Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton sack manager

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I fancy Saints have made the right call. Their stock is still high despite a woeful end to their 2016/17 campaign. They'll be able to attract a decent manager and kick on again.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sean Dyche favourite for the Palace job according to a Palace supporter in the office today

yes but is Palace job favorite for Sean Dyche?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
6 clubs in a league of their own, then Everton, so Southampton basically won the 'real' EPL again but sack their manager? Style must be everything!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Great news. It means there is now a more attractive vacancy than Palace, so if a good candidate for either job emerges he will surely go to Southampton over Selhurst. I'm still hoping Hodgson is in with a chance there.

Very true. Are Palace any nearer finding a manager? Apart from popping in here I'm taking a break from football and had forgotten they didn't have any one in charge.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
6 clubs in a league of their own, then Everton, so Southampton basically won the 'real' EPL again but sack their manager? Style must be everything!

The sacking rumour has been around for days, I read about it yesterday. They aren't our rivals, even though South Coast, but I have to say I would want to take their business model on board, they aren't a sack manager type club, lost their last two, like their youth to other clubs for nice prices and yet still manage to stay a stable Prem club. I hope we end up like them.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Southampton tend to make the right decisions in these type of scenarios, their infrastructure and academy are incredible, a club that we could definitely take notes from.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This looked like it was coming for a while. After that League Cup Final, their home form was dismal so not surprising some fans started to lose faith in Puel. Only scored in one of their final 7 home matches - and that was to beat Palace which hardly counts, as we all know.

Easy to slate foreign owners but they've been good so far for Saints. An end of season decline like that can bring big problems the following season if it's not addressed.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Really? How so?

Markus saved us, and when he sadly passed away a year into the project, it was passed onto his daughter,
Back to back promotions, European football. Wembley final... £35m+ training ground... Think we have been exceptionally well run for years.

You keep constantly asset stripping your club, at some point its going to catch up with you. Doesn't your owner want out?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Utter madness he did only get them to 8th which is worse than their 6th under Koeman but he had the luxury of managing them during a season when all of the big guns did their very best not to win matches or the title.

Saints have had a very good season again

He was extremely dull though and that was reflected in the football. I have a southampton supporting season ticket holder colleague who said the same. 17 goals scored at home in a season....... They've been very lucky with Koeman and Pochettino previously.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You keep constantly asset stripping your club, at some point its going to catch up with you. Doesn't your owner want out?

In what way? They've made themselves an attractive place for young upcoming players knowing the club take a pragmatic view if big offers come in. They're obviously spending on scouting and transfers as they manage to find and develop excellent replacements for players and managers that leave. If selling an injury prone full back for £30m is asset stripping, I'll take some of that!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He was extremely dull though and that was reflected in the football. I have a southampton supporting season ticket holder colleague who said the same. 17 goals scored at home in a season....... They've been very lucky with Koeman and Pochettino previously.

They club sell on players - it's how they survive, so Mane & Pelle went and the new manager only gets a year to gel a new forward line (in which he rejuvenated Redmond) finishes 8th and doesn't get anymore time to improve things / bring players in? Seems completely barmy.

The Raver

Banned
Jun 9, 2017
This looked like it was coming for a while. After that League Cup Final, their home form was dismal so not surprising some fans started to lose faith in Puel. Only scored in one of their final 7 home matches - and that was to beat Palace which hardly counts, as we all know.

Easy to slate foreign owners but they've been good so far for Saints. An end of season decline like that can bring big problems the following season if it's not addressed.

A Palace team that was beating the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool you mean?

el punal

And look where that decision got us.

Yep. A 'manager' who was more interested in his own white shoes, disco dancing, personna than maintaining discipline in the ranks. Result? A crash dive into relegation from a respectable 13th league position the season before. Oh yes, we got to the FA Cup final and that was great, but also fortuitous and it took away the sour taste of an abysmal season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Incredibly harsh, I don't know who they think they are these days. It's such a difficult job when you lose your best players every summer. Add in this season they had some really bad injuries - they were without VVD and Austin for most of the season and Gabbiadini missed a lot- and still had a very successful season.

I think they're in for a very tough season, their squad looks weak without VVD and Bertrand, they're going to need to buy incredibly well and the youth production line is not proving as successful as it was. Add in no one knows how it's going to go with their new owners and I honestly think they could be fighting relegation this season.

As for football being boring etc, be careful what you wish for - see Norwich and Chris Hughton.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
The 'Watford' approach (we'll get a new manager for next season because...) could be the in thing now!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They club sell on players - it's how they survive, so Mane & Pelle went and the new manager only gets a year to gel a new forward line (in which he rejuvenated Redmond) finishes 8th and doesn't get anymore time to improve things / bring players in? Seems completely barmy.

There's no new investment that why Koeman left and went to Everton. From a business point of view its well run

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011

Not sure how we are asset stripping. We sell our best players regularly, yes. We can't compete with the wages the 'big 6' will pay. When we have players who deserve European football on a regular basis, how can we stand in their way? We buy cheap, we improve, we sell high. That's been the way for us for as long as I can remember. Until it stops working, il be happy. Every year people say it will catch up with us and so far, people have eaten their words.

In regards to the owner. She has publicly said she can't fund the amount of money we need to get us where she or her father wanted us to be. She doesn't want out, she will only go into a partnership with the right party, who ever that may be. I have no reason not to trust her to make the right decision in the best interests of the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here