Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So was Owen snubbed

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
"The Mess"? Have next to no debt and refusing to pay the wage and/or transfer fee demands for older wannebee players.
Trying to run things properly now, and not adopting the QPR spending spree approach.

by the mess I meant letting players go and transfer options falling through.

Up front, they have Suarez (creates chances but doesn't score), Borini and then young reserves. They had Morgan and Suarez up front vs hearts and struggled to score. Their season was screwed last year with Suarez's ban and they had a terrible run in that time.

Suarez is their best attacking player and played at the Olympics. If he get's injured, it will be worse than last year as they'll have kids up front.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I reckon the clubs he's been talking to have told him to hang on. Every club up north have been working hard today, why waste time on Owen? You can sign him any time, so leave him to it and get in the players you want to get in. No rush for Owen, he doesn't need to work again in any capacity I wouldn't have thought, thanks to Newcastle largely...

He certainly does need an income to finance the keep of his race horses

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Probably can only get a pay as you play deal and I don't think that would suit Owen to well. The amount he has played over the last few years it wouldn't cover the petrol he has to put in his tank.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Owen effectively retired years ago and now just signs deals to fund his horse racing business. No doubt a premier league club will still sign him and then marvel at how little he is available to play.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Free transfers still available... so still more excitement to come!!!

Come on Tuncay!!!

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Don't know why there is such a spiteful edge to so much talk about Michael Owen.

He used to be the golden boy - is it any wonder he still clings to a conception that he still is, of sorts?

RedSteve65

Apr 3, 2011
I agree with some of the other posters. Liverpool didn't sign a much needed striker and Owen is still available. Whatever you think about him he can still put the ball in the back of the net. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he goes back to Liverpool.

Phoenix Arrow

Mitoma Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2009
Sverige
Has said won't play in Champ, I personally don't think he's the type to play abroad somewhere he doesn't speak the language. Maybe he'll retire then god knows he must be minted. 5 kids? Wow
True. I don't think he's the type to play abroad. I couldn't imagine him playing in Spain or somewhere for example.
I'm being pedantic, I agree with you. He's settled in the north and he won't leave. People keep saying he's being arrogant but the fact of the matter is he has a family and his stables and whatever. He wants to be playing Premier League football again, but if he doesn't get any offers then he's (presumably) got enough money that he doesn't have to worry about settling for anything other than what he wants. If he doesn't get an offer he wants there's always horse racing, golf and punditry.

Though I imagine he'll get an offer by the end of next week.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
Don't know why there is such a spiteful edge to so much talk about Michael Owen.

He used to be the golden boy - is it any wonder he still clings to a conception that he still is, of sorts?

This. People forget that with Owen he, like Beckham, always gave 100% for England and a lot of his injuries were as a result of trying to rush him back for tournaments etc. Hes a legend.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Very much agree. If no-one takes him as their back-up in the next couple of weeks though...... there's always MLS. If he doesn't want to 'drop' to the 5th best league in world football, he will probably chase the money and go to about the 50th best league as a 'franchise' player

What is the 5th best league in world football, and the 50th best league ??? is there a league table of leagues somewhere? if so who compiles it.

Ur_havin_a_Laugh

⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽&
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
I hope so.

He stated, previously, that he was unwilling to drop to the Championship. So, Michael, how much do you enjoy playing football?
How much does he still rate himself

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
michael owen @themichaelowen
Up early, too excited to sleep. Final day of the transfer window and I'm likely to play a part in it!

What a deluded little man he's become. Deary me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here