Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Jesus Christ there are so many posts on here that look like they originated from a 5 year old. Why are so many of you getting worked up about the Supporters Club. No one has said they represent all Brighton fans and not even that they even claim to represent the majority of us. NSC doesn't represent the majority of fans but that doesnt' stop people having opinions.

As for the chants, maybe if it was just the usual 'does your boyfriend know your here' then maybe that could just be construed as banter, although you'd have to ask someone who is gay whether they are offended. What is out of order is when it becomes threatening and the widely reported example of someone with their son be asked if he is passed around is totally unacceptable.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Does anyone seriously put CARDIFF on the list of well behaved fans with inclusive views on gayness? By Christ, what is Liz on?

If those boyos are not on the list of nasty shouts people then I'm taking my ball back. Come on Arsegas...where's your objective reporting?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Jesus Christ there are so many posts on here that look like they originated from a 5 year old. Why are so many of you getting worked up about the Supporters Club. No one has said they represent all Brighton fans and not even that they even claim to represent the majority of us. NSC doesn't represent the majority of fans but that doesnt' stop people having opinions.

As for the chants, maybe if it was just the usual 'does your boyfriend know your here' then maybe that could just be construed as banter, although you'd have to ask someone who is gay whether they are offended. What is out of order is when it becomes threatening and the widely reported example of someone with their son be asked if he is passed around is totally unacceptable.

I suggest you look at the press. They all quote "Brighton fans", not some minority group of sad-acts.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I suggest you look at the press. They all quote "Brighton fans", not some minority group of sad-acts.

They are brighton fans but exactly how does describing them as that mean they are referring to all brighton fans or has the english language changed recently. NSC is followed by Brighton fans but that doesn't mean it represents all fans.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
They are brighton fans but exactly how does describing them as that mean they are referring to all brighton fans or has the english language changed recently. NSC is followed by Brighton fans but that doesn't mean it represents all fans.

We have all now been tared with the same brush in the press. It looks like we are all offended by it and up in arms.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
We have all now been tared with the same brush in the press. It looks like we are all offended by it and up in arms.

Just recieved a text from a Gooner having a chuckle about 'Brighton fans being up in arms about homophobic abuse.' It makes absolutely no difference most fans aren't bothered we HAVE been tarred with the same brush & this is simply going to add fuel to fire. Watch it get worse before it gets better. Embarrassing

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Are you up in arms because your concerned that you are being linked to this group or perhaps is it more to do with fact that you think other fans actually think you're gay!

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Are you up in arms because your concerned that you are being linked to this group or perhaps is it more to do with fact that you think other fans actually think you're gay!

He never said he was up in arms & it's possible you may have missed the point.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He never said he was up in arms & it's possible you may have missed the point.

I believe the point some are making is that because one or two fan groups have raised this issue it creates a perception that all fans, whether members of groups or not, are also offended by it. Not sure you appreciated the point I was making!

What then is your understanding of the point most posters on this thread are making then. Enlighten me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Does anyone seriously put CARDIFF on the list of well behaved fans with inclusive views on gayness? By Christ, what is Liz on?

If those boyos are not on the list of nasty shouts people then I'm taking my ball back. Come on Arsegas...where's your objective reporting?

There wasn't any homophobic chanting at the away game this season. From what I understand, the supporters club have been logging chants at every away game and keeping a record.
Cardiff recently won the Family club award at the League Awards ceremonies last week (the same ones that Calderon won his Community Player of the Year) because they've cleaned up their act since moving into the new stadium.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The only Brighton fans on tonight's local news were Liz Costs and a lady with her daughter who'd been vox popped outsode the shop by a cub reporter who looked more concerned with the strength of the wind.

The only one who looked up in arms was Costa, because it will get her some publicity rather thsn because she drinks from the furry cup. It's not her battle.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
I believe the point some are making is that because one or two fan groups have raised this issue it creates a perception that all fans, whether members of groups or not, are also offended by it. Not sure you appreciated the point I was making!

What then is your understanding of the point most posters on this thread are making then. Enlighten me.

After 6 pages I'd say it was obvious. Liz Costa represents herself & a minority. Not me & not 70% of NSC (according to the poll) who really not bothered about the 'banter'. I don't agree with vermin shouting mindless abuse at families outside the ground whether it's homophobic or otherwise. But where do you draw the line on what's not acceptable? She doesn't speak for me & just because she may be offended doesn't mean everyone else is. Unfortunetley now BHAFC fans either lose the right to banter because we can't handle it (apparently) and therefore can't dish it out or we get it worse than before for being pussies.

I hope this enlightens sufficiently

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
After 6 pages I'd say it was obvious. Liz Costa represents herself & a minority. Not me & not 70% of NSC (according to the poll) who really not bothered about the 'banter'. I don't agree with vermin shouting mindless abuse at families outside the ground whether it's homophobic or otherwise. But where do you draw the line on what's not acceptable? She doesn't speak for me & just because she may be offended doesn't mean everyone else is. Unfortunetley now BHAFC fans either lose the right to banter because we can't handle it (apparently) and therefore can't dish it out or we get it worse than before for being pussies.

I hope this enlightens sufficiently

Then get a life.

Who gives a shit what other fans think.

From what you are posting, no doubt you regret that you can't give the odd black player a monkey chant like the good ole days of the 70s, after all, no offence intended, it's just a bit of banter by some good ole working class lads!!!!! One minute you say mindless abuse is not acceptable but then you don't know where to draw the line.

Liz Costa, as far as I'm aware has never said she speaks for all fans, including you or me. However, she is entitled to an opinion and she is entitled to raise it if it offends her and/or friends of hers.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
I think this whole argument against homophobia doesn't need to be soiled by the inclusion of chants such as 'we can see you holding hands' or 'does your boyfriend know you're here?' Both of which are very harmless chants, and ones the majority of fans usually respond to by sarcastically clapping or just ignoring it completely. Also I'm pretty sure any northern team call all southerners 'soft southern poofters.' If you complain at those then all Northern teams have a right to call us up on calling them inbred, or all west country teams have a right to call us up on us thinking they're all faaarrrmers!

I'm all for getting rid of the actual homophobic 'abuse' but half of what is in that report doesn't even constitute as abuse just harmless, yet exceedingly tedious, banter.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Then get a life.

Who gives a shit what other fans think.

From what you are posting, no doubt you regret that you can't give the odd black player a monkey chant like the good ole days of the 70s, after all, no offence intended, it's just a bit of banter by some good ole working class lads!!!!! One minute you say mindless abuse is not acceptable but then you don't know where to draw the line.

Liz Costa, as far as I'm aware has never said she speaks for all fans, including you or me. However, she is entitled to an opinion and she is entitled to raise it if it offends her and/or friends of hers.

I don't know where to draw the line?? I'm banging my head against a brick wall here. Your main Paragraph demonstrates that once again the point has been clearly missed... Again. If you want to think I'm racist that's up to you but I'm regretting now debating with someone who clearly doesn't read other peoples posts properly. I should have known better when I saw your response to pork pies comment at 109.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
what a load of old bollocks...........what percentage of fans are actually gay...?? i personally wouldn't and dont give a shyte about the homophobic chanting ,if the constabulary have deemed it to be a criminal offence then let them get on with arresting , ejecting and fining people........welcome to the real world for a lot of fans..........if it was bad at forest ,imagine what you'll get at Anfield , Goodison , chelsea , citeh etc.

my only concern is it sometimes falls upon young ears which isn't ideal.............the irony is a very high percentage of the gays that have found themselves in good old Brightonium are from other parts of the country.......anyone who thinks that Brighton has a genetic cluster of gayness is simply out of their TINY minds.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't know where to draw the line?? I'm banging my head against a brick wall here. Your main Paragraph demonstrates that once again the point has been clearly missed... Again. If you want to think I'm racist that's up to you but I'm regretting now debating with someone who clearly doesn't read other peoples posts properly. I should have known better when I saw your response to pork pies comment at 109.

Gone over your head by the look of it. I'm not saying you are racist. What I was doing was drawing a comparison with people who didn't know where to draw the line with regard to racist chanting. Many people did not see the harm in monkey chants but very probably wouldn't be the sort of person that approaches people of other races and personnaly threaten them. However, how many black footballers of the 70s considered it acceptable. Or did they just keep their heads under the parapet so to speak!

It's not up to you or me to draw the line. The law does it. Next question is who and to what extent is it going to be enforce it?

You're probably not offended by gay chants because you're not gay. But if you were, would you be happy to sit in the stadium and endure homophobia? I was discussing this with my wife earlier and a former colleague of hers who is a season ticket holder said sometime ago that a couple of his friends who are gay wouldn't go to football because of the homophobia. Go back to the 70s and how many supporters were from ethnic backgrounds? Times change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here