[Albion] Solly March is not a defender; discuss.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

He's now made two incredibly rash challenges towards the end of games recently, one that luckily didn't cost us anything and one that unluckily did. Suggests to me that he's not a natural defender and Potter's policy of playing players out of position isn't really working

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He's a wing back or a wide midfielder. He's not good enough at defending to be a left back at top level, or good enough in the final third to be an attacking winger/left forward in a front 3 or even a 4 where one central player drops.

He's quality at the role he suits but at this level is not a utility player. At a lower level he could fill in all over the place and do a passable job because of the role he suits, not because he's a utility player. See also Bruno at cb or rm.

He’s. Not. A. Left. Back.

He's now made two incredibly rash challenges towards the end of games recently, one that luckily didn't cost us anything and one that unluckily did. Suggests to me that he's not a natural defender and Potter's policy of playing players out of position isn't really working

Incredibly rash? A challenge where he got the ball and a push just outside the box whilst chasing back? It amazes me how when people notice certain players making these fouls and not others, look how many fouls we give away around our box, we have a general problem as a team for giving silly fouls away, not just March.

He’s. Not. A. Left. Back.

Incredibly rash? A challenge where he got the ball and a push just outside the box whilst chasing back? It amazes me how when people notice certain players making these fouls and not others, look how many fouls we give away around our box, we have a general problem as a team for giving silly fouls away, not just March.

Amazed you thought it was a good decision by him. The Saints player was ahead of him marginally so a foul was always likely and on the edge of the box when there was a covering Albion player? How can that be justified in any way?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Amazed you thought it was a good decision by him. The Saints player was ahead of him marginally so a foul was always likely and on the edge of the box when there was a covering Albion player? How can that be justified in any way?

In a wing back system when the wing back is caught up the pitch whoever is your left sided centre half should be coming wide to help, Webster had a good game but his positioning was poor. It’s funny because people have pre conceived notions on March any mistake he makes is highlighted. Easy to say in hindsight it’s a poor challenge but when you’re tracking back and tired mistakes will be made.

Didn’t say it was a good decision - I said players make fouls all the time around our box, Lamptey does it as well yet I don’t see people making threads chastising him for it. Our defenders are not the problem, we give up barely any chances in games, we need better forwards.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

Or alternatively, Solly has been one of our standout performers this season in Potter's system and therefore a couple of errors are not outweighed by what he has offered the team.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Has anyone noticed how strong he’s become as well? I really noticed this at the game, down the left a couple of times in the first half he absolutely bodied a player off the ball, considering he used to be a bit lightweight that did impress me.

I think March is more than good enough, in fact I think defensively we are fairly good as a whole, we just don’t create enough and when we do we miss crucial chances. We should have had the game sown up with our play against Southampton in the first 35 minutes. We need more cutting edge up front.

Yeah he bulked up a couple of seasons ago.
The narrative o n here of him being "lightweight", takes a while to catch up with the reality though.

Total professional. in a professionally run club.
He gets analysed, told what he needs to work on, he works on it and improves..
It's been going on for a long time, yet apparently it's his "confidence" which is the problem.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
According to whoscored Solly is our best player.

I think most people would agree that he's been our best player this season.

Which is why we've won only 2 games in the opening 11, scoring just 15 goals in that time.

The players are good, but the team is performing poorly.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

He's made two challenges: One was rightly not given as a penalty but I'll concede was risky, the other was a collision outside the box that resulted in a penalty. I'm not even sure it was a foul.

I would also argue that Solly is categorically not out of position, more that he's actually finally found his position.

He's made two challenges: One was rightly not given as a penalty but I'll concede was risky, the other was a collision outside the box that resulted in a penalty. I'm not even sure it was a foul.

I would also argue that Solly is categorically not out of position, more that he's actually finally found his position.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Both were examples of poor game management, technique and discipline. The question for me is, will he learn from it or carry on costing his team with rash fouls? I hope he will learn, as I'm a fan of all the other stuff he does with the position and other squad options for LWB and LB don't exactly excite, particularly Burn who is another decent player not really being given a chance in his strongest position of CB

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
March should not be anywhere near our first 11.

Your level of trolling has really gone down Junior, it’s way too obvious now.
0D0515DA-AAAF-4A08-8889-42F709D5417A.jpeg

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Can’t agree with you there, see MU equaliser i think it was, from a free kick; nowhere near the man outside the back post, controlling the angle from the left.

countered by his header off the line in same game (tho in the end it counted for nothing) and taking the ball off Salah's feet when he looked certain to score. The rest of the defence was AWOL.

His problem with both tackles is that he not getting good enough support form the player on left side of the 3 CBs

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
countered by his header off the line in same game (tho in the end it counted for nothing) and taking the ball off Salah's feet when he looked certain to score. The rest of the defence was AWOL.

His problem with both tackles is that he not getting good enough support form the player on left side of the 3 CBs

Do you mean a physical presence by way of support ?
Or the LCB verbally coaching him as such , in a defensive minded way , positionally ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports