Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some Perspective

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Man U have had 74,000 sellouts from Surrey, Essex and Devon in replica shirts who couldn't find Old Trafford with their cock watching every televised game in the Dog and Duck again this season only this time the CJTCs haven't been quite so smug.........

Corrected for you. Though the original made a fine point.

Feb 14, 2010
I'm struggling to understand the connection between us being promoted and us having high crowds - there's no correlation there at all. I'd also say you're seeing things too black & white - not being promoted is NOT failure. If we use that notion, is ending up in the playoffs but missing out a failure as well? After all, that was the initial target as set out by Tony Bloom.

Yes there is. Yeovil do not have expectations as they get small gates and are a small club. Newcastle get large gates and have expectation and so they should. As should we. This club has accepted failure on the pitch and its time we had a side to match our support, which currently is the 10th best in the country.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Yes there is. Yeovil do not have expectations as they get small gates and are a small club. Newcastle get large gates and have expectation and so they should. As should we. This club has accepted failure on the pitch and its time we had a side to match our support, which currently is the 10th best in the country.

The thing is, i don't judge a side based on how many people follow them - i judge them based on their success on the pitch. So while your assessments of Yeovil & Newcastle follow that model, it doesn't follow for us. Newcastle have had a large following for YEARS, whereas we've had large gates for only 3 years (yes, i know the Withdean doesn't help but rarely did we sell out). At the moment we are a consistent Championship team - but that's all. We've got the potential, definitely but we must be careful not to equate a full stadium and a wealthy owner to being a 'big' club...look where that got Portsmouth.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
But surely the fact that we're not the only team fighting for 6th that keep failing to capitalise when other results go our way shows how competitive this league is. This assumption that we have a right to beat teams is bordering on arrogance.
Yep its a tight old league, but I was disappointed not to beat Blackpool given their current troubles. Is that really arrogance?

Feb 14, 2010
The thing is, i don't judge a side based on how many people follow them - i judge them based on their success on the pitch. So while your assessments of Yeovil & Newcastle follow that model, it doesn't follow for us. Newcastle have had a large following for YEARS, whereas we've had large gates for only 3 years (yes, i know the Withdean doesn't help but rarely did we sell out). At the moment we are a consistent Championship team - but that's all. We've got the potential, definitely but we must be careful not to equate a full stadium and a wealthy owner to being a 'big' club...look where that got Portsmouth.

Utter rubbish. Brighton had 30,000 gates in the third division south and withdean actually sold out for the first 3 seasons despite playing Harlepool in the lower leagues. Again we were a lower league side with a big support for that division. Time that mentality changed. The players have to earn the right to play in front of a big support according to the BBC, well the Brighton players have failed to do that and they deserve the label as failures and bottlers. Time to read the riot act and ship a few out. I want a ruthless manager with a desire to win. No fooking excuses.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

No this is complete bollocks, the same nonsense spouted by Sheffield Wednesday or Leeds fans who are still trying desperately to cling on to the notion that they are a big club because they get the odd big gate at home and take a few away down south thanks to 60 year old glory hunters and people who couldn't wait to move to London from the glorious county of Jerkshire.

The club is treading a very careful knife edge between the old crowd from Portslade, Moulescoombe, Hollingbury, Whitehawk, Lancing, Worthing, Haywards Heath and the Hastings area and the DFLs and their sons who can no longer be bothered to travel to Arsenal from Poets Corner in case they bump in to that drug dealer they annoyed in a Hoxton chicken shop once. Tip the prices too high and you'll lose the former. Produce bad enough football / family experience and you'll lose the latter. They get it right at the moment but that gives us no right whatsoever to beat anyone. It simply gives us a turnover that, bafflingly, isn't being fully reflected in investment in the squad.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Yep its a tight old league, but I was disappointed not to beat Blackpool given their current troubles. Is that really arrogance?

It's not arrogance to be disappointed but it's arrogance to assume that we should win (not implying that's what you think but certainly the impression I get from some NSC posters). Blackpool are fighting for survival that makes them just as potentially dangerous and difficult to play against as a team fighting for promotion.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Am I right in saying that this season is likely to be the 6th most successful season in the clubs 113 years history?

3 seasons in the old top flight
Mullery promotion from old 2nd div
Last season under Gus
And now this season

In reality most of those years we were struggling in the 3rd and 4th tiers

So let's appreciate how far we have come

Shown yourself up there.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Utter rubbish. Brighton had 30,000 gates in the third division south

Yeah? So did Notts County.

The players have to earn the right to play in front of a big support according to the BBC, well the Brighton players have failed to do that and they deserve the label as failures and bottlers.

So not managing to get to the premier league, something which is INCREDIBLY hard to do (as plenty of Championship managers have stated...sorry, i don't have a BBC quote for that) means the players are failures and bottlers? Is there not a series of greys inbetween those black and white areas?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Working Class Pride is a spoof account .

Feb 14, 2010
Yeah? So did Notts County.

So not managing to get to the premier league, something which is INCREDIBLY hard to do (as plenty of Championship managers have stated...sorry, i don't have a BBC quote for that) means the players are failures and bottlers? Is there not a series of greys inbetween those black and white areas?

Not when you can hardly win a game for 6 weeks unless they are side just back from a promotion party. They have bottled it big time. No excuses, the players have to earn the right to play in front of big crowds. Thats the perceived that applies to Newcastle so fine, that's the bar set by BBC journo's and therefore Brighton have a right to expect. These players have shown all the ruthless streak of a bunch of school girls on a day out making daisy chains. Garcia is their manager I expect him to read the riot act and tell a few of them that they are out unless we get promotion.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
How many seasons total have we spent in the championship, 2nd div probably 11 seasons over BHA lifetime so no this is not a failure its just that with the new ground expectations are now running a little faster than the clubs ability

Feb 14, 2010
Working Class Pride is a spoof account .

Er no mate, I'm not and really what on earth is this to do with a club who need to flight football to get more than 13000 to watch them? Do one, this is about BHA and what we should do with our players who did not earn the right to play in front of 28000, yes thats right,28000 in the Championship - the 10th best supported club in the country despite being in the second tier.

Feb 14, 2010
How many seasons total have we spent in the championship, 2nd div probably 11 seasons over BHA lifetime so no this is not a failure its just that with the new ground expectations are now running a little faster than the clubs ability

It was ever thus tho. Read that post to Shef W fans about the gates at the Goldstone v gates at their place when playing each other in the same division. Its time we expected the team that the size of the support commands.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
that's the bar set by BBC journo's and therefore Brighton have a right to expect.

Why do you care what the BBC think? I couldn't give a toss if they think we're promotion contenders or relegation fodder. Also it's ludicrous to assume that because something applies to one club, then it applies to another.

Actually, sod it. Lets berate Yeovil on Friday because they're not in the top 10. We managed it in our first season back in this league, so why haven't they?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Er no mate, I'm not and really what on earth is this to do with a club who need to flight football to get more than 13000 to watch them? Do one, this is about BHA and what we should do with our players who did not earn the right to play in front of 28000, yes thats right,28000 in the Championship - the 10th best supported club in the country despite being in the second tier.

28,000 ??
In the Championship ???
I wish you mentioned it before !
BTW, we use to get over 30,000 in the 3rd division ...
Just saying like.

Feb 14, 2010
Why do you care what the BBC think? I couldn't give a toss if they think we're promotion contenders or relegation fodder. Also it's ludicrous to assume that because something applies to one club, then it applies to another.

Actually, sod it. Lets berate Yeovil on Friday because they're not in the top 10. We managed it in our first season back in this league, so why haven't they?

I am just judging Brighton by the same standards of other clubs. Brighton are too ready to accept failure and make excuses. Time that changed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here