[Technology] Sonos help - possibly the most annoying bug ever

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Another question for the NSC hive mind.

For the last two weeks my Sonos Player has had a habit of skipping to the next track in a Spotify generated queue by itself. Track one plays ok, track two might and then track three will skip to track four after about 15 seconds. By itself. And this will happen randomly throughout the album / playlist.

Looking on line, the Sonos forums suggest either moving it nearer to the wifi router or further away from a booster :rant: . The Sonos player has been in the same damn place since I've had it and this has only happened in the last two weeks.

I know this is First World Problems but it pretty much ruins any properly curated playlist, DJ mix or concept album (or any album where the track order makes sense). This makes it the most annoying software / hardware glitch I've encountered.

Has anyone got a better solution than the frankly crap "move your player somewhere else" one?

- I have turned it off and on again.
- I have made sure I'm using the latest version of the app.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I have this exact, identical issue with my Sonos One, started around a month ago after years of usage with no issues.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
What's the Sonos you're trying to play through? We had it with our old Sonos 5, would work perfectly fine for me, but if my husband tried to connect through Spotify or deezer it would skip tracks after playing 15 secs of the song. We never found a solution, seemed to be an inherent bug with the early generation stuff (though never a problem with old Sonos Ones). Luckily it coincided with getting a new TV, so we purchased a Sonos Beam with it and play through that now. Not a had a problem since.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What's the Sonos you're trying to play through? We had it with our old Sonos 5, would work perfectly fine for me, but if my husband tried to connect through Spotify or deezer it would skip tracks after playing 15 secs of the song. We never found a solution, seemed to be an inherent bug with the early generation stuff (though never a problem with old Sonos Ones). Luckily it coincided with getting a new TV, so we purchased a Sonos Beam with it and play through that now. Not a had a problem since.
Thanks. I should have said, it's a Sonos One.

I have this exact, identical issue with my Sonos One, started around a month ago after years of usage with no issues.
Snap!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks. I should have said, it's a Sonos One.

Snap!
Must be a firmware thing, I’m going to look into whether it’s possible to roll back. It’s quite irritating - also haven’t moved my speaker or router. Identical to your situation.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Have you tried streaming Spotify from different devices … phones … laptops … tablets? And if so, is the result the same?

I used to have a similar problem with Apple Music a few years or so back. Only happened occasionally. I’ve not got a Sonos Arc connected by Ethernet to our router, which allows Sonos to create its own network … so the 2 x Play 3s and 2 x Ones and an old Play 1 now play without any hiccups.

I remember when I had the problem it drove me round the twist. I just wanted it to work … the skipping was crazy!! So I think my problem was my WiFi being a bit flakey (I had a Virgin Media Hub 3 at the time).

So one option might be to try with the Sonos One connected by Ethernet - just to rule any WiFi issues out.

I haven’t used Spotify for some time. Can you stream direct to Sonos from the Spotify app without having to use the Sonos app?

Hope you get sorted 👍

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Have you tried streaming Spotify from different devices … phones … laptops … tablets? And if so, is the result the same?

I used to have a similar problem with Apple Music a few years or so back. Only happened occasionally. I’ve not got a Sonos Arc connected by Ethernet to our router, which allows Sonos to create its own network … so the 2 x Play 3s and 2 x Ones and an old Play 1 now play without any hiccups.

I remember when I had the problem it drove me round the twist. I just wanted it to work … the skipping was crazy!! So I think my problem was my WiFi being a bit flakey (I had a Virgin Media Hub 3 at the time).

So one option might be to try with the Sonos One connected by Ethernet - just to rule any WiFi issues out.

I haven’t used Spotify for some time. Can you stream direct to Sonos from the Spotify app without having to use the Sonos app?

Hope you get sorted 👍
Thank you. Will give that a go.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Listen to vinyl, no such issues.
Unless you can create your own playlists and put them on vinyl instantly in some kind of new "home studio experience" then I believe that's limited to the "concept albums" part of the problem and not the mixes and playlists issue.

Plus mine's in the kitchen. I tend to whack it on when I'm cooking / cleaning to provide some colour to something that would otherwise be me stirring or scrubbing something and looking at a wall. Changing a vinyl every 10 mins doesn't really work then. A seamless soundtrack would be nice, considering that's literally the point of streaming music.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
This happened to me with my Sonos 3 a few years ago, I thought someone was being annoying on my wifi (they weren't). I took it off my wifi, reset and updated everything using ethernet, which incidentally takes bloody ages as the app has moved on since the initial installation. I didn't lose my 'sonos' playlist though as that's in ur account rather than the speaker. Good luck with remembering the password that you registered your sonos on though as that was a stumbling block for me! 🤦‍♀️

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Of course its skipping. Stop playing Rick Astley.
And here's another technology issue. I can't even Rick Roll you in response on this new platform because our wonderful new NSC platform will transform my sneakily hidden URL into a video preview.

As a species we basically should have called it quits, technology wise, in about 1985. Sure, that would mean televisions that looked like goldfish bowls and no proper internet or mobile phones, but at least we'd not have VAR.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
This happened to me with my Sonos 3 a few years ago, I thought someone was being annoying on my wifi (they weren't). I took it off my wifi, reset and updated everything using ethernet, which incidentally takes bloody ages as the app has moved on since the initial installation. I didn't lose my 'sonos' playlist though as that's in ur account rather than the speaker. Good luck with remembering the password that you registered your sonos on though as that was a stumbling block for me! 🤦‍♀️
Thanks. I can see the flaw in the fix already :lolol:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And here's another technology issue. I can't even Rick Roll you in response on this new platform because our wonderful new NSC platform will transform my sneakily hidden URL into a video preview.

As a species we basically should have called it quits, technology wise, in about 1985. Sure, that would mean televisions that looked like goldfish bowls and no proper internet or mobile phones, but at least we'd not have VAR.
True, but then we'd not have Alexa either. And I'm sorry, but I'm just not having that.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not quite sure how a Sonos thingy works exactly, or quite what it is even, as I still have hifi separates, but you mention WiFi and streaming, so could it be the WiFi signal causing your problems?

I added a Yamaha network amp to my set up a few years ago and now stream Deezer through it. I had loads of drop outs when connected via WiFi. Plugged it in directly to the router via ethernet and never had a problem since.

So in short, if you can somehow connect to your router via ethernet with this thing then I'd definitely try that.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Unless you can create your own playlists and put them on vinyl instantly in some kind of new "home studio experience" then I believe that's limited to the "concept albums" part of the problem and not the mixes and playlists issue.

Plus mine's in the kitchen. I tend to whack it on when I'm cooking / cleaning to provide some colour to something that would otherwise be me stirring or scrubbing something and looking at a wall. Changing a vinyl every 10 mins doesn't really work then. A seamless soundtrack would be nice, considering that's literally the point of streaming music.
Mixed tape, with auto reverse tape player would do the trick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here