Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sorry, Oscar, we were not "the better team".

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
As ever, too ponderous, too square, too defensive....and if you hadn't noticed......2-0.

Total attacking football my arse!

Spot on, we need to be much bolder at home. Without playing like kamikaze Keegan, I'd like to see us really going at the opposition. Let's have 2 up front and attack right from minute ONE. Score 2 goals and then play as much pretty, possession football as we want. What's the worst thing that could happen if we employ this strategy? We could lose.....mmmmm, but we do that already!

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Oh and another thing, playing my way, perhaps more people might stay til the end. Yesterday totally proved that thousands of people don't actually go to properly support the Albion, they're just there to watch a footy match where they would prefer that the Albion win. Once that looks no longer possible, they go home.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Spot on, we need to be much bolder at home. Without playing like kamikaze Keegan, I'd like to see us really going at the opposition. Let's have 2 up front and attack right from minute ONE. Score 2 goals and then play as much pretty, possession football as we want. What's the worst thing that could happen if we employ this strategy? We could lose.....mmmmm, but we do that already!

We didn't lose against Leeds, Reading or QPR.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This board will melt if we ever were to gain promotion.
Having to face the stark reality of back to back 10-0 stuffings, without even kicking the ball for 180 minutes.

We got turned over by a well organised team, scoring soft goals, having not taken our chances.

That's football, people, just ask QPR fans.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
In my humble opinion I also thought we we're the better team yesterday,what let us down was our poor finishing again which has been the case for most of the season.It's funny reading the opinion's of clown's on here who claim to know more than Oscar,perhaps if he gets the sack they can put themselves forward for the job!!

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
And anyway I went home a damn sight happier after the Wigan game than I did yesterday BECAUSE we attacked them.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Most of our possession wasn't backward passing or passing across the back.

Ipswich's defensive set up was always going to mean that we would have to patiently pass the ball (you know, like good Premier League sides) probing and waiting for an opening to exploit.

Ipswich's defensive set up was always going to mean that their breakaways would look more incisive because of the greater space in our half as a result of the players we had commited further up the field.

It really isn't rocket science you know.

I have a big problem here with one of your points - the best premier teams don't pass the ball across the back like we do. We don't look like we are looking for an opening we look like we don't know what to do.

Also premiership teams that pressure those teams high at the back when they are passing it around have crushed them (think Chelsea on arsenal yesterday or Liverpool)

We are so predictable we get turned over by any manager that puts pressure on our defence either fast in play or from set pieces - we can't defend when pressed

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
But we don't lose very often apart from that do we? Which you were implying we did.

Look mate, I just want us to be a but more proactive, we scraped past Birmingham, Donny and Leeds. Then we lost to Wigan, drew with Reading, miraculously beat QPR despite them outplaying us and then lost to a very ordinary Ipswich. Don't get me wrong, I love this division, it's really great to be back at this level but we have the right calibre of players to do so much better.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Even the Ipswich manager admitted we were the better team. I was restricted to watching the Internet stream this time so very detached from the atmosphere in the ground. By half time, we were so comfortable I was sure it was just a matter of time before we'd score a winner. But the final ball was either poor or our finishing was weak. When players are getting in positions to score enough to win a match easily, I don't see the manager is at fault.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In answer to OP title - yes, we really were. Ipswich scoring an INCREDIBLY scrappy goal doesn't suddenly make them better than us. We played ALL of the good football , just one of those days where we never looked like scoring.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Look mate, I just want us to be a but more proactive, we scraped past Birmingham, Donny and Leeds. Then we lost to Wigan, drew with Reading, miraculously beat QPR despite them outplaying us and then lost to a very ordinary Ipswich. Don't get me wrong, I love this division, it's really great to be back at this level but we have the right calibre of players to do so much better.

I wasn't trying to get into an argument or binfest either. It's just that football is results based; everyone was really happy after the QPR and Leeds home matches, and also after last week's win at Bolton. The tactics for all those games were no more positive than yesterday. And the results show that, more often than not, we'll come away with a W. The difference yesterday was not taking our chances and a poor bit of keeping to let them get their noses in front.

Last edited:

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
In answer to OP title - yes, we really were. Ipswich scoring an INCREDIBLY scrappy goal doesn't suddenly make them better than us. We played ALL of the good football , just one of those days where we never looked like scoring.

Disagree that it was scrappy, poor defending and their two players wanted it more, as for the second Williams showed what a proper loan player should be doing, he didn't do anything or note but came up with an unbelievable piece of skill and a cross whereas Lingard missed a 1 on 1 and an easy chance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here