Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton match switched

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
And with the game now not being played over a Bank Holiday, the club will make substantial savings on matchday costs.

Theres your answer

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
yeah i suppose with our two bob ground it will probably sell out anyway, but may make it awkward for people who are working that day or evening.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I wonder if it might be a ploy to try and get it on TV as well, if we and/or Southampton are doing well at that stage?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a load of JUNK. We'd have got just as big a crowd on the Saturday afternoon as we will on Thursday night - in fact it'll only make things tougher for a lot of people, who will now have to join the bank holiday traffic scrum straight after work, particularly the Saints fans. Good luck with the A27 on THAT night.
Quite pathetic how the Club are dressing this up like a FAVOUR to us. Why does anyone need "a couple of extra days to prepare for the trip to Hartlepool" ?? it makes naff all difference, Hartlepool is still on the same date for christs sake ! Don't insult our intelligence. If its primarily to save money, or if the police have requested it, then just be honest about it and tell us, rather than coming out with all this cock and bull.

Thursday bloody night, what a crock.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
What a load of JUNK. We'd have got just as big a crowd on the Saturday afternoon as we will on Thursday night - in fact it'll only make things tougher for a lot of people, who will now have to join the bank holiday traffic scrum straight after work, particularly the Saints fans. Good luck with the A27 on THAT night.
Quite pathetic how the Club are dressing this up like a FAVOUR to us. Why does anyone need "a couple of extra days to prepare for the trip to Hartlepool" ?? it makes naff all difference, Hartlepool is still on the same date for christs sake ! Don't insult our intelligence. If its primarily to save money, or if the police have requested it, then just be honest about it and tell us, rather than coming out with all this cock and bull.

Totally agree. There's nothing wrong with wanting to save money but they way they saying it makes it easier for us (when it in fact makes it far harder) reeks of absolute bull. I'm sure the majority of people would have prefered it to be on the bank holiday. It's gunna sell out whatever day it's on, but there would be a higher demand for tickets on a bank holiday.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Maybe it was RS's idea so we can have a few days rest break between our guaranteed play off qualification and our surge for the title!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
bollocks the 3rd is my birthday and I was looking forward to that :angry:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I LIKE my bank holiday football. Easter weekend is nearly always crucial, so frankly I'm quite surprised that the FL has allowed us to piss about with switching this. Does this mean that every time we get a home game on Easter Saturday, we can now expect it to be bunged over to the preceding Thursday night ?

Oh.
Great.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lets face it. The reason this has been switched is because:

1. The police couldn't be arsed to deal with 800-odd Saints fans in Brighton for the bank holiday weekend.
2. The club jumped at the suggestion from the police to switch it when it became apparent they'd save a few quid on the police bill.

Fans "can enjoy a long Easter weekend" my left gonad. I won't enjoy it as much now, with no FOOTBALL will I.

f***ing THURSDAY
:angry:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Not happy with this.

It could set a precedent and maybe Falmer will be a no go zone for Bank Holiday games :(

As said it should still sell out, but it's not right. No home football over Easter.

No home friendlies before the start of the season. Bastards :rant:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Encourage a bumper crowd" ?
They could have played this on a Monday morning at 8am and it would still have sold out.

"Oh no, I can't go to Brighton v Southampton, not on Easter Saturday, no can do". Bollocks.
Crock. Of. Shit.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

1. The police couldn't be arsed to deal with 800-odd Saints fans in Brighton for the bank holiday weekend.
2. The club jumped at the suggestion from the police to switch it when it became apparent they'd save a few quid on the police bill.

f***ing THURSDAY

"The police couldn't be arsed"? I doubt it, bank holiday working means double time, ker-ching. Besides, they deal with a hundred thousand for Pride, forty odd thousand for the bike ride and however many more for the likes of Fatboy Slim, so I doubt 800 Saints fans would have anybody in charge cacking it.

Edits: I thought you meant it was originally on Good Friday, looks like it was supposed to be the Saturday instead. In which case no double time, darn it. But it still sounds like the very much the Albion's decision to me: after all, if they could have just blamed the police, why wouldn't they?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's a good thing in my opinion, gives the players nearly 48 hours extra rest for the Hatlepool game as they will most likely be playing on the Saturday.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing

Fans "can enjoy a long Easter weekend" my left gonad. I won't enjoy it as much now, with no FOOTBALL will I.

f***ing THURSDAY

Will 800 Saints fans bother to travel to Brighton when their team is staring L2 in the face?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Awaits further tampering when leeds are due and probably a wee tinker with the visit of liverpool for the fa cup 5th round tie.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton

Couldn't agree more. Ridiculous decision, or at least a ridiculous explanation.

Every chance the Saints away game could also be moved as it's an international weekend. Obviously depends on the matches scheduled and the players involved, but at this rate just about every attractive game next season is going to end up midweek.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here