Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SOUL II - North Stand, Dec 21

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Was looking forward to the concourse as it did work so well last time but considering it will probably be freezing Dick's should still be a good post match knees up. Looking forward to it very much.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Was looking forward to the concourse as it did work so well last time but considering it will probably be freezing Dick's should still be a good post match knees up. Looking forward to it very much.

Good work Hotchillidog.

I just hope we can rig up the glitterball!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This is actually a compliment to you guys, and perhaps that isn't coming across so well, because this was something to really look forward to, which is now going to only benefit a few hundred that can get into DB.

Exactly this, nobody is being negative, or they aren't meaning to be anyway, it just shows what a great event it was last time that people are disappointed it's not going to happen again.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Cheers chaps.

It's still happening, just somewhere warm.

We'll do the concourse again at the end of the season.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I'm afraid there is a strict door policy: smart trousers and slip-ons, a la The Event, circa 1991.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Exactly this, nobody is being negative, or they aren't meaning to be anyway, it just shows what a great event it was last time that people are disappointed it's not going to happen again.

I am another one in this camp you put on a great gig last summer hence my only disappointment is I can't attend as I have the boy in tow (although I could tie him up to the bike rack!) and Dicks no children policy.

Keep up the good work and play whatever music you bloody well want to (that's not an instruction just support).

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I am another one in this camp you put on a great gig last summer hence my only disappointment is I can't attend as I have the boy in tow (although I could tie him up to the bike rack!) and Dicks no children policy.

Keep up the good work and play whatever music you bloody well want to (that's not an instruction just support).

Sorry you can't make it Lethargic.

Thanks for the kind words...

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If any was recorded any on Stax or Motown, maybe.

That's a shame, wanted to stay after the game but there is only so much Motown you can listen to in one sitting.
Why can't you mix it up a bit rather than cater for just one genre?

60's, glam, disco, rock, punk, new romantics, ska.
Its all good but just one will bit a little repetitive.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fine. But that opinion doesn't carry much weight if you say the decision is ludicrous and you don't know why.

We're not appealing to the majority. We're appealing to the people who like the music being played. If you don't like it, don't come. No-one's forcing you.

It's not a Christmas party. It's a soul, funk and disco night that happens to be on near Christmas.

There must be dozens of 'mainstream' or 'festive' parties going on across the city that night that you could go to, including some in the West Stand. So what's the issue?

In a way that's my problem. I love a bit of Northern Soul but can't guarantee everyone I want to have a beer with on Sat does too. If it was in the concourse I could have dragged them along by default. Understand from later posts it's not your decision and apologise if you feel I was harsh. However, for the reasons stated I'm (probably) out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would be good if the stewards didn't kettle us out of the North Stand concourse on Saturday as quick as they think they can get away with. Presumably acting under orders from the club, the thin orange line has started advancing across the concourse about 6pm recently following 3pm kick-offs. Thought the whole idea was to make us tarry awhile and spend money? Seems like they just want to shut up shop and go home nowadays. As always, it's the club's loss. None of us are short of places to drink round these parts. Oh well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Would be good if the stewards didn't kettle us out of the North Stand concourse on Saturday as quick as they think they can get away with. Presumably acting under orders from the club, the thin orange line has started advancing across the concourse about 6pm recently following 3pm kick-offs. Thought the whole idea was to make us tarry awhile and spend money? Seems like they just want to shut up shop and go home nowadays. As always, it's the club's loss. None of us are short of places to drink round these parts. Oh well.

Presumably there's a point where the catering staff earn overtime and all or a proportion of it gets billed back to the club. At the same time most people start leaving, thus leaving the club making less profit, or even a loss. Paul Barber has met the fans more than halfway recently on ticket sale prices, Seagulls Player and a communication strategy but don't kid yourself that profit isn't factored in to each and every decision including the three I commended just then.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's a shame, wanted to stay after the game but there is only so much Motown you can listen to in one sitting.
Why can't you mix it up a bit rather than cater for just one genre?

60's, glam, disco, rock, punk, new romantics, ska.
Its all good but just one will bit a little repetitive.

Soul, funk, disco, Northern etc covers 20 years and a variety of styles. We played ska and reggae last time, and - against the pleading of my co-conspirator - I may well do so again.

That's not to say we can't do something at the end of the season. In fact, we may well do.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Presumably there's a point where the catering staff earn overtime and all or a proportion of it gets billed back to the club. At the same time most people start leaving, thus leaving the club making less profit, or even a loss. Paul Barber has met the fans more than halfway recently on ticket sale prices, Seagulls Player and a communication strategy but don't kid yourself that profit isn't factored in to each and every decision including the three I commended just then.

I don't doubt for a second its a decision based squarely on costs of kiosk staff vs. money taken over the counter by aforesaid kiosk. The big challenge is to somehow reverse that drift away from keeping the kiosks open post-match - especially seeing as how most of the captive audience punters who are dead keen to buy a pie and a pint at half-time have no chance of buying one on account of the length of the queues.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
To be honest I think it is incredibly selfish for these two people to put on a FREE event after a game of football which everyone is invited to attend. And to make matters worse they haven't even bothered to ask all 26k fans what music they want to hear! Its not like they have given up their own time, effort and im sure, money, into planning this!

(For those of you that are unsure, that was meant as a joke)

Some of you lot need to get a bloody grip! Its not like they are stopping the game half way through the first half and making us all listen to it for an hour without leaving! May I suggest that if you are that upset about it being moved because you were looking forward to it that much then you make the effort to get into Dicks after the game. If you can't be bothered to do that then I reckon you weren't that bothered about it afterall.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
May I suggest that if you are that upset about it being moved because you were looking forward to it that much then you make the effort to get into Dicks after the game.

I'm on it. I reckon my 15 year old can grow a bit of stubble in three days if he tries really hard, and I've ordered a costume off eBay, to try to disguise my youngest as a dwarf.

scooter1

How soon is now?
It's a shame it's been moved, for whatever reasons. I was going to go along as both me and my son like a bit of soul, however being as he's only 4, Dicks Bar is a non starter for us. Shit happens, and hopefully something can be arranged for a concourse come May

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here