Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

South Downs: England's Mountains Green

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I saw an albino badger in Ashdown Forest when I was a kid , until last week the only badger Id ever seen. Then one walked up my drive !

I've only ever seen one (alive), in our back garden a couple of years ago when it triggered a security light. A magnificent creature. They're very active in our block, with holes dug under fences, but very shy.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
On a bike ride around the Dyke just then, I came across a magnificent Adder slowly crossing the road, as cars approached. I managed to cajole it back into long grass. (Virtue signalling), but I love doing little deeds like that, we share the planet.

Reminds me of one of my childhood favourites. Why didn`t the viper viper nose ? Because the adder adder hankerchief.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
I've only ever seen one (alive), in our back garden a couple of years ago when it triggered a security light. A magnificent creature. They're very active in our block, with holes dug under fences, but very shy.

Theres 3 active sets in the fields at the back my house but yes they are very shy. I think they visit my garden but a bit thats not overlooked by our windows, one day I'll set up a camera.
Im feeling very lucky to be surrounded by woodland and fields at the moment, to be able to get out and into nature is keeping me and Mrs OvenGloves sane.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
On a bike ride around the Dyke just then, I came across a magnificent Adder slowly crossing the road, as cars approached. I managed to cajole it back into long grass. (Virtue signalling), but I love doing little deeds like that, we share the planet.

I do something similar with worms on pavements. I did trying shoo-ing them into the grass but it felt kind of silly, so now I pick them up.

(The north side of Wolstonbury Hill was wonderful this morning. Nothing spectacular, just gentle views and hundreds of great beech trees creaking in the wind.)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I do something similar with worms on pavements. I did trying shoo-ing them into the grass but it felt kind of silly, so now I pick them up.

(The north side of Wolstonbury Hill was wonderful this morning. Nothing spectacular, just gentle views and hundreds of great beech trees creaking in the wind.)

Similarly for me - injured birds taken across Brighton to Roger Musselle's Wildlife Rescue, mice and lizards saved and relocated to a mini haven created in our back garden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here