Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Solar Panels

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Surely that can't be right? The panels facing due east and due west will be in the sun for little more than half the time of the panels facing due south; and the times the sun is at its hottest (noon) are the times when it is at the shallowest angle for the east-west panels, as opposed to full on for the south panels.
The sun rising in the East is shining more directly on East facing tiles than South so for the first part of the day they are more efficient than the South facing ones. Yes, this will drop off during the day but whilst they will take longer to recoup investment, it is still worth getting them. and SE or SW facing is very nearly as efficient as direct S.

xpv_orientation_table.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xKBDNJbVqj.jpg

Thought I would give this a bounce. It seems that Wealden District Council don't have any schemes running at the moment to support/get deals for this. I am keen to get solar installed, with battery and feedback options.

Could any of you please share recent experiences, both good and bad, and costs?

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
3.5k mr know it all martin lewis reckons we'll all pay for energy yearly - that's more than my mortgage over 20 years ago and ive paid that off was what someone on radio said a while ago!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
3.5k mr know it all martin lewis reckons we'll all pay for energy yearly - that's more than my mortgage over 20 years ago and ive paid that off was what someone on radio said a while ago!

Actually, the latest forecasts I've seen are suggesting it'll be £3500/yr in October, and if Ofcom does what's expected and moves to revising the cap every 3 months increased again to £3850/yr in January, and more than likely remain above £3500 until well into 2024 before it might start to come down again.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Thought I would give this a bounce. It seems that Wealden District Council don't have any schemes running at the moment to support/get deals for this. I am keen to get solar installed, with battery and feedback options.

I've had 14 solar panels on my south west facing roof for 6 years. £6,000 including scaffolding and 'diverter' so spare power heats up my hot water cylinder. I added a Moxia 4.5 kw battery ( £2,000) last year and have been really really pleased with the whole set up. I've been running on 100 % solar (so completely free) electricity since 15 March and even in winter months get a healthy production. I did have some spare cash so spent it on the Solar PV rather than investing it. A very good decision for me as I'm not planning on moving.

I got in on the 12p a unit subsidy rate so get close to £600 per year in cash plus free electricity from March to Oct. This year i turned my gas boiler off in June so even hot water is now free. I have an old house and In the winter I run a gas Aga. This year I turned it off in in late May and now cook on electric so not paying for any power/ gas at the moment.

The company i used were from Eastbourne, Sussex Energy Advisors, and they were very easy to deal with.

Given the current price of electricity (and gas) I couldn't be happier. I've now passed breakeven point so all income and solar PV generation is a very healthy bonus. Panels should last 20 years, inverter and battery 10 - 15 years.

i think prices have come down a bit since the govt subsidies stopped, but of course demand will now be high so price might be creeping back up?

If you're thinking about Solar PV I suggest you get a couple of quotes and see if it works for you?

Good luck.

Last edited:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

I am still working through some of the teething problems on my installation but over all very happy and will be absolutely delighted once everything is sorted out. I have a 6Kw array (18 panels) with a 6kW battery. In the past two months it has generated 1,500 kWh. I have used 1,250 (55% of my electricity usage) and exported 250 so just under £400 saved. If the system had been working as designed, it would have been a little bit more than that but not much.

The whole thing cost just under £11,000.

I got mine through Sussex Solar Together.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I am still working through some of the teething problems on my installation but over all very happy and will be absolutely delighted once everything is sorted out. I have a 6Kw array (18 panels) with a 6kW battery. In the past two months it has generated 1,500 kWh. I have used 1,250 (55% of my electricity usage) and exported 250 so just under £400 saved. If the system had been working as designed, it would have been a little bit more than that but not much.

The whole thing cost just under £11,000.

I got mine through Sussex Solar Together.

I'm thinking about installing solar and a similar setup to yours would probably be about right. My average monthly usage is about 800kwh, I have about 50m2 of South facing roof. Ideally I'd like to be electric self sufficient, would 6kw be enough?

A couple of questions, did you have any issues with DNO permission, as your array is over 4kw?

What installation issues did you have and would you still recommend Sussex Solar Together?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I'm thinking about installing solar and a similar setup to yours would probably be about right. My average monthly usage is about 800kwh, I have about 50m2 of South facing roof. Ideally I'd like to be electric self sufficient, would 6kw be enough?

A couple of questions, did you have any issues with DNO permission, as your array is over 4kw?

What installation issues did you have and would you still recommend Sussex Solar Together?

Yes, I had problems with DNO - I was suppossed to be getting 22 panels with a 5Kw inverter installed but by the time the installation was due, the enhanced permission for a larger inverter had not come through due to the backlog in processing (and possibly a late application by the installer.). I was given the option of delaying three months or going ahead with a smaller array. I opted for the latter and dropped to 18 panels but didn't understand that I would also be dropping to a 3Kw inverter and the implications of that. Therefore, at the moment, once my battery is full, I am only able to use 3kW of the 6 that are being generated which is frustrating when I am using grid energy despite knowing that my panels are producing enough to cover my use. I have complained and the installer has restarted my application and will swap me to a 5kW inverter when it comes through but this is taking at least three months at the moment.

Having said that, even at the reduced efficiency, on a good day my array is generating over 30 kWh and once the 5kW inverter is installed, although I will be generating more usable energy, quite a lot of it will just be exported to the grid which is only a very small benefit.

When my array is fully up to speed, I will be generating well over 800kWh in a good month but the challenge is being able to use it all. You definitely need a battery - I have a 6kW one - but as I have a B&B, cooking in the morning uses a lot of energy and my battery has usually run down by about 2am so I have to use grid power. In addition, any time I use over 3kW during the day, I have to use grid power even when it is sunny. I have an iBoost immersion heater which uses excess energy to heat my hot water which is useful and am deciding whether getting a dual tarriff electricity supply will be worthwhile so that I can charge my battery cheaply at night.

I doubt that you will be able to be self sufficient unless you are ruthless in managing your use and/or have greater battery storage than me but you need to work out if spending and extra 3 grand or more on battery storage is worth it. In addition, in the winter the power generated will be significantly reduced. I would definitley go for a 5kW inverter if you are aiming for self-sufficency.

I had several other problems with the installation - largely due to inexperienced installers - but these were quickly fixed with pretty good customer service.

Solar Together was not the installer, they just gathered customers together and got quote a reduced rate from the chosen installer. I would definitely go down this route again as it gave an extra layer of accountability.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Yes, I had problems with DNO - I was suppossed to be getting 22 panels with a 5Kw inverter installed but by the time the installation was due, the enhanced permission for a larger inverter had not come through due to the backlog in processing (and possibly a late application by the installer.). I was given the option of delaying three months or going ahead with a smaller array. I opted for the latter and dropped to 18 panels but didn't understand that I would also be dropping to a 3Kw inverter and the implications of that. Therefore, at the moment, once my battery is full, I am only able to use 3kW of the 6 that are being generated which is frustrating when I am using grid energy despite knowing that my panels are producing enough to cover my use. I have complained and the installer has restarted my application and will swap me to a 5kW inverter when it comes through but this is taking at least three months at the moment.

Having said that, even at the reduced efficiency, on a good day my array is generating over 30 kWh and once the 5kW inverter is installed, although I will be generating more usable energy, quite a lot of it will just be exported to the grid which is only a very small benefit.

When my array is fully up to speed, I will be generating well over 800kWh in a good month but the challenge is being able to use it all. You definitely need a battery - I have a 6kW one - but as I have a B&B, cooking in the morning uses a lot of energy and my battery has usually run down by about 2am so I have to use grid power. In addition, any time I use over 3kW during the day, I have to use grid power even when it is sunny. I have an iBoost immersion heater which uses excess energy to heat my hot water which is useful and am deciding whether getting a dual tarriff electricity supply will be worthwhile so that I can charge my battery cheaply at night.

I doubt that you will be able to be self sufficient unless you are ruthless in managing your use and/or have greater battery storage than me but you need to work out if spending and extra 3 grand or more on battery storage is worth it. In addition, in the winter the power generated will be significantly reduced. I would definitley go for a 5kW inverter if you are aiming for self-sufficency.

I had several other problems with the installation - largely due to inexperienced installers - but these were quickly fixed with pretty good customer service.

Solar Together was not the installer, they just gathered customers together and got quote a reduced rate from the chosen installer. I would definitely go down this route again as it gave an extra layer of accountability.

That's great thanks. I've recently converted to a fully electric car, so I think a larger battery and inverter is the way to go.

With regards to DNO, is there a risk of rejection? I'm in a new build so I hope my local infrastructure is modern enough to handle a higher capacity than the miserly 4kw.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I am also going down this route and have gone large on this with the hope of being self sufficient. I am having a 17 panel 6.63kw arrangement on my south facing roof with a 6kw inverter and a 13.5kw Tesla Powerwall battery.
Deposit paid and PV installation in November with battery to follow as there’s a 9 month waiting time at present due to the global issues - hoping to get this all in by Apr/May to take advantage of next summer

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
To add to this, I’m using a very experienced company/installer who I researched and know someone who has a similar setup from them in place.
The first thing they did when I put my order in was get the DNO application in.
The big advantage of the Tesla (although it’s expensive) is access to Octopus Energy’s Tesla Plan which has a flat rate (currently 26p per kw for incoming or outgoing) so I can sell bavk to the grid at the same rate as I buy in so never wasting a penny

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
To add to this, I’m using a very experienced company/installer who I researched and know someone who has a similar setup from them in place.
The first thing they did when I put my order in was get the DNO application in.
The big advantage of the Tesla (although it’s expensive) is access to Octopus Energy’s Tesla Plan which has a flat rate (currently 26p per kw for incoming or outgoing) so I can sell bavk to the grid at the same rate as I buy in so never wasting a penny

Excellent. May I ask who you are using? What is your average usage and do they anticipate your proposed set up will enable self sufficiency?

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Excellent. May I ask who you are using? What is your average usage and do they anticipate your proposed set up will enable self sufficiency?

We’re using Sussex Solar in Horsham - came highly recommended.
Average usage around 700kw pm but have recently switched to an EV .
Yes hoping to be self sufficient at least in the summer months - the person I know with similar setup hasn’t paid a penny since March and has sold excess back to grid.
The beauty of the Tesla plan is the sell back rate - can basically build up a credit and use it back in the winter months.
This is not a cheap setup though (over £20k) but we’re not planning on moving and look at it as an investment in our property like we would with double glazing, a new driveway or a kitchen but this one is going to pay for itself in 5 years (particularly the ways things are going!)

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
That's great thanks. I've recently converted to a fully electric car, so I think a larger battery and inverter is the way to go.

With regards to DNO, is there a risk of rejection? I'm in a new build so I hope my local infrastructure is modern enough to handle a higher capacity than the miserly 4kw.

I was assured that there was no chance of rejection, it was just a formality but your installer should be able to give you better advice.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We’re using Sussex Solar in Horsham - came highly recommended.
Average usage around 700kw pm but have recently switched to an EV .
Yes hoping to be self sufficient at least in the summer months - the person I know with similar setup hasn’t paid a penny since March and has sold excess back to grid.
The beauty of the Tesla plan is the sell back rate - can basically build up a credit and use it back in the winter months.
This is not a cheap setup though (over £20k) but we’re not planning on moving and look at it as an investment in our property like we would with double glazing, a new driveway or a kitchen but this one is going to pay for itself in 5 years (particularly the ways things are going!)

Cost of Tesla puts me off. I've already got panels and have a high FIT. The buy back rate isn't great (about 4p a unit) but we get about 60p for every unit generated. I've got a quote of under £5k for adding batteries and upgrading the inverter.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi, sorry for bumping this up. We are thinking of solar too, but it is a nightmare to think through and whether its worth it. So, I will list my cirmstances and the prposed system, so any advice most welcome

I live in the North of England - Leeds. House is detached (new build), with an East/West facing roof. I plan to live here for more than 20 years.

My usage of electricity last year was 4564kwh or £1,710 using new cap of 34p

We currently work at home 3 days per week, but this might change to less than that in near future

My heating is gas via a combi boiler so no immersion

No Electric Vehicle, but again that might change in future

What I am looking for is a basic idea of

a) What system to have i.e how many panels - we have been told by a rep 15 panels, split over roof (7 on East, 8 on West)

b) does East/west split matter

c) Should we have a battery, if so what size -will 5.2kw be sufficient, or should I go for 6kw

d) I can programme the dishwasher to come on any time, but other appliances are more fixed. So, can a battery power my appliances in the evening. In June my max usage was 10kwh, but probably averages at 7kwh . Obviously more in winter

e) People have mentioned an inverter. No idea what this is, but what kw does it need to carry?

f) what savings per year, based on me not being at home during the day much, but with a battery, make on an annual electricity cost of £1710

I have had 2 quotes

£16,000 for 15 panels and one 6kw battery

£10,500 for 14 panels and a 5.2 kw battery

Your advice most welcome

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Does the sun even shine in Leeds ?

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Hi, sorry for bumping this up. We are thinking of solar too, but it is a nightmare to think through and whether its worth it. So, I will list my cirmstances and the prposed system, so any advice most welcome

I live in the North of England - Leeds. House is detached (new build), with an East/West facing roof. I plan to live here for more than 20 years.

We currently work at home 3 days per week, but this might change to less than that in near future

a) What system to have i.e how many panels - we have been told by a rep 15 panels, split over roof (7 on East, 8 on West)

c) Should we have a battery, if so what size -will 5.2kw be sufficient, or should I go for 6kw

d) I can programme the dishwasher to come on any time, but other appliances are more fixed. So, can a battery power my appliances in the evening. In June my max usage was 10kwh, but probably averages at 7kwh . Obviously more in winter

e) People have mentioned an inverter. No idea what this is, but what kw does it need to carry?

f) what savings per year, based on me not being at home during the day much, but with a battery, make on an annual electricity cost of £1710

I have had 2 quotes

Your advice most welcome

A couple of points although I live in Southern Spain. (a)....east/west split is a good idea, morning and afternoon sun. (e) inverter, needed to convert generated power to usable electricity. Ensure it is a hybrid inverter if you are going to be using/adding batteries now or in the future. With a 15 panel system a 5kwh hybrid inverter will suffice, they will handle up to 20% more than stated. Batteries....push the budget to 2x5kwh equaling 10kwh. you'll need it and never regret it. Even in Spain with a 12 panel system we have 10kwh batteries and with fridges, fans, tv's etc running go down to approx 55% overnight. Use your appliances during the daytime on sunny days (dirty washing stores in a basket!!). Keep the battery use for evenings when you need kettle, lights, tv etc.

Hope this is of some help for you.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Thank you so much

A couple of points although I live in Southern Spain. (a)....east/west split is a good idea, morning and afternoon sun. (e) inverter, needed to convert generated power to usable electricity. Ensure it is a hybrid inverter if you are going to be using/adding batteries now or in the future. With a 15 panel system a 5kwh hybrid inverter will suffice, they will handle up to 20% more than stated. Batteries....push the budget to 2x5kwh equaling 10kwh. you'll need it and never regret it. Even in Spain with a 12 panel system we have 10kwh batteries and with fridges, fans, tv's etc running go down to approx 55% overnight. Use your appliances during the daytime on sunny days (dirty washing stores in a basket!!). Keep the battery use for evenings when you need kettle, lights, tv etc.

Hope this is of some help for you.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

I have had 2 quotes

Your advice most welcome

As regards f), you might want to download the Loop Energy app, and give it access to your smart meter. It includes a “Solar Simulator “ which calculates savings you could have made, based on roof direction, past electricity usage, weather during that period, daylight length for your location , etc. You can configure a few options re panels and battery, and it shows whether you would have been using grid, solar or battery during each day, and savings . I don’t know how accurate it is, but I’m wishing I could rotate my roof 90 degrees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here