Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Members

Watching MOTD this morning does make me start to question the clubs approach to signing a striker. I generally support our approach to transfers and yet in our fourth season in the PL we have one made one effective striker signing.

I know Callum Wilson divides opinion but for me he’s a premier league ready striker and recent England international who scores and makes goals. He was available for £20m, the same price we paid for a championship striker who had never played in PL.

He and his family lived on the south coast so we would have been an attractive proposition and we would have had him ready to go for our first game.

We may have someone better lined up but when will they arrive. For me the club overthinks it’s strategy and tries to be too clever in relation to forward players. I’m am becoming frustrated with it ms shops to be proved wrong.

Brilliant. I think we need to change our recruitment approach FOR STRIKERS ONLY. We are clearly failing to deliver in this area of recruitment, but many on here still leap to our club’s defence with zero evidence that we are recruiting strikers well. Strikers are different, we need to wake up NOW and stop playing moneyball FOR STRIKERS ONLY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
At worst, dropping us to 16th.

Could another player have helped us to get more than 2 points from those matches...?

Yes, the target man striker we should have signed 3 seasons ago

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
How many times?!
As much as we love him and appreciate everything he’s done he is no longer a threat.
That was clear to see on Friday evening - move on and stop keep repeating the same thing!

Stop keep repeating the same thing. Then I will stop.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Club are going to buy a striker and I suspect other players too as will rest of premier league. They have 3 weeks left. That’s how it works .
They probably would have liked to have it all wrapped up weeks ago but so what.

Arguing that they can get by without is pointless - they won’t
Arguing that the season is doomed cos the players are in place for 34 or 35 games instead of 38 - ridiculous .

But rinse repeat . Rinse repeat :)

Every point counts. We have hardly been comfortable with 7 games to go each season. The games at the start of the season offer up to 3 points, just like the games later in the season. Fine margins.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
nom nom nom BW has woken up screaming for bitty.

Still plenty of other posters prepared to wap out their babs for him, so he won't go hungry.

Lol [emoji23]I believe this is victimisation.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Wilson was

1. Too expensive
2. High wages
3. Wouldn’t suit our style of play.

Move on

1 Cheap
2 Probably
3 Perfect fit for our style

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
1 Cheap
2 Probably
3 Perfect fit for our style

No he wasn’t a perfect fit for our style .... I know a couple of Bournemouth season ticket holders and what they told me was repeated again last night by both Souness and Jimmy Floyd which was he suits a team with a very direct style and his problem over the last couple of seasons is Bournemouth not getting the ball forward quick enough to him.

He will suit a team who look to go direct and play the ball forward quickly we is something we don’t do.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Agreed, Potter has a number of game plans, the one where we are able to put a cross in to a player who can compete with defenders in the box is not currently available, except on set pieces.

If we don’t sign a decent sized quality striker I can see us being guaranteed to be in a relegation battle, we might still be in one even if we do make a signing.

We cannot go through until January without a new striker, surely?

I would be very happy if we give Ali J a go as striker but I’ll be worried if that is the new striker plan

Agree 100%

We are missing two important things up front

1) A strong strike / forward who can hold up play and bring others in, the classic outlet

2) Arial threat in the opposition box during open play .

Maybe we should start looking at the WWE?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
No he wasn’t a perfect fit for our style .... I know a couple of Bournemouth season ticket holders and what they told me was repeated again last night by both Souness and Jimmy Floyd which was he suits a team with a very direct style and his problem over the last couple of seasons is Bournemouth not getting the ball forward quick enough to him.

He will suit a team who look to go direct and play the ball forward quickly we is something we don’t do.

So you don’t think he has scored around 10 goals in the Prem every season? Can head the ball? Was playing for England as CF a year or so ago, and Chelsea wanted him? Or that Potter likes to play a big fella up front? Okay, fair enough

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Every point counts. We have hardly been comfortable with 7 games to go each season. The games at the start of the season offer up to 3 points, just like the games later in the season. Fine margins.

Rinse repeat

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
So you don’t think he has scored around 10 goals in the Prem every season? Can head the ball? Was playing for England as CF a year or so ago, and Chelsea wanted him? Or that Potter likes to play a big fella up front? Okay, fair enough

I’m not saying he isn’t good... that’s not what I said is it.

I’m talking about where his strengths are and how he is successful.

He wants the ball forward quickly and suits a direct side who get the ball forward quickly and in from wide..... he does pretty much all of his work within the width of the penalty areas. He think he will be very successful with Newcastle because they set up in a way that suits him. I just don’t believe he is the type of player we are after, but that’s just my opinion from what I see and what I’ve been told about Wilson from people who watch him.

Apr 14, 2016

Good striker with a decent return, but no, not an obvious fit for our style of play.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Where is [MENTION=350]Zebedee[/MENTION] when you need him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here