Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SOME HOME TRUTHS - and you ain't gonna like it...

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Mmm, sitting on the fence on this one. I agree with much of what Easy has said, particularly about unrealistic expectations and our prospects in Div 1 if we were to be promoted again. While I have been a staunch supporter of the likes of Mayo and OGH for their commitment to the club, I tend to agree that some of the players have passed their sell-by date, although Kerry in particular has constantly confounded his critics. Although I can't fault his performance against Plymouth, I have to say that I was surprised that Oatway was kept on when we got promotion to Div 2. While he brought much-needed tenacity to the midfield in Div 3, I always thought that his poor distribution would make him a liability at a higher level.

On the other hand, Guinness Boy is right about mood swings following individual matches. I was euphoric after the Plymouth match. The team was up for it, well organised and, in the first half at least, played some very good football. I thought the loss of Piercy was a big blow. He showed some signs that he could provide the creative spark in midfield missing since Brooker's departure. The team dug in well in the second half, but weren't playing with the same fluency after he went off.

Perhaps the answer is to freshen up the team with some new blood in midfield, particularly as Rodger is going to be out for a good while longer. I realise that's easier said than done in the current climate, but NSCers of a similar vintage will remember the positive effect of bringing in the first people's player, Bert Murray, at a similar stage in the '71-72 promotion season. Any chance of the fans funding another people's player - remember the way the introduction of Rod Thomas lifted our spirits during the dark days at Gillingham? Where do things stand with the 40 note fund? I for one would be willing to contribute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here