Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March untouchable ?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Not his biggest fan and I think he defends better than he attacks. I find his unwillingness to run at players really frustrating, he has the skills but does not seem to believe enough, hence I tend to prefer seeing Jose and AK playing (although both seem to be well out of form at the moment) but I understand why Solly keeps getting picked over them.

My frustration is that although he has had plenty of game time he does not seem to have kicked on as I think he should have done as an attacking player. Yes he has plenty of assists this season but he has also messed up the final ball more often than a player at this level should, imo.
I agree with you on the defensive aspect and I still believe he would make a good wing back. His finishing is woeful generally but then that doesn't single him out from the majority of our squad.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes he has plenty of assists this season but he has also messed up the final ball more often than a player at this level should, imo.

There's truth in that, but its really not as often as some suggest. Take just this game, where he has been graded 'awful' by at least one. Even in that game, he set up Murray (first half, rolled square along edge of box, shot scuffed at Leno), Duffy (second half, back post header from corner) and Pröpper (second half, swinging cross from right, headed wide from 8 yards out) with presentable chances, from perfectly decent deliveries.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think he has a distinct lack of talent outside of consistently good free kicks and corners. His crossing from open play is often not very good and his passing is no better than average. For me, he is not a Premier League footballer and the difference in quality with Izquierdo (although he's not shown up this season) and the flashes of quality we've seen from Jahanbakhsh mark him out as being a replacable player.

To be fair to him - he's been fit for every game. He's put in his shift in every game and he's got himself plenty of assists. He's contributing in a positive sense to the team and although I think the quality around him has overtaken him, all the time the others either are not fit or are not performing at a higher level, he will remain in the team. As it stands, I think we need a higher quality left footed winger to replace Solly and move Knockaert to 4th choice winger when Izquierdo and Jahanbakhsh are both fit.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Whilst I am invariably one of the first to leap to March's defence against the ridiculous criticism he receives - this was not his finest hour. He did all his defensive work to a tee - but that is an absolute given, in his case - something taken completely for granted. He gave the ball away sloppily a couple of times though, and he did miss two presentable chances to win the game. So for once, whilst I entirely disagree with your hyperbolic 'awful' assessment, I'm not bothered arguing with it.

What I will argue, all day and night is the absolute drivel, that I've highlighted. What an absolute crock of steaming shit to level at a local lad, who gives his absolute all, in every game. Not every player is a Gallic prima-donna, prone to pantomime shrugs (and regular bookings for poor reactions and dissent). The very fact that March controls his emotions is part of why Hughton rates him so highly.

Agree with this, although I was incredibly frustrated when he wasn't paying attention for the quick throw-in in the first half.
Icy has given a fair assessment of March. He is probably the player most shaped in CH's image. He'll rather retain the ball, and pass it back, than do something ambitious like taking on a defender (something he's more than capable of doing), and I think it's this that probably winds our 'fans' up the most.
Edit: to add, he's almost the polar opposite of Knockaert who is both over-emotional and prone to lose the ball in dangerous positions.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Maybe its time Solly was given a new role ... winger was his position and he is probably still very good in that role at a championship level but maybe with his improved defensive work he maybe evolved into a DM/CM in the near future.

I get the feeling CH has Izzy & Ali J down as his first choice wingers once they are both fit .. clearly does not have Knocky as a starter much going on recent line ups so its just a case of if he thinks March is good enough to start or is more the impact back up player

You can argue he is still young and learning and the best way of doing that is playing games but at the end of the day you have to ask 'has he improved or shown signs of improving'

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can argue he is still young and learning and the best way of doing that is playing games but at the end of the day you have to ask 'has he improved or shown signs of improving'

You have to ask that question when the stats show he is getting the assists this season?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yet there he is one of only 2 English players on the list of most assists, having DIRECTLY contributed to 25% of the Albion's goals, this season..

The English player thing is misleading. He’s judged against the rest of the Prem, not just a small subset. Why single English players out like this?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
He is a very inconsistent player, whose crosses and corners are not up to the standard we need. He also bottles 50/50 regularly. Wouldn't question his commitment though. Other opinions are available.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The English player thing is misleading. He’s judged against the rest of the Prem, not just a small subset. Why single English players out like this?

Indeed Ryan has the most shots saved in the Prem and most conceded....................................for an Australian this season.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Slice it anyway you want it:-

- Only 8 teams are represented.
- He's one of the youngest players.
- He has one of the highest percentage of chances created to total goals scored.
- One of the few without a full international cap.

I'm sure there's plenty of others, I chose home grown talent as they are overvalued.

Solly is still in excellent company.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
His stats are good but his performance against Arsenal wasn't. He may, hopefully, be better against Everton. He has stacks of ability but is inconsistent.

He is pretty consistent in his defensive work rate though doubling up for the right back. Natural wingers were always a luxury, either brilliant or absent all game. I wonder if his his upbringing with CH has curbed his flare - as others have said keep possession rather that take risks - just wish someone would attack the byline occasionally.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Judging by the comments on here, the anticipation seems to be Solly should have 20+ assists while the next best stays on 9.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
His stats are good but his performance against Arsenal wasn't. He may, hopefully, be better against Everton. He has stacks of ability but is inconsistent.

If he was consistent, he'd be playing for a bigger, maybe even top 6 team. I honestly think some Brighton fans' expectations of our player is far too high. They're also very unforgiving.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Slice it anyway you want it:-

- Only 8 teams are represented.
- He's one of the youngest players.
- He has one of the highest percentage of chances created to total goals scored.
- One of the few without a full international cap.

I'm sure there's plenty of others, I chose home grown talent as they are overvalued.

Solly is still in excellent company.

Can you provide the source of this please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here