[Albion] Solly March wants to play for a bigger club - Guardian article.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'd be disappointed if any of our players under the age of 30 didn't have ambitions to play for a bigger club. Every player outside of Real Madrid should have these ambitions.

Personally I think Solly is at the right level. He was great before he got injured, but I think we're about as high as he can go. But he should absolutely have the ambition to try and get better, and therefore higher.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I don't really see a problem with what he's said. We all know players have ambition – everyone does.

The only way he will get a move (when he's fit again) is putting in top performances week in, week out, for Brighton. So it's a win-win because he helps the club and then gets sold for a profit.

It's all very well bigging up the youth players and buying young talent in, but if there are established players in front of them, then they'll never break through properly. The new model for the club seems to be something like a conveyer belt with players being developed and then sold on for a profit. Some of these might be established in the first team when they go (which might be the case with Biss in the summer) and others might not get near the first team, but go through the loan system and then leave without making a PL appearance.

Good luck to them – players will always come and go :shrug:

This is exactly right. Word for word. If we want to develop talented young players, we have to be a club where you can come in, play, improve and move on to a higher status club. Leicester was the launching pad for Mahrez and Kante, the best two players in the Champions League semi-finals over the last two weeks. We absolutely should be looking to develop players like Solly March who has been a fantastic player for us for a decade. If he has the opportunity to play for a top 6 club (Leicester, rather than Arsenal), I absolutely think he should take it and he'd go with the best wishes of most of us.

I'd be disappointed if any of our players under the age of 30 didn't have ambitions to play for a bigger club. Every player outside of Real Madrid should have these ambitions.

Personally I think Solly is at the right level. He was great before he got injured, but I think we're about as high as he can go. But he should absolutely have the ambition to try and get better, and therefore higher.

I totally agree with all of this as well.

Feb 9, 2012
perth
This thread is getting old now but I just read the article and was a bit stunned when Solly said it was his ACL again...previously discussed as maybe back in May- that was never goign to happen. Anyone know if this is the same knee he did last time? More than a little worrying that hes now done two when one can be careeer ending. Even at this level its usually 6 months good rehab, so seems unlikely he will be back firing all cyclinders for pre season...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports