Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So players don't like McGhee ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That was the frustration of the situation though wasn't it. For the large part of it McGhee was getting excellent results and performances out of the players, but then it all started to really surface in December of the relegation season, and the decline from then on was unbelievably quick and dramatic. Barely a fortnight was going past without another story of unrest within the changing room.

I know a lot of people see everything to one extreme or the other, but don't think just because I was highly critical of McGhee towards the end that means I didn't rate him at all. Up until the last 6-10 months I think he'd done an excellent job. Just, when it did go wrong, it went horrendously wrong.

I accept it fell apart but so many McGhee critics fail to applaud the good things and only point to the 2nd season in the Championship struggle. McGhee's biggest mistake was hanging around when he could have left a hero. He should have taken a leaf from the three previous successfull managers who all jumped ship when they felt they could take us no further.

Pisses me off big time because for the most part Mcghee was good for this club but history has been re-written by so many to only take account of the last season and 1/4 that he was here and ignored the 1st 2 seasons.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Not really. If a group of players are very unhappy, and reporting two distinct groups within the dressing room, then that would seem pretty clear to me.

I admire the way you always try to back McGhee Yorkie, but during the last 6 months the place was falling apart, and that seemed pretty obviously without talking to anyone.

I agreed that point with you. My point is that everyone still slates him a year later when he's gone and instead of wishing him well are still slating him.
He did far more good than bad.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I accept it fell apart but so many McGhee critics fail to applaud the good things and only point to the 2nd season in the Championship struggle. McGhee's biggest mistake was hanging around when he could have left a hero. He should have taken a leaf from the three previous successfull managers who all jumped ship when they felt they could take us no further.

Pisses me off big time because for the most part Mcghee was good for this club but history has been re-written by so many to only take account of the last season and 1/4 that he was here and ignored the 1st 2 seasons.

Thanks Icy. You put it more eloquently than me.

It's because the antis are so anti and still going to extremes with their criticisms that others still feel the need to try and redress the balance and stand up for him.

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
But Leon Knight has proved to be a difficult player at a number of clubs, and responsible for a degree of unrest, so you can't blame that on McGhee. And the Adam El Abd fracas took place long after McGhee left.

He may not have been the best manager we've had, but he wasn't the worst either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here