Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, the Greek referendum and possibile EU resignation drop out thing..

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
.. Do we reckon that will lead to cheaper holidays there next summer, and worth holding back on booking till after January, or will any currency changeover back to the Drachma cause mayhem for months on end ?

I thought Greece couldn't service their debt beyond October/November, so not quite sure what happens between then and January anyway..?

The whole thing is completely messed up. For financial reasons I don't think they can have the referendum on the proposed date of 15th January, and if they have it sooner (say beginning of December) I'm not sure that there's enough time for the government (and, in all liklihood, the opposition parties, who have bought this on) to sway enough of the population to vote yes. In which case the whole thing will descend into a complete nightmare and you won't be wanting to go there next summer anyway.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Its an absolute tragedy for the ordinary Greek people who are being hammered economically through no fault of their own. What a nightmare they're living through!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Its an absolute tragedy for the ordinary Greek people who are being hammered economically through no fault of their own. What a nightmare they're living through!

I thought a lot of their problems was because of tax avoidance on a massive scale-by ordinary Greek people? I have no idea if this is true btw, just repeating what's been said a lot since their troubles have been highlighted.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I thought a lot of their problems was because of tax avoidance on a massive scale-by ordinary Greek people? I have no idea if this is true btw, just repeating what's been said a lot since their troubles have been highlighted.

I love the way they avoid paying tax on their homes, all over the country they have houses with bits of metal sticking out making it look like they are unfinished and the tax only gets collected once the house is complete.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Hahahahaha!!! Very funny.

If Greece dont sign up for this deal the whole of Europe will be in trouble... including the UK so dont expect to go ANYWHERE next summer.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

There are just way too many comedians on this site!!!

Greece are in this mess because they have lived a spend spend spend economy for way too long. Turkey would be int eh same mess if
1 It was a memeberr of the EU and had all its mates papering over the cracks and (which is a consequence of 1)
2 It hadnt already had its own crises which it had to bail itself out of before the rest of Europe and got its house (partially) in order.

Greece (not S.Cyprus) is now desperate to get Turkey in the EU because the two are perfect trade partners and entry into the Turkish market might just save them.

I love the way they avoid paying tax on their homes, all over the country they have houses with bits of metal sticking out making it look like they are unfinished and the tax only gets collected once the house is complete.

I was told this once by a Greek but didn't really think the Greek Govt could be that stupid.

It appears they were.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Greeks would need a devalued currency (whatever it is) and so holidays would be cheaper in theory. Collapse of rest of European financial control also need to be taken into account though.

South Coast Eagle

Oct 2, 2009

I didn't realise they did this in Greece but it now makes a lot of sense. This is a common practice in Egypt as well which was explained to me on a coach in Cairo by a tour rep.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Greece , the new CRYSTAL PALACE of the European Union.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Everybody knows that Greece will default on it's debt eventually so why prop it up with cash that will do nothing in the long run? My personal veiw is that the EU (especially Germany and France) are just bailing Greece out to avoid calling it a default to give the EU some time to distance it self from Greece and then it will kick it out and tell it to go back to the Drachma.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here