Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sofas - help!!!

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
If you are looking for value I think Ikea takes a bit of beating as somebody else said. Bought one 2 years ago which looks the same now as when delivered so bodes well. It's not classy but very functional.

If you want a bit more of a designer look I like the Bo Concept range myself. Some nice stuff but not cheap.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
many good replies sofa

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Mate of mine got a job at DFS. When we went in to look for a new sofa a couple of years ago his whispered advice was "don't buy from here - they won't last".

Assuming you don't want some garish, low, uncomfortable style, there is a lot to be said for buying from proper old local furniture shops. We bought one from Hanningtons when we first moved house and that lasted many years despite having small children and a puppy around. Our current one came from Reynolds in Bognor.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We are looking for new sofa and frankly the choice of good quality ones is poor.

Our last purchase a few years ago was from Next and although nice to start with the quality didn't last and we regretted the purchase.

Having viewed John Lewis, M&S, Furniture Village, DFS and Next again I am similarly unimpressed.

Any suggestions for good quality hard wearing sofas that don't look good for two weeks before deflating.

Help.

Ps) this is what happens when it's a no football weekend, I get dragged shopping.

Try Heals https://www.heals.com/?gclid=CIWJhI_wv8sCFRUW0wodDrgLDQ

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We are looking for new sofa and frankly the choice of good quality ones is poor.

Our last purchase a few years ago was from Next and although nice to start with the quality didn't last and we regretted the purchase.

Having viewed John Lewis, M&S, Furniture Village, DFS and Next again I am similarly unimpressed.

Any suggestions for good quality hard wearing sofas that don't look good for two weeks before deflating.

Help.

Ps) this is what happens when it's a no football weekend, I get dragged shopping.

I bought this one yesterday; http://www.dfs.co.uk/maestro/option-b-2-corner-2-manual-recliner-arizona#CzbyUwQFfi3P4Lbh.97

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I Upholster & would say that Multiyork are one of the better quality retailers out there. If you know an upholsterer then I would recommend you find a good quality chesterfield (padded seat, not with cushions) if you like those & get it properly reupholstered (not just recovered) & it will last you 20+ years & you can always resell it & cover your costs or close enough. It all depends on what you are looking for style wise but it is always better paying a bit more now & getting the benefit of quality & comfort.

Definitely would rather go with a classic design and reupholster it than some of the chipboard / softwood stuff you get from the high volume retailers. I did actually fish a nice Parker Knoll armchair that had be fly tipped at the corner of the park the other day. The woodwork is fine, just needs new covers - the things people dump...:shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I did actually fish a nice Parker Knoll armchair that had be fly tipped at the corner of the park the other day. The woodwork is fine, just needs new covers - the things people dump...:shrug:
I know, I managed to get a used, but decent condition woman with about 60 years left in her.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Ultimately sofas age due to their style, especially with an over active wife with new ideas every few years,

Too much information, BG

Really should read things properly. Saw this and immediately thought Ben's Grandad had written about his overactive wife!

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I couldn't be bothered to read through all of the pages, so sorry if I have said what someone has already. We have 3 sofas from marks and spencers and they have been brilliant and are of good quality (fabric material)
I would recommend

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here