Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southampton v Palace - what do we want?

What result do you want tonight?

• Southampton win

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 89 67.4%
  • Palace Win

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Palace to lose, please.

Followed by Southampton having their three points deducted, for fielding a not-properly-registered new player.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
3) Er, Southampton have been in the Premier league ONE season longer than Palace
2) What has the fact that they average 7,000 fewer than Southampton got to with anything? Are you familiar with the insignificance of average attendance at this level?
1) So the fact that Southampton have sold their best player makes them more likely to finish above us?

Apart from that, great post. :dunce:

So you think an established Prem side with a more expensive squad than us and at least 75m to spend will finish below us?
Let's talk at the end of the season when you've been proved wrong.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Ah my mistake, that seems reasonable. I thought Palace had been terrible away this season. I presume you have simply been shithouse in every single away game before those 4?

Well yes..Palace have lost away to...Man city, Man unt, Liverpool, Spurs and Burnley. But at least they are out of the way now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So you think an established Prem side with a more expensive squad than us and at least 75m to spend will finish below us?
Let's talk at the end of the season when you've been proved wrong.

You continue to struggle. The point is that Palace AND Southampton are BOTH expected to finish above us. With that in mind, it is probably better for us that this one is a draw.

Or are you saying that Palace are not expected to finish above us, what with a more expensive squad than us? Note that they too would have squillions to spend if they sold Zaha. I'm not sure that would actually help them though. For all that £75m is a lot of money, Southampton will not benefit unless they can improve their first XI with that money. We might yet find that they end up buying a complete duffer. The only reason they sold him was because he wanted a move to a big club, his heart wasn't in it at Southampton anymore.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
You continue to struggle. The point is that Palace AND Southampton are BOTH expected to finish above us. With that in mind, it is probably better for us that this one is a draw.

Or are you saying that Palace are not expected to finish above us, what with a more expensive squad than us? Note that they too would have squillions to spend if they sold Zaha. I'm not sure that would actually help them though. For all that £75m is a lot of money, Southampton will not benefit unless they can improve their first XI with that money. We might yet find that they end up buying a complete duffer. The only reason they sold him was because he wanted a move to a big club, his heart wasn't in it at Southampton anymore.

I'm not struggling.You are.

I'm not hearing Southampton mentioned much regards the issue of relagation in the papers,TV etc.I guess you know more than everyone else.

Before the season Palace and Southampton were expected to finish above us yes.Halfway through the season Palace are less likely
to due to their poor form although they have improved under Woy.'If' they sold Zaha?They haven't and won't so why even say it.
Even if Southampton do not spend a penny of the 75m I still think like most experts they will finish above us.Hope not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not struggling.You are.

I'm not hearing Southampton mentioned much regards the issue of relagation in the papers,TV etc.I guess you know more than everyone else.

Before the season Palace and Southampton were expected to finish above us yes.Halfway through the season Palace are less likely
to due to their poor form although they have improved under Roy.'If' they sold Zaha?They haven't and won't so why even say it.
Even if Southampton do not spend a penny of the 75m I still think like most experts they will finish above us.Hope not.

No it's still you I'm afraid.

We're halfway through the season, with Palace and Southampton separated by one point, but it's Southampton who have just weakened their squad by selling their best player. That's why I pointed out Palace could do the same thing by selling Zaha. Fortunately for them, they haven't had their hand forced by a disaffected player who wants out. Zaha is weirdly happy playing at their shit-tip.

Regardless of that point, they're both below us despite all teams in the league having now played each other, so the league is a fair barometer of where we are all at, and what you appear to be missing is that both clubs are in a position to finish above us. You keep banging the £75m drum, but seem to have forgotten the price they paid for getting it. Put it this way - if we sold Lewis Dunk or Pascal Gross for £40m, do you think we'd be more likely to stay up, or less likely?

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
No it's still you I'm afraid.

We're halfway through the season, with Palace and Southampton separated by one point, but it's Southampton who have just weakened their squad by selling their best player. That's why I pointed out Palace could do the same thing by selling Zaha. Fortunately for them, they haven't had their hand forced by a disaffected player who wants out. Zaha is weirdly happy playing at their shit-tip.

Regardless of that point, they're both below us despite all teams in the league having now played each other, so the league is a fair barometer of where we are all at, and what you appear to be missing is that both clubs are in a position to finish above us. You keep banging the £75m drum, but seem to have forgotten the price they paid for getting it. Put it this way - if we sold Lewis Dunk or Pascal Gross for £40m, do you think we'd be more likely to stay up, or less likely?

You should be a pundit on Sky Sports.You seem to know more than most experts.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You should be a pundit on Sky Sports.You seem to know more than most experts.
That sounds remarkably close to a stroppy flounce. :lolol:

You could just look at the results of this poll to see that two thirds of Albion fans agree with me that the draw would be preferable. You're the one out of step, not me.

But to lighten the mood, these experts you talk of presumably include idiots like Paul Merson who, when describing our squad in August (just after the opening 2 expected straight defeats) said "you look at their squad and I've never heard of any of 'em". That was his reasoning for deciding we going to be going straight back down. Quite frankly, plenty of "experts" are bone-idle muppets stealing a living who don't even bother researching, so their opinions are pretty meaningless. Proper journalists on the other hand like Henry Winter and Martin Samuel DO know their onions because they have column inches to fill rather than simply being allowed to comment vacuously on SSN.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't see Palace being involved in the relegation scrap, but I could see that Southampton might (note: not will).

As such, logic suggests I should want a Palace win, but as I could never, ever, ever, ever wish for that I'm going for the draw.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I can't see Palace being involved in the relegation scrap, but I could see that Southampton might (note: not will).

As such, logic suggests I should want a Palace win, but as I could never, ever, ever, ever wish for that I'm going for the draw.

Was going to post almost the same thing. At this point i see stoke, west brom and swansea as the most likely to be below us. I do think that southampton, huddersfield and newcastle are all more likely to go down than palace or west ham

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
That sounds remarkably close to a stroppy flounce. :lolol:

You could just look at the results of this poll to see that two thirds of Albion fans agree with me that the draw would be preferable. You're the one out of step, not me.

But to lighten the mood, these experts you talk of presumably include idiots like Paul Merson who, when describing our squad in August (just after the opening 2 expected straight defeats) said "you look at their squad and I've never heard of any of 'em". That was his reasoning for deciding we going to be going straight back down. Quite frankly, plenty of "experts" are bone-idle muppets stealing a living who don't even bother researching, so their opinions are pretty meaningless. Proper journalists on the other hand like Henry Winter and Martin Samuel DO know their onions because they have column inches to fill rather than simply being allowed to comment vacuously on SSN.

If a poll of 100 experts were asked who will finish higher,Southampton or Brighton,what do you think the result would be?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As always a draw - it means that two clubs beneath us (in every sense of the word) lose 2 points. That means a total of 4 points dropped rather than 3. I seem to post this every time a similar question is asked. I guess it is a poll to see how many people have a ludicrous hatred of Palace that surmounts all reason. Without looking at the poll yet, I guess that will be about 50% of respondents :lolol:

ps almost forgot to say 'Oh goody, another poll' :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If a poll of 100 experts were asked who will finish higher,Southampton or Brighton,what do you think the result would be?

*sigh* Southampton.

I did say you were continuing to struggle. Your question just about proves it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apologies to the 20% I besmirched by suggesting that 50% will want Palace to lose. I now see that 70% back the draw.

:bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here