Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sod off LEICESTER, we don't want your sort in the Champions League...

rudolf hucker

Jul 26, 2009
Hove
I always thought it was odd calling it the champions league when most of them were runners up or even 3rd / 4th in their league

SAC

May 21, 2014
This came up a few weeks ago. What I said then and I'll say now is that only works if the change is in the current season. Let's say the proposal is that there will be no relegation and promotion in 2017/2018 and the teams that go down next season will not get back up. I can't see Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich, Bournemouth, Swansea and West Brom voting for that (and possibly Palace too) ... and that's not enough to make a change.

If they said that there'd be no relegation this season, then yes, I'm sure that there'd a massive majority but a hell of a legal battle.

And the rest. Watford, Stoke, West Ham, Southampton and Leicester would all vote against. I'm not even convinced that the others would really want it when they aren't in any danger of being relegated.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
What absolute boxxocks. Just a further extension of what happened to our domestic football when the Prem was invented. Well fxxk 'em, let 'em go, let them play European regional football that will wash over real football fans without effect, let the new modern football fan have their sanitised version of the beautiful game. Meanwhile we can go back to blood and thunder football with sliding tackles, passion, players who respect the fans rather than just milk them, the FA Cup, giantkilling etc etc.

#fxxkthebig5

You forgot jumpers for goal posts

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The part which really astounds me about all of this is.

Lets say we keep the same system where you still need to qualify for these tournaments and lets say Leicester, Spurs,West Ham and Stoke become the dominant forces in the PL for the next 10 years. They will be the ones that everyone wants to see in the future because they are the ones that everyone will see on TV all over the world.

Man Utd Chelsea, Arsenal only have the brand name because they are the ones who have been on TV in the last 20 years in the Champions League. The other can create just as good a brand because Clubs like Leicester Stoke Spurs and West Ham can fill their grounds as easily as the others can when their teams are sucessfull.

It would make me physically sick if the create an exclusive closed champions League. I would refuse to watch it and a lot of other fans from other clubs might think the same

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Two points:

1. The underlying problem is capitalism. The biggest players in any market (and they see football as a market of course) always try to exclude fair competition and guarantee ever-increasing profits. This is why there never any such thing as a 'free market'.

2. I'm pretty sure that American dude will turn out to be a new Sacha Baron Cohen character

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
What absolute boxxocks. Just a further extension of what happened to our domestic football when the Prem was invented. Well fxxk 'em, let 'em go, let them play European regional football that will wash over real football fans without effect, let the new modern football fan have their sanitised version of the beautiful game. Meanwhile we can go back to blood and thunder football with sliding tackles, passion, players who respect the fans rather than just milk them, the FA Cup, giantkilling etc etc.

#fxxkthebig5

I stand to be corrected but i believe that within the last two weeks several if not more and including EPL clubs have met to discuss again the old chestnut of a European Prem Lge ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Leicester's 'cheating' was nothing to do with FFP. FFP wasn't even thought of when they built a brand new stadium, went bust, had their debts wiped and were allowed to start afresh with no punishment and with a zero bank balance.

Cheating FFP is small fry.

I'm nowhere near certain of this but wasn't the large big points reduction brought in after Leicester took the piss with their administration and got promoted the year we got relegated from the championship

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I always thought it was odd calling it the champions league when most of them were runners up or even 3rd / 4th in their league

and do you know what ? They are not either worthy Champions any of these 'modern' winners. Unlike Aston Villa,Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This came up a few weeks ago. What I said then and I'll say now is that only works if the change is in the current season. Let's say the proposal is that there will be no relegation and promotion in 2017/2018 and the teams that go down next season will not get back up. I can't see Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich, Bournemouth, Swansea and West Brom voting for that (and possibly Palace too) ... and that's not enough to make a change.

If they said that there'd be no relegation this season, then yes, I'm sure that there'd a massive majority but a hell of a legal battle.

Well, at this stage we're not talking about relegation / promotion from the PL being binned are we - this is all about membership to what would become a cabal of the biggest clubs in an exclusive European Champions League competition, to the exclusion of what would be considered "interlopers". They don't want gatecrashers like Leicester or West Ham having a decent season and denying any of the established elite their "rightful place" at the top table in European competition.

Thin end of a big wedge. Take a vote in the summer, and how hard would it really be to get 14 out of the 20 clubs to say "hmmm...yeah actually, lets not have relegation any more now, starting from this upcoming season".

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You may recall that the season they went bust (2002-03), Leicester had just been relegated from the Premier League.

Whilst in administration that season (and playing in their new free stadium), they retained the core of their Premier League squad they came down with, gained promotion straight back into the land of milk and honey, and all was rosy in the garden again.

Meantime, they took all 6 points off us on their way back up - while we were relegated at Grimsby...5 points shy of safety. So whilst I am enjoying seeing Leicester "stick it to the big boys" this season, I've not forgotten their cheating past. It was a highly effective template for several clubs to follow, some we could mention who actually followed it more than once.

Yeah that brings it home. Memories this of this and FFP, numbs the pleasure in seeing them at the top.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They didn't even pay a penny in the pound. They wrote off all of their debts, including their new stadium, and started afresh. It was because of Leicester that the points deduction for administration came in for clubs.

Not quite.

Taken from Wiki

'The £37m cost of the new stadium, combined with relegation from the Premiership, the collapse of the English transfer market due to the introduction of the transfer window and the collapse of ITV Digital meant that Leicester went into receivership shortly after moving to the new stadium. Birse Construction who had built the stadium therefore lost a large part of their fee. and they withdrew from any further football ground construction. The main losers from this were Leicesters local rivals Coventry City, who were in negotiations with Birse to build their own new stadium.

As part of the deal which brought the club out of receivership, the ownership of the stadium reverted to American Academic Retirement Fund TIAA-CREF, who had supplied £28m via a bond scheme towards the stadium's construction, with the club taking a long term lease while the bond repayments were made.

On 1st March 2013, Leicester City's Thai owners, King Power, bought the ground through their company K Power Holdings Co. Ltd'.

Birse apparently lost £5.5m on the deal and the purchase of the stadium in 2013 was estimated to be £17m.

So they got the stadium at a very knock down price but hardly for nothing. Bearing in mind our own stadium which cost considerably more has effectively cost us nothing so far and will, if not paid off by 2025 (apologies if I've got the date wrong) just be converted to shares.

That said, they still shafted a lot of creditors and the result of which was the introduction of the points deduction for other clubs going into admin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here