Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Social housing tenants earning over £30K will have to pay up to the market rent

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I don't see how that's relevant? The same is true for private renters (but somewhat more so). Social housing should be available for those who can't afford private rental. Surely anyone who can afford market rates should no longer be allowed to stay in council property?

This

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You got it. After all, its only fair that social housing should mimic the real world.

And maybe some social house users can own multiple social houses and cream a few quid off their neighbours?

Probably best we nationalise everything so we can all work for the State. It will be much better then

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I really feel for you, I see it all the time with the people I work with. The private rents are so high they can't save, and they are not in bad paid jobs. A few have gone back to living with parents in their late 20's early 30's just so they build up some money for a deposit. The problems with house prices in Reading is they can't save quickly enough. As they save the more they need with the house price increase, and who really want's to or has the option to move back with parents.

Rents should definitely be capped and council houses should be for those who really need them. I hope things change for you and your family so that one day you have a home of your own.

Agree with your sentiment for Spongy. We need more houses, soon. And prices will come down as interest rates go up. It will not be bleak forever if the government gets its act together

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Agree with your sentiment for Spongy. We need more houses, soon. And prices will come down as interest rates go up. It will not be bleak forever if the government gets its act together

I hope so. I don't know what the answer is but something has to change. Everyone deserves to have a secure roof over their head and private rental is not secure, your at the mercy of the landlord. As is their right they can sell their house or want it back. Once your contract expires your out. I privately rented when I left home and it's fine for a single person or a couple, but with a family it must be a nightmare. Really feel for Spongy and people in his situation.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could these excessive rents charged be due to the fact the houses are now all owned by a private housing associations and not council houses as they were originally.

Dandyman

In London village.
Some predictably idiotic right-wing drivel on this thread. Council housing is for everyone with allocation based on need, which is precisely why the Tories hate it.

The aim is to ensure as much money as possible is diverted into profit and rent rather than disposable income.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I find it amazing that people all turn on each other.

Those in private rented turn on council tenants.

Council tenants turn on housing associations.

Now we all turn on council tenants earning over £30K pa.

Owner occupiers turn on the rest and blame them.

Surely housing policy is to blame?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Local authority and housing association tenants in England who earn more than £30,000 - or £40,000 in London - will have to pay up to the market rent.

A great piece of long overdue legislation that will be unveiled in Wednesday's budget. :clap2:
Can't see much wrong with that (and I'm no Tory :) ). I might be missing something though, probably something fairly basic :) Although I suppose basically it's just some sort of deal to increase the fullness of the pockets of the Tory sponsors who own the private housing associations. So I'm for it and against it then.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Some predictably idiotic right-wing drivel on this thread. Council housing is for everyone with allocation based on need.

But it isn't. There are plenty of people in council accommodation who don't need it.

Dandyman

In London village.
But it isn't. There are plenty of people in council accommodation who don't need it.

Would you like to provide some evidence for that or do you just mean that there are people who private landlords could exploit if given the opportunity ?

Dandyman

In London village.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...tudinal_characteristics_of_social_renters.pdf

What the attached illustrates is that most social tenants (both Council and Housing Associations) are already on low incomes. The government campaign is aimed at increasing profits for private landlords and restricting the supply of affordable homes.

It will be interesting to see what evolves after Wednesdays big spin...the devil is always in the detail..especially how this is all going to be administered ....that and the other rumoured changes in housing benefits.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Would you like to provide some evidence for that or do you just mean that there are people who private landlords could exploit if given the opportunity ?

There are plenty of examples - I provided one the first page of this thread. A person I know with a family income over £60K per year and paying £138 pw rent living in a council house. There are people who need that council house far more than him. (He's off to New Zealand for 3 weeks this autumn so maybe he could let a family in temporary B&B accommodation borrow it for a bit whilst he's on holiday). Or the late Bob Crow - income of £145'000 but said he had 'no moral obligation' to move out of his council house. The system is broken all the while people hold this attitude.

Too many people feel 'entitled' - especially when other people are paying for their entitlement. Welfare should be a safety net - not a free ride.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...tudinal_characteristics_of_social_renters.pdf

What the attached illustrates is that most social tenants (both Council and Housing Associations) are already on low incomes.

it also answers your challenge to Bry Nylon, on page 4: "A small proportion (8%) of all social renters had a gross household income in excess of £700 a week". thats about 296,000 households in social housing with income over £36k. not alot if a couple to be fair, though more than an awful lot too (and pretty decent outside London).

so just to be clear, Dandyman would you rather the social housing goes to those with that income or those with say half that? (we'll assume that you'd prefer both to get social housing but right now that isnt an option).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here