Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what happened to the expected travel chaos?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Seemed to work fine for nearly everyone. Lord B, any comments????:lolol:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
To be fair a cold wet Tuesday evening game with 22,500 fans all rushing to leave the stadium at once could be a whole different kettle of fish!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Well 17,000 pretty much left together today pretty efficiently. I guess another 5,000 could push it over the edge but I doubt it.

From what I can tell, skimming through a few threads, the numbers travelling by train seem to have been well below the Club's estimate - which is good news.

Getting back to Mill Road P&R seems to have presented a few problems - was it full to capacity?

The biggest issue seems to have been the time it took to get away from Bennetts Field and the University car parks - holding vehicles back from getting out of Bennetts Field would certainly help get buses and coaches out of the coach park.

I did speak to someone who was worried about how long their coach service would survive, with so few people using it.

Did anyone have a problem with queues at Brighton Station? Or getting on a train at London Road? The train I caught at Glynde had standing passengers well before it got to Lewes - but passengers wishing to board it at Lewes were being shepherded on to an alternative train that was waiting to leave five minutes later.

I heard there were problems on the London main line. What happened?

What about parking in Moulsecoomb and Coldean? How did that work out?

What about Travel Vouchers? No-one was interested in checking either tickets or vouchers on the trains I travelled on.

And disabled parking certainly remains a problem.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Getting back to Mill Road P&R seems to have presented a few problems - was it full to capacity?

I think it was. We had a coach back to Shoreham via Hangleton, and we turned off the A27 at Dyke Road. Cars were parked right at the very top of Mill Road, and even some on the verges there.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The biggest issue seems to have been the time it took to get away from Bennetts Field and the University car parks - holding vehicles back from getting out of Bennetts Field would certainly help get buses and coaches out of the coach park.

We were in the Uni car park and were directed to use the Eastern exit and not the Stanmer park exit after the match which surprised me. Took ages to get out and ended up taking the Eastbound A27 and then doing a U-turn at the first roundabout to avoid the very slow moving queue.

Hasn't that junction got enough to cope with already what with all the Bennett's Field traffic, buses and coaches and normal Saturday afternoon Rottingdean traffic without an additional 700 cars from the Uni? I'd like to know what the logic was. Maybe they wanted to keep the Stanmer exit just for staff and students. Seemed crazy to me.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
From what I can tell, skimming through a few threads, the numbers travelling by train seem to have been well below the Club's estimate - which is good news.

I did speak to someone who was worried about how long their coach service would survive, with so few people using it.

Did anyone have a problem with queues at Brighton Station? Or getting on a train at London Road? The train I caught at Glynde had standing passengers well before it got to Lewes - but passengers wishing to board it at Lewes were being shepherded on to an alternative train that was waiting to leave five minutes later.

I heard there were problems on the London main line. What happened?

What about parking in Moulsecoomb and Coldean? How did that work out?

What about Travel Vouchers? No-one was interested in checking either tickets or vouchers on the trains I travelled on.

And disabled parking certainly remains a problem.
I would like to know the answer to parking at Coldean also. I will be using this option for night games.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
When we looking out of the concourse in the WSU before the game we could see the traffic backed right up the A27 up the hill as far as you could see.I expect the locals will cotton on to this.How long did it take the park and ride buses to get through this?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
No issues with London line it was all incredibly efficient I was stunned. Got to clapham around 6.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
We left by train after the game. Didn't leave early, or rush to the station. There was a queue to get on the platform, Brighton bound, as they were only letting one train-load of people through at a time. Got the third train at 5.20 ish and were back in hove by 6.00, having changed at Brighton. Pretty smooth really, considering the amount of people.

I think because of the novelty factor the some of the crowd might have lingered plus there will be another 5k to add on.Also will be the away fans on the trains to brighton might need a bit more control,all in all they managed very well but still didn't enjoy the q for for trains took 75 min to get back to hove i expect this to rise to 90 min + Got a bit spoiled walking to the goldstone and withdean!:moo:

we left by train after the game. Didn't leave early, or rush to the station. There was a queue to get on the platform, brighton bound, as they were only letting one train-load of people through at a time. Got the third train at 5.20 ish and were back in hove by 6.00, having changed at brighton. Pretty smooth really, considering the amount of people.

same journey time left ground 16.45 back at hove 18.00,plus your flag looks like mine?

Attachments

• scan0016.jpg
    scan0016.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 1,148

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I didn't go to the game, but I live on Coldean Lane. I was really surprised how few people parked in Coldean and walked. 8/9 cars arrived around 1pm and then nothing else. Coldean Lane was pretty empty.

I know there were a few parked closer to the Hikers, but no chaos by any stretch of the imagination. The traffic seemed fairly normal for a Saturday too. It has been far worse when the Race for Life is on.

Will be interesting next Saturday.

PWSeagull

Jul 24, 2007

We got to Mill Road at around 1.40pm, only another 20 or so cars would have made it after us - was definitely full. I assume they shut the road off at the roundabout and directed cars to the racecourse ? No problems getting to the ground - bus a bit slow around the Falmer junction but not a huge issue, got in at around 2pm and in seat within 10 mins. We didn't hurry out of the ground and fortunately got on the last bus (coach) which left in the first wave of departures. There was a very long queue of people behind us. Given how long it took to get back up the hill on Mill Road, I would guess it would have taken the buses a fair amount of time to get back to the stadium to pick up the remainder. I'm keen to know how easy people found it to get to the racecourse, Mill Road could be full most games based on yesterday.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Left Bennett's Field Car Park 30 minutes after the end of the game, and was back home in beautiful downtown Saltdean just 10 minutes later.

Could. Not. Have. Been. Better.

Well done to all

:thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Mill Hill was totally rammed, judging by the empty buses to Mirthras House perhaps that would be a better option.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We were in the Uni car park and were directed to use the Eastern exit and not the Stanmer park exit after the match which surprised me. Took ages to get out and ended up taking the Eastbound A27 and then doing a U-turn at the first roundabout to avoid the very slow moving queue.

Hasn't that junction got enough to cope with already what with all the Bennett's Field traffic, buses and coaches and normal Saturday afternoon Rottingdean traffic without an additional 700 cars from the Uni? I'd like to know what the logic was. Maybe they wanted to keep the Stanmer exit just for staff and students. Seemed crazy to me.

I left car park 3 in the Uni, started to go up the hill and saw traffic backed up for what was obviously a long way. A couple of cars started turning around so I did the same. I was stopped by some spotty faced oil of a steward who told me that they wanted all cars to leave from the other exit but 'this week you can go through'. Why on earth would they want to add to an already congested situation? I was the only vehicle leaving via the Stanmer Park exit and I was on the A27 a hell of a lot quicker than the poor sods using the other exit. if the Uni has more than one exit why not use them all? Doesn't make sense to do it the way they did yesterday

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From Withdean I was in HH about 5.35 and my brother was home in Feltham Middlesex before 6.00pm. I arrived at HH about 6.20 so don't know what time he will make Feltham but overall the train journey home wasn't bad, possibly due to many people going into the shop etc after the game, which will stop once the novelty wears off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here