Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Social media and voting - you could be ARRESTED

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ballot papers are anonymous so how could they ever know with proof?
I guess the reason you're not allowed to say how someone else voted while the polling stations are still open is because it can be seen as trying to sway others with some sort of poll while the voting is still taking place. Therefore, it doesn't matter whether or not you were right about which party your partner voted for, the crime is announcing their vote.

Just as companies are not allowed to release exit polls tomorrow until after voting closes, they wouldn't be able to do so earlier and have a defence of 'well they might have lied to us anyway'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It’s a secret ballot. The law is there to protect that secrecy and in particular to protect voters from intimidation.
The ban on publishing how others have voted is not to protect voters from intimidation. They wouldn't be intimidated, they can simply say whatever they like and then vote in private anyway. The ban is make sure the coverage is impartial and prevent voters being influenced on the day of the election.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
About 30 years ago a local council candidate when to the polling station across from my house with his wife and daughter - he got 2 votes :D

Do you live in Withdean by any chance?

I wonder which one of the group didn’t vote for him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here