[Help] Some personal news and then reflection for all

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I had and have no relationship with my father he is an utter *******. The only time that stopped was when we went to The Goldstone. Always tempered by the journey home and the knowledge that life would go back to normal.

Very sorry to hear that sad reminiscence.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Sorry for your loss BT.

I hope this is OK to say as it was my Dad who first took me to the Albion too and I'm fortunate that he's still around. I remember thinking, at one of my first games back at the Goldstone, that he was some sort of superhero because he got the entire ground to slowclap an injured player (Wycombe, I think?).

I've stopped going to the football in recent years for various reasons (money, too much drinking, primarily) and the thing I miss the most is the Saturdays spent with that man chatting about whatever. I should go again.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Interesting to hear about fathers introducing their offspring to the Albion.
My father had little or no interest in sport except for athletics. He was, at one time, a schoolboy national champion at the old distance of 440 yards.
I have to blame Archie Macaulay and Bobby Smith.
Up until the time of Bobby signing for us, I had a passing interest in the Albion and knew the players names ,but had never been to a match. That all changed when I watched his first match and he scored twice against Barrow. From then on, that was it.
Still a fan, but I have to admit, not as fervent as in my earlier years, when a bad result could ruin a weekend and more!
Sorry to hear of your loss, but take comfort from all the good times you had together, through all the wins, losses and draws.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Sorry for your loss BT.

I lost my Dad last year and similar ours was far from a perfect relationship - I think few are of in truth. I think my Dad took more interest in the Albion in order to be able to talk to me about something that we wouldn't argue about. Actually his interest in the Albion partly helped me spot the early signs of his dementia. Originally we would speak every Sunday about the result - then I noticed that if we had played on a Friday or a Sunday he wouldn't know about it (he checked his paper before speaking with me I think) and then Albion went off the agenda. He too took me to my first games.

This loss will be a bit of a journey I'm sure - try to keep in mind the happier bits though because it will help. I think of my Dad (and will always) at every home game because I chose to have "Sussex By The Sea" played at his funeral (which he would have been pleased with) - which sounded amazing on the church organ.

Take care of yourself and those close to you

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
My dad took me to my first game at the Goldstone in 1966... I'd been inspired by the world cup win. When my dad couldn't go due to his shift work at the Shoreham power station, my Uncle Joe used to take me.
Once I reached the grand (and random)age of 13, I was allowed to go with my schoolmates. Standing in rain or sun (in our eyes 😬) on the east terrace, we watched many games from 1967 to 1972. Decent memories still 👍.
Here's to our dads or whoever introduced us to the Albion.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Interesting to hear about fathers introducing their offspring to the Albion.
My father had little or no interest in sport except for athletics. He was, at one time, a schoolboy national champion at the old distance of 440 yards.
I have to blame Archie Macaulay and Bobby Smith.
Up until the time of Bobby signing for us, I had a passing interest in the Albion and knew the players names ,but had never been to a match. That all changed when I watched his first match and he scored twice against Barrow. From then on, that was it.
Still a fan, but I have to admit, not as fervent as in my earlier years, when a bad result could ruin a weekend and more!
Sorry to hear of your loss, but take comfort from all the good times you had together, through all the wins, losses and draws.:thumbsup:

Archie and Bobby Smith... what a great memory that is 👍

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Just checked back in and this really hasn’t disappointed. To all of you sharing, good, bad or indifferent. They’re helping.

Please keep them coming.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
What wonderful tales of fathers on here. My condolences to BT. One thing I know is your Dad never leaves you. My Dad died in 1977 but he is still real and with me now as I embrace the 80’s. Dad was Albion through and through and we had some marvellous times at the Goldstone as well as some great away days . Millwall was always tasty...... My last football memory of Dad was in 77 as he was suffering from cancer but he wanted to go and see Albion play Ipswich in the cup at the Goldstone. It was a cold winter night and I bagged seats in the West Stand. We beat the tractor boys and retired to the Neville for a great celebration.
That was his last outing but he was so happy. He died a few weeks later.

Miss you Dad.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Very sorry for your loss
Been 7 years since I lost mine I drive past his grave every day as close to the road . Find great comfort in having a quick “chat” as i drive in and out of village . Miss u pops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
My dad took me to my first home match in 1970, a 0-0 with Torquay Utd. We watched from the Chicken Run.Subsequent requests to go in the North Stand were met with a firm ‘No!’
I remember going to Millwall with him, Easter 1976, 3-1 loss. We were surrounded by loads of their Herberts who were picking off any obvious Albion fans. Their favourite greeting to both friend or foe was c***. My dad’s sensibilities were offended by their
utterances and he implored them to ‘Mind your language gents’
One of their bods turned around and said ‘This is how we are’. Fortunately we got out unscathed. They didn’t stop saying c***.
So sorry for your loss. All strength to you and yours.
Up the Albion.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Very sorry for your loss.
My dad passed 6 months ago so I know how you’re feeling. Here of you ever want to chat.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Sorry for your loss, my dad passed away 26 years ago and he left a hole that is still there - unfortunately he was never an Albion or football fan, as he had been turned off it all by his dad who never missed an Albion home game for over 40years. Funnily my grandad never took me to the Goldstone, that lot fell on my favorite uncle who took me to my first game back in 1962 against Liverpool, he had also made me a little wooden box to stand on and brought some good hot chocolate in his thermos flask. The game ended 0-0 but my memory was of Roy Jennings who to me seemed to move so gracefully and then I was hooked.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Sorry for your loss, my dad passed away 26 years ago and he left a hole that is still there - unfortunately he was never an Albion or football fan, as he had been turned off it all by his dad who never missed an Albion home game for over 40years. Funnily my grandad never took me to the Goldstone, that lot fell on my favorite uncle who took me to my first game back in 1962 against Liverpool, he had also made me a little wooden box to stand on and brought some good hot chocolate in his thermos flask. The game ended 0-0 but my memory was of Roy Jennings who to me seemed to move so gracefully and then I was hooked.

Aahh yes!! those memories of lots of kids standing on homemade wooden boxes...just brilliant ,👍

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
Aahh yes!! those memories of lots of kids standing on homemade wooden boxes...just brilliant ,👍

Preferred a milk crate myself. It got invaded by 3 Chelsea supporting kids during the 1973 cup match.I stood my ground and hung on to my quarter of the crate. ‘You’ll never take the milk crate!’(Unless you were that copper who confiscated it outside the Chicken Run following complaints from Unigate.)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Preferred a milk crate myself. It got invaded by 3 Chelsea supporting kids during the 1973 cup match.I stood my ground and hung on to my quarter of the crate. ‘You’ll never take the milk crate!’(Unless you were that copper who confiscated it outside the Chicken Run following complaints from Unigate.)

No doubt you would have returned the crate in your own time 👍. Chicken Run was my first few games. Those were the days when coppers had the time to worry about such things!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I lost my dear mum today aged 88, her first memory was sitting on her dads shoulder and seeing the glow of the Crystal Palace burn down…RIP mum and all your great memories and stories.

It had been expected but is still a shock.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I lost my dear mum today aged 88, her first memory was sitting on her dads shoulder and seeing the glow of the Crystal Palace burn down…RIP mum and all your great memories and stories.

It had been expected but is still a shock.

Sorry to hear that. Celebrate her life.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Sorry to hear that. Celebrate her life.

I will thanks.

When mum and dad got married they lived in manor road south Norwood. As a kid I saw the lights glow at Selhurst park at night, and in 1972 they took me to see my first game even though they had no intrest in football.

That’s why we all love our clubs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I will thanks.

When mum and dad got married they lived in manor road south Norwood. As a kid I saw the lights glow at Selhurst park at night, and in 1972 they took me to see my first game even though they had no intrest in football.

That’s why we all love our clubs.

My dad (who died in 87) did take me to games at the Goldstone but some years after I started going with mates (when I was 11). I think he wanted to make a connection, but being a bit 'neurodivergent' or whatever the term is (not a thing back then) he made a bit of a mess of it, and we ended up watching the games from different parts of the Goldstone, meeting up after. I'm delighted that my son (now aged 36) goes to the Amex with me a fair bit. Alas, not this weekend, as I forgot to invite him in good time (yes, I'm a neurodivergent twit, too. Luckily for him, my son isn't).

Family and football, eh?

Must have been something to see the actual Crystal Palace burn down. Insurance fraud, I wouldn't be surprised to find (but we never shall, of course).

Now that the rest of NSC has fallen asleep I think it may be safe for me to say that I have enjoyed watching your lot this season:drool:. Very promising new manager. I wonder if soppy bollocks will sign a new contract, though? My guess is that he will.

:thumbsup:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
My dad (who died in 87) did take me to games at the Goldstone but some years after I started going with mates (when I was 11). I think he wanted to make a connection, but being a bit 'neurodivergent' or whatever the term is (not a thing back then) he made a bit of a mess of it, and we ended up watching the games from different parts of the Goldstone, meeting up after. I'm delighted that my son (now aged 36) goes to the Amex with me a fair bit. Alas, not this weekend, as I forgot to invite him in good time (yes, I'm a neurodivergent twit, too. Luckily for him, my son isn't).

Family and football, eh?

Must have been something to see the actual Crystal Palace burn down. Insurance fraud, I wouldn't be surprised to find (but we never shall, of course).

Now that the rest of NSC has fallen asleep I think it may be safe for me to say that I have enjoyed watching your lot this season:drool:. Very promising new manager. I wonder if soppy bollocks will sign a new contract, though? My guess is that he will.

:thumbsup:

I am two bottles of red down now, but mum was a champion swimmer and dad was a champion ship diver they met I south Norwood swimming baths. Each had no interest in football, tacking me to football ( first game v stoke) was boring to them but has been a life long love to me. Thank you mum xx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports