Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Some better news at last

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This won't change no matter how hard I work, no matter how much I deserve it...

Stange how this generation seems more entitled than previous generations. Try for instance an interest rate of 17% in the late seventies. 3% is f--- all
Well, well done you... I suppose you ate coal and sat on an iron spike too ?!?

FFS just admit that millions of people are going to struggle massively on the back of the current inflation nightmare, interest rate hike and so on.

The fact that you won't and can't tells me two things:

You're very well off and can't relate to someone who is struggling.
You're the entitled one, who expects this generation to sort its own mess out.

A mess you and your ilk have contributed to and authored... by doing nothing except hording wealth and sitting like Smaug on top of your (hard earned) pile of riches.

I don't purport to be anything other than a hard-working normal man, but BOY do you come across like a boorish know all blowhard.

Last edited:

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
This won't change no matter how hard I work, no matter how much I deserve it...

Stange how this generation seems more entitled than previous generations. Try for instance an interest rate of 17% in the late seventies. 3% is f--- all
Well, there was less of a disparity between wages and house prices then. The average house price was 4 times the average wage in the late 70s. It is now around 9 times more.

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
A mess you and your ilk have contributed to and authored... by doing nothing except hording wealth and sitting like Smaug on top of your (hard earned) pile of riches.

I don't purport to be anything other than a hard-working normal man, but BOY do you come across like a boorish know all blowhard.

It's a sure sign that an argument can't be won when the losing party results to personal insults.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

You do realise that the late seventies was 45 years ago now and a lot has changed since?

The average house price / earnings ratio was ~3x back then, its now ~7x.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I’m an old git, too. I have no mortgage and a decent couple of pensions. I’ve worked to get to this position for sure, but I had more scope to do it ( and hooray for final salary pensions ). My offspring haven’t had the same experience and I know that they, and a veritable tranche of others are not in such a rosy situation. I do pay for it by being old and creaky….BUT, I do feel quite guilty about H.M Govt sending me a £500 bonus for being ancient to help me out in these hard times. I’ve moved that on to where it may be needed.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

It's a sure sign that an argument can't be won when the losing party results to personal insults.
What is the point, i’ll never win, your’re up at my throat before I begin...

Closing your ears to other men's views.

Change for the good, would not bring bad news.

Why change the rules, say those at the top
To those at the bottom, caught looking up...

Too many bodies, doubting our worth
Shout to the people, salt of the earth.

Why change the rules, say those at the top
To those at the bottom, caught looking up.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’m an old git, too. I have no mortgage and a decent couple of pensions. I’ve worked to get to this position for sure, but I had more scope to do it ( and hooray for final salary pensions ). My offspring haven’t had the same experience and I know that they, and a veritable tranche of others are not in such a rosy situation. I do pay for it by being old and creaky….BUT, I do feel quite guilty about H.M Govt sending me a £500 bonus for being ancient to help me out in these hard times. I’ve moved that on to where it may be needed.
Indeed, much like my father, who unlike certain individuals within this thread is magnanimous and gracious enough to acknowledge that times have changed and your sons and daughters are in dire straits...

Money for nothing indeed.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Not fair to the majority of us old ‘uns.
I worked bloody hard (2 jobs some of the time) to pay my mortgage with interest rates in the teens at times. I’m certainly not rich, I don’t have a mortgage but I don’t have savings either. I can get by on my pensions and Mr P still works so that’s a bonus.
It wasn’t an easy time to get here to be sure!
Similar to us. When I was in my early 20's I worked 2 jobs over 70 hours per week to pay the mortgage (with rates back then being 3 times what they are now), when most of my friends we out larging it up on nights out. We have no mortgage now but little savings either.

The economic climate currently being faced is a nightmare and I do feel for the younger generation but not all of us retired are loaded. Even the Season Tickets went a few years ago as did all the Sky, Netflix subs too.

The interest rate hike only really benefits those with stacks of cash to invest, which is very few of us.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Most of you choose to ignore my point about mortgages so you can get on your high horse and prove how righteous you are.

In summary, most home owners facing mortgage increases have massive amounts of collateral (profit) locked up in their property. They are actually very fortunate and need to take stock.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Most of you choose to ignore my point about mortgages so you can get on your high horse and prove how righteous you are.

In summary, most home owners facing mortgage increases have massive amounts of collateral (profit) locked up in their property. They are actually very fortunate and need to take stock.
Yeah...

I’m really ‘fortunate’ that my mortgage is, when taken together with my rising heating, food, fuel, and every other cost under the sun, nearing critical affordability...

I’m really ‘fortunate’ I (and many like me) can barely afford to makes ends meet.

I’m really really fortunate that an equity release or house sale are sooooo easy to realise.

But most of all...

I’m sodding fortunate people like you are around to remind me just how staggeringly fortunate I am.

Thank God for that.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Kosh
If you'd like a bit of sympathy. perhaps you would be honest enough to tell us what your house is worth and what outstanding mortgage you have.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For those lucky enough to be able to save cash, First Direct’s regular monthly savings product will now pay 7%!

12C62FAF-70EC-49A3-9504-093A0E0E820B.png

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
NatWest's interest rate are sh*te was getting 1% on £40K, so took it out and shoved it in a Goldman Sachs account for 2.5%

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Not fair to the majority of us old ‘uns.
I worked bloody hard (2 jobs some of the time) to pay my mortgage with interest rates in the teens at times. I’m certainly not rich, I don’t have a mortgage but I don’t have savings either. I can get by on my pensions and Mr P still works so that’s a bonus.
It wasn’t an easy time to get here to be sure!
Completely fair.

You didn’t ‘work hard’ as though people in their 20s and 30s now are not. You got lucky coming up through generations who go everything handed to them on a plate… cheap housing, steady economic growth, sane governments…

Now you’re old and loaded, it’s time to pull up the drawbridge and vote in some rac
not saying you dont deserve to be ok, of course you do. but this seeming dislike of pensioners, older people or anyone who may just now not have to be selling houses, or posessions to avoid ruin , and may now be able to heat homes, or pay for careers etc because of the interest rises seems strange to me. Would you prefer that everyone is financially destitute .. A lot of people who have worked equally as hard, or harder and in worse conditions than you, who just managed to get by when relativly modest savings return a little intrest have also been really badly hit over the past ten years, many have seen their savings decimated and now have little to support themselves with.

Most people wont be "raking it in" , there will be people who this means a modest increase in income of a few tens of pounds a month , but I suppose you begrudge them even that?

Kosh is completely in the right here. Boomers and associated generations in this country are sitting on vast wealth.

You hand very little of it out to those below you, leaving many people near destitution.

You come on here and gloat about how much interest you’re now taking in.

It’s sick, you should all be deeply embarrassed.

Sadly this country is on a sharp downward spiral, and it’s you all at the wheel. Terrifying.

At least you’ll all be dead soon.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
NatWest's interest rate are sh*te was getting 1% on £40K, so took it out and shoved it in a Goldman Sachs account for 2.5%
Nationwide 4.5% up to 2 million. All done on line in a few minutes I only had 20k ;)

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Completely fair.

You didn’t ‘work hard’ as though people in their 20s and 30s now are not. You got lucky coming up through generations who go everything handed to them on a plate… cheap housing, steady economic growth, sane governments…

Now you’re old and loaded, it’s time to pull up the drawbridge and vote in some rac

Kosh is completely in the right here. Boomers and associated generations in this country are sitting on vast wealth.

You hand very little of it out to those below you, leaving many people near destitution.

You come on here and gloat about how much interest you’re now taking in.

Sadly this country is on a sharp downward spiral, and it’s you all at the wheel. Terrifying.

Im not sure why you think that 12 years military servive, including the Falklands, followed by decades of working 12-15 hour shifts doesnt consitute working hard. Not once have I said people working today do not work as hard as I did, or harder.
Why do you think I, and others on here , are sitting on vast wealth, where have I onnce gloated about raking in vast amounts of interest (last month was £14.35 btw- would you like that i redistribute that?)
You have no idea about how often and by how much I or others actualy do help other people- you may actually be surprised.

Yes there are some obscenly wealthy people, from EVERY generation but the vast majority of people retired are not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, most are, just like everyone else, very concerned about how they will manage, how they will pay for heating etc, and how they will pay for care if required

We arent all lording it over the younger generation laughing as we see the interest payments flooding in,

You should be ashamed and embarassed by your assumptions and predjudices- you have no idea of my situation and what my life has been like, any more than I have of yours, or anyone elses on this board.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder

Just out of interest, are your parents still alive?

If they are they must be very proud of your views.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I din't get the animosity towards "boomers". It's their money and property that will get passed down to my generation.

Reactions: cjd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here