Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who's this KIT NAPIER?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Alex Dawson- same era as Kit Napier. He could head the ball harder than most players could kick it.

He lived round the corner from me in Portslade. We occasionally kicked balls over his fence, which backed on to Easthill park. I seem to recall he was a Busby Babe and survived the Munich disaster.

Dawson, Beamish, Binney, Ward, in that order, were the ones who were brought in to get us doals. There were other forwards but these were the main acts. Because Dawson, Binney and Ward were so prolific, perhaps, I never thought highly of Kenny Beamish. Missing sitters and looking disappointed are my abiding memories.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember him being on Football Focus or its equivalent, where they had a long throw competition, he didn't win, and I can't recall who did.

Ian Hutchinson, I would imagine. There was a Chelsea player at the time who trained on his own in Easthill park in Portslade. Was it him I wonder?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Seem to recall Kit scoring direct from a couple of corners at the Goldstone

I used to stand high on the East Terrace and had a good view of Kit's inswinging corners. He definitely scored direct v Bury at Xmas time 1969...watched it all the way in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember Alan Duffy being very, very good - just not for very long :)

I remember Duffy shooting from the edge of the box and the ball hit one post, went behind the back of the keepr, hit the other post and back into play. Goldstone, South stand. Apart from that, my recollection of Duffy was beard, long hair, scruffy and useless. Wiki shows his career was short, and for a striker, poor (10 goals in 109 games total, 6 in 50 for us).

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Ian Hutchinson, I would imagine. There was a Chelsea player at the time who trained on his own in Easthill park in Portslade. Was it him I wonder?

No idea but he played for Slinfold in the West Sussex league after he retired so he must have lived out that way.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Willie Bell, muffled titter indeed.

Puts Gay Assassin in the shade.

Nogan was the hero of my era, played on the wing towards the end... Sold to Burnley, should never have happened. Top striker.

Kosh

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I remember Duffy shooting from the edge of the box and the ball hit one post, went behind the back of the keepr, hit the other post and back into play. Goldstone, South stand. Apart from that, my recollection of Duffy was beard, long hair, scruffy and useless. Wiki shows his career was short, and for a striker, poor (10 goals in 109 games total, 6 in 50 for us).

And he always seemed to be covered in mud.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Fred Binney was the first regular scoring forward I remember. He went off to the USA to play with Pele. Did Ward crowd him out of the team ? He had a one in two ratio.

Peter Taylor decided to drop Binney for the trip to Hereford ( top of the table clash ) and we were all shocked at the time. Fred was a regular goalscorer and had over 20 goals that season , with at least 8 games to play.
I've checked the records and Fred had four goals in five games immediately leading up to the Hereford trip. It was a big decision and all anybody was talking about before the game. None of us had seen Wardy play in the reserves but I did bump into someone on the day who informed me that this young player was ' different class '
50 seconds into the game, we had the answer.

Peter Taylor decided to drop Binney for the trip to Hereford ( top of the table clash ) and we were all shocked at the time. Fred was a regular goalscorer and had over 20 goals that season , with at least 8 games to play.
I've checked the records and Fred had four goals in five games immediately leading up to the Hereford trip. It was a big decision and all anybody was talking about before the game. None of us had seen Wardy play in the reserves but I did bump into someone on the day who informed me that this young player was ' different class '
50 seconds into the game, we had the answer.

But how many games did we win after wardy replaced binney? That switch derailed our promotion push:eek:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
In my time following the Albion (1959 - Present) the top goalscorers have been:

K Napier 99
Ward 95
Zamora 89
Nogan 60
Connor 59
Nelson 59
Murray 57
Barnes 53
Forster 51

Nobody else above 50, in all competitions. Having said that, the player who I saw scoring the most was the superb Jimmy Collins (an inside forward - attacking midfield player of today) who seemed to score in every game during the 60s.

Jimmy Collins....199 games...44 goals.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He lived round the corner from me in Portslade. We occasionally kicked balls over his fence, which backed on to Easthill park. I seem to recall he was a Busby Babe and survived the Munich disaster.

I believe he came into the side as a youngster, straight after the Munich disaster. I stand to be corrected but I think Big Al was the last player to score a hattrick in an FA Cup Semi-Final. ( 1958 )

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

If my memory is correct, he made his debut as a substitute, scored a screamer into the south stand goal and then went downhill very quickly. The Molango of his day.

And following the Alex Dawson post above, i remember reading that he played for United in the immediate aftermath of Munich, did really well scoring lots of goals, but was dropped after the senior players started recovering.

Alex was my first hero after sitting on the north stand wall and watching him take ball, keeper, defenders and anyone else who was around into the net. With his nose spread halfway across his face he was a real centre forward.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

He lived off his sensational debut goal at the Goldstone but the stories of his lifestyle were always doing the rounds. It was rumoured that he went missing on one occasion and was found asleep, on a local building site, in a condition best described as less than professional.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I believe he came into the side as a youngster, straight after the Munich disaster. I stand to be corrected but I think Big Al was the last player to score a hattrick in an FA Cup Semi-Final. ( 1958 )

You are correct. He was not on the plane, according to Wiki. And yes he was the last player to score 3 in a cup sem.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If my memory is correct, he made his debut as a substitute, scored a screamer into the south stand goal and then went downhill very quickly. The Molango of his day.

He must have started the game as the goal came pretty early ( first 10 mins? )

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Agree my one stand out recollection of Duffy is regardless of the time on the pitch he always seemed to be the muddiest and also holding his sleeves in his hands like Dennis Law although obviously not as good

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

That's the trouble with age. You gain great wisdom but lose all .....................................

highway61

Jun 30, 2009

Have not looked it up but was it against Bradford city? I was behind goal to right against wall. Fairly bulleted in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here