Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So the 3 strikers that got us out of league 1.....

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Agreed. I found that criticism bizarre. He scored quite a few goals for us, often from the bench, as an 18 or 19 year-old.

I'll put my hand up as one of those who didn't rate him that highly. For a youngster he had good power and finishing from some fairly static positions but possessed little mobility and seemed unable to get more than foot off the ground. I don't think those kind of abilities can be coached into a player or would develop naturally

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He's definitely improved massively. I felt he was really lazy when he was here, but he could stick a ball in the net, which let's face it, we could do with now!

Sounds a bit like Jimmy Greaves, or the reputation he had.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Wood hasn't been first choice this season, which means they may well off load him in the summer. If we get a bid for Ulloa, that we can't refuse, we could do far worse than try and get Wood back.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Let's not forget Vokes as well....although he was never L1 for us.

Vokes you can understand to a degree though. He was competent enough, but never looked like scoring goals.

Wood's scoring record with us was pretty good, and yet plenty refused to see any potential in him.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'll be honest in the fact that I likened Wood to a pinball machine during his time here, his first touch was that bad. Funny because I'd have him back without a second thought now.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
And all three have been slated heavily on NSC at some point.

Which is why I don't take too much notice of NSC's general view of players

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
If Burnley go up, Barnes is almost certain to be in the matchday squad, especially with Vokes likely to be out until Christmas at least.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
'Many fans', or just one or two knobs?

Murray's scoring record was basically 1 in 2, THROUGHOUT his time at the Albion.

I can't recall ever hearing that term. I liked the bloke. Was disappointed when he left.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If Burnley go up, Barnes is almost certain to be in the matchday squad, especially with Vokes likely to be out until Christmas at least.

What's he been like for you so far, in the limited game time he's had?

Jan 10, 2014
What's he been like for you so far, in the limited game time he's had?

He's done well.

He's got through the work and done his best to hold the ball up and bring others into attacking play.

It hasn't really been the best time to judge him what with him playing a lone role and our rejigged side and missing creativity. Ings and Trippier (as well as suspended Marney) are meant to be back this week so he may have a partner and a provider.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My take on those 3:

Murray was a class act for us, and improved season on season. Had everything other than searing pace, was a brilliant striker and a great footballer in general. Also useful in defending set pieces. A tiny minority slagged him off as he came across as unsmiling (shy?), and looked languid. This became a larger noisy minority when he joined CP for the predictable reasons, but those bitter fans wouldn't bring themselves to blame Poyet for getting it so wrong in not rating Murray enough to award a decent pay rise to our star.

Barnes did a great job at League One level for us, and a reasonable job at Championship level. All for someone who's transfer fee cost to us was tiny, wages modest, and could & did help out in countless games out of position in midfield. Barnes was appreciated by the Withdean crowd, but as the fan-base grew at the Amex and expectations rose, a section of fans singled him out as the player to despise.

Wood was ok in some games, but was incredibly poor in hold up play for a tall big centre forward. I was relieved when we made no effort to sign him. It was big surprise to me when he came on fire for Millwall and Leicester.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That was the only season he did score what he was capable of, although it was great to watch. Prior to that many fans called him 'One in ten Glen'.
I appreciate he had hernia problems under Wilkins which weren't sorted out, but that didn't stop the fans slating him.

Logic of NSC says that injuries are no excuse for not playing well.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
All three have been slagged off by people on here for being crap. Makes you wonder doesn't it.

Not really. About 70% of the people on here are clueless nimrods.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here