Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So - would Harry have done any better?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Now we are in the midst of the the post Euros debrief I am curious to wonder how Harry Redknapp would have got on if he'd got the England job?

Basically the same squad of players at his disposal as Hodgson - but would Harry have given them a bit more spark?

I think most punters have given Roy the benefit of the doubt and know he is technically better qualified to rebuild and take the national team forward but just wonder what might have happened, apart from Harry giving lots of happy go lucky quotes to the media.

Personally I suspect that Harry peaked at Spurs in 2010/11 and got found out (in more ways than one) this last season and am quite relieved that he did not get the England job.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
i think he wouldve done better in the euros, he's got a knack like Martin O'Neil of building confidence in players and he wouldve had a go rather than defend the 18 yard line. But for the future of the game and Burton school of excellence Hodgson is the better pick

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Impossible to say, but I bet he's gutted he didn't sign a new Spurs contract when he had the chance.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
No he wouldn't
You can only work with what you're given - he would probably have picked the same group of players because we have nothing much else
The problem being that English Premier League clubs buy foreign strikers for an immediate impact rather than nurturing young English talent - until you stop them doing that (and let's face it it isn't going to happen as managers only care about the clubs that pay their wages and not about the national team) we will always be found wanting at major tournaments.
It was a backs against the wall performance tonight and we did the best we could but you can only go so far with poor grade players
We have a reasonable defence and a reasonable midfield but it's not great. As for our strikers they are of poor quality

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Hodgson got the most that could be got out of the players in the squad. That was England's current side to its maximum potential.

Thinking Redknapp could have taken us beyond would be like saying he could take Fulham's current side into a Champions League place.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yep, for sure. That was the most horrible match I have seen for 30 years or so.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hodgson got the most that could be got out of the players in the squad. That was England's current side to its maximum potential.

Thinking Redknapp could have taken us beyond would be like saying he could take Fulham's current side into a Champions League place.

Jol will have a good try of getting the best of the rest next season.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm a little puzzled as to how HR gains plaudits for his man management. He usually signs two teams worth of players (purchase and sales bonus). I can't imagine one would feel reinsured with new and old players flying about.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
By HARRY REDKNAPP

Q: WHAT’S the fallout from last night’s defeat?

A: We must learn a lesson from this and do our utmost to produce an Andrea Pirlo of our own.

Let’s be fair to ourselves and the Italians and admit it’d have been an injustice had we won. They were by far the better team even though there is no one more patriotic than me.

I am pinning a lot of hope on the new St George’s Park development centre and on coaches at every level in England.

We must get our kids to play, play, play. Realise it’s not all about being strong, big or fast.

Look at Pirlo against England — he had no pace, strength and he’s ancient. But what a fabulous display.

What we have got to do is bring through kids who as defenders will be happy to bring the ball out and forwards who want to receive the ball in tight areas surrounded by the opposition because they are comfortable in possession.

Q: WHAT did you think of England’s display?

A: I was pleased we came in level at half time. Italy dominated possession. They had twice as many touches as we did.

They enjoyed that because of the extra man in midfield — Pirlo. Although I don’t think many Italian players would get into the top teams in the Premier League they were better in the most important areas.

Roy Hodgson got the best out of the squad he had available to him in the time he had after getting the job.

He knows that it’s all about the future now and moulding the team his way rather than getting one together that is difficult to beat.

It was hard for our midfielders to make much impact because they were overrun by Italy’s three in the middle. And they just got stronger and stronger as the game went on.

Q WHO performed well in this match?

A: Glen Johnson. He performed miracles in my opinion.

He made last-ditch saves, superbly-timed blocks and looked good going forward. Glen doesn’t always get the recognition he deserves. But I had him at Portsmouth after he came through at West Ham.

England are blessed in the right-back position. We have Glen and Kyle Walker coming through. So that is a position in which we have a lot of strength in depth.

Q: HOW did you assess England’s tactics?

A: We played as positively as we could. It was 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 with Wayne Rooney dropping in when he could.

England’s tactics were to react well and hit Italy on the counter-attack. Italy keep the ball well, they don’t lose it very often and the stats showed that at half time.

In the second half it was about hanging on and trying to use Andy Carroll’s power and height.

We did well with what we set out to do. Roy harnessed our qualities to the best.

England got bodies in and made it hard for them to get through us. Everybody in that team works hard.

Striker Danny Welbeck did really well coming back defensively and we have the players that, when they lose the ball, work hard for each other and are then dangerous on the break.

By comparison, Mario Balotelli did not get back and dig in nearly as much for his team as Welbeck did.

Q: HOW does this leave you feeling for the Brazil 2014 World Cup and the way forward for that competition?

A: Strangely it was the absence of Jack Wilshere which was felt most keenly. He can be our Pirlo.

He’s the type of player I’m talking about who doesn’t rely on strength or speed — he’s a genuine footballer.

I am reminded of when Clarence Seedorf came to Tottenham a couple of years ago with AC Milan in the Champions League.

He was then 35 or 36 years old and we won and went through but boy did he play well, did he have a magnificent football brain which is ageless.

When players like Luka Modric, Eyal Berkovic and the like are on form they are match changers. It’s been a problem for us for the last 30 years — it’s why we haven’t won anything.

Q: WHAT didn’t work well in this match?

A: To progress at international level you have to be able to keep the ball. England struggled with that.

But Roy knows that. What he did was get the best out of the squad he had and it is something he will definitely work on.

By having Pirlo in the middle as an extra man, it was hard for Scott Parker and Steven Gerrard to get near him because he had two others who could peel off and get into space of their own.

The difference in the two teams shows that if you are going to compete on the world stage you have to be able to keep the ball. The only other midfielder we had in reserve was young Jordan Henderson.

Q: IS this the end for the so-called Golden Generation?

A: Gerrard was still our best player at Euro 2012. John Terry was magnificent. We still need those players because now there is World Cup qualification for Brazil in 2014 to think about.

We need to bring through a few youngsters, the likes of Wilshere I have already mentioned.

But while we are doing so, players like Gerrard, Terry and others will be of vital importance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here