Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, over 700 dead......

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
What do you mean by anymore? Historically we had no choice but to believe.

It seems unless you're atheist. People will want to challenge your inner faith until.....Well it never ends.

If an athiest is so content about their faith in coincidence. Why do they feel so strongly about arguing with people who have faith in spirituality?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It seems unless you're atheist. People will want to challenge your inner faith until.....Well it never ends.

If an athiest is so content about their faith in coincidence. Why do they feel so strongly about arguing with people who have faith in spirituality?

Personally, I think it's because athiests struggle to come to terms with the fact that so many religious types can be so comfortable with all the pain and death that comes with religious ideals.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

If an athiest is so content about their faith in coincidence. Why do they feel so strongly about arguing with people who have faith in spirituality? They hardly set the best example in being faithless.

Helping them to see the light I guess.

A believer can have a tendency to view non believers as children, and anyone who comes into their lives has been put there by God for them to use for their own personal gain. I have seen it done and I have had experience of someone trying to manipulate me because I had a plan that fitted into their plan.

When they didn’t get their own way the fury that came from within was shocking, because they believed they were right and with God on their side there was no shifting from their position. This person was mid 70’s and who seemed to be a lovely Christian lady when I first met her. My plan wasn’t my plan in her eyes, it was God sending me to her to help her with what she wanted.

I have found it is very difficult to deal with people who have strong faith because there is always a hidden God agenda.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Personally, I think it's because athiests struggle to come to terms with the fact that so many religious types can be so comfortable with all the pain and death that comes with religious ideals.

Not everyone who has faith in God, follows a religion. Take Onelove for example, look how much his faith has been challenged on this thread alone.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Helping them to see the light I guess.

A believer can have a tendency to view non believers as children, and anyone who comes into their lives has been put there by God for them to use for their own personal gain. I have seen it done and I have had experience of someone trying to manipulate me because I had a plan that fitted into their plan.

When they didn’t get their own way the fury that came from within was shocking, because they believed they were right and with God on their side there was no shifting from their position. This person was mid 70’s and who seemed to be a lovely Christian lady when I first met her. My plan wasn’t my plan in her eyes, it was God sending me to her to help her with what she wanted.

I have found it is very difficult to deal with people who have strong faith because there is always a hidden God agenda.

I can understand how experiences like that would make you question certain things about religion. There's no harm choosing not to believe. I myself spent a large part of my life questioning religion and God. None of it seemed to make sense other than the 'be nice' bits. I still think its madness that people fight in the name of God and I too would never join a religion. God to me is a personal thing. If I walk past a car crash or hear of a disaster somewhere on the other side of the world, I'll ask God to help them. I don't see the harm?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I can understand how experiences like that would make you question certain things about religion. There's no harm choosing not to believe. I myself spent a large part of my life questioning religion and God. None of it seemed to make sense other than the 'be nice' bits. I still think its madness that people fight in the name of God and I too would never join a religion. God to me is a personal thing. If I walk past a car crash or hear of a disaster somewhere on the other side of the world, I'll ask God to help them. I don't see the harm?

There is no harm in wishing or hoping there is a God when there is a tragedy. And even atheists can hope/pray that one exists to receive people who lose their lives especially if it is via an unnatural death. Believing that one does is a completely different matter though.

When my daughter asked me what death is, I just asked if she could remember before she was born, obviously she said no, and I told her it feels just like that.

What I didn’t tell her was if she seeks Jesus, in her death there will be no darkness and she will be saved. This is harmful in my view.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
There is no harm in wishing or hoping there is a God when there is a tragedy. And even atheists can hope/pray that one exists to receive people who lose their lives especially if it is via an unnatural death. Believing that one does is a completely different matter though.

When my daughter asked me what death is, I just asked if she could remember before she was born, obviously she said no, and I told her it feels just like that.

What I didn’t tell her was if she seeks Jesus, in her death there will be no darkness and she will be saved. This is harmful in my view.

Because energy is neither created or destroyed. I'm a believer in reincarnation.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Why do people need a god? Praying to a god doesnt seem to do a great deal, considering the amount of praying done with few results, and over the centuries religion has managed to cause quite a bit of grief.

It depends what you think prayer/meditation is for.

There are known happiness and health benefits.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If it's explained in an extreme way it would be, if it's explained as metaphor i can't see the problem. I guess it depends on her age, which is why the language is written so.

At my sister in-laws memorial service a couple of years ago the clergyman didn’t preach it as a metaphor and there were young children there. He clearly said that you will only be saved from darkness if you seek Jesus. Darkness is a horrible way to explain death and that in itself is a threatening condition.

This service ended up being a recruitment opportunity for his church.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So which part of committing a crime, saying sorry, being forgiven instantly and then you get into heaven, isn't absolving yourself of accountability/responsibility?

Right, I take your point, If only it were that simple.

The "celestial" forgiveness would not absolve you from responsibility in the immediate surroundings on earth.

And secondly, on the saying you're sorry partfor the other-worldly bit, you have to mean it, be believed and even then it might not work.

Having said that, this is not an area that takes up a great deal of my thought. You have to "do things right" down here, and that is whether it is going to war with Iraq or stealing an OAP's purse.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well my belief is that we are part of everything that is God but I don't think we are God literally. There is a difference.

I agree that our life is an extension of our highest consciousness, who we really are.

You know you could have saved yourself 10 years of meditation and just watched a few Russell Brand Youtubes and some Beatles interviews from the late '60's to come to the same 6th form humanities studies conclusion.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I'm not religious by any stretch but I think that is wrong, without religion there would be no conformity, without conformity rules are impossible to enforce so it would be survival of the fittest. And that is the beginning of the end of civilisation as we know it.

Possibly the stupidest post of the year. Be thankful the thumbs down button is disabled.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
My God knows everything, his name is beorthelm.

He will answer the questions no one else can answer. Listen to beorthelm and you will be saved.

you've given up immediately; are you sure you are tapped into an all powerful entity?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here