the past by various means.

But if a club had taken the decision not to support the campaign then I think it is a bit off because they are all supposed to be fellow professionals and therefore should not want to see another club go out of business.

I know a bunch of flowers is basicaally nothing, but it is the message it would send out.

If the boot was on the other foot and the Albion had not bothered to send a bunch of flowers for another club then I would be ashamed.

But it seems they did send them, so it doesn't matter anyway.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Tooting Gull said:
It's surely not appropriate to have a go at people who don't support us, just be very grateful to those that do. They don't have to and have all got their own problems. No-one owes us a living. I'm amazed at the number of clubs that did send flowers, all credit to the campaigners.

Quite right. Judge people on their actions not in-actions. southend have their own problems including being rivals to Orient.

Oh and fans are the club, if the fans leave so does the club. Its a symbiotic relationship but anyone can run clubs including administrators.

Last edited:

Albion Rob

That's exactly my point though Looney. Fans come and pay their money week in week out, whatever the club does. But this doesnb't necessarily mean they endorse the decisions the club makes. Case in point was the Archer and Bellotti era.

All I am trying to do is distinguish between the fans who may well have helped us and the club who may well have not.

I agree you should judge people on their actions - but what if that action was to chuck a letter asking for support straight in the bin.

As you say, they have their own problems, but so did we at Gillingham, didn't stop us getting behind Doncaster though.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Stumpy Tim said:
Since the REMF thing, I don't really dislike Palace anymore. For me, Pompey are the worst team in the world & all energies should be concentrated on them.

The message from Pompey was a personal one from Milan Mandaridj (sp?). They did their bit for yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here