So, over 700 dead......

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He did intervene. Have you already forgotten 1997?

i see you've dropped out at the first challenge, thanks for playing though.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
so why does your God allow pain and suffering? why is a child born with illness or deformity? not very compassionate. why does your God allow conflict and war? not very peacful or calm. or are you suggesting that he doesnt have knowledge of or power to do anything about these?

This is our experience, dictated by us. God gives everything to stop all suffering and pain. Unfortunately nearly everyone doesn't accept it and chooses something which has the absence of love. If everyone accepted there would be no suffering or pain. What is God supposed to do, force us to accept. We wouldn't be happy with that.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
OK, that's fair but not easy to describe as for me as it is not a mental concept but a feeling and experience.

"An intelligent, ultimate source, of everything that is experienced by the whole existence as completely pure unconditional love (and everything that comes from that i.e.compassion, joy, bliss, happiness, peace, calm, gratitude etc etc) that exceeds our level of consciousness by infinity and then some and all is encompassed within it." is the short answer :) for the purpose of this conversation.

Did this deity, as you describe, give us diseases, viruses and cancers etc to test to see if we could work out how to cure them ourselves?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is our experience, dictated by us. God gives everything to stop all suffering and pain. Unfortunately nearly everyone doesn't accept it and chooses something which has the absence of love. If everyone accepted there would be no suffering or pain. What is God supposed to do, force us to accept. We wouldn't be happy with that.

I have to say that this answer is a reasonable one to my question (and i thank you for it) (i have included my response below). however i don't think it really addressed Beorhthelm's point.

God hasn't given us everything though has he. He could stop most of the problems by clarifying what and who he is and what and who he wants. Most of the problems caused are caused by confusion of the message he is sending. Actually he could have solved this problem of clarity at any point in creation simpy by making an appearance and clarifying his ideas. And by this i don't mean sending his 'son' or burning a bush or any of the other 'signs' he has sent us i mean revealing himself to us and telling us a few home truths.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
If you have unconditional love you don't stand by and watch those you love tear each other apart. Especially when you could easily change it.

Here's a little story:

There was a man stuck on the roof of his house due to a major flood. He prayed to God to save him. Soon later, a boat turned up. The man stranded on the roof sent the boat away telling them God was going to save him. A helicopter soon later turned up and again, the man sent it away in-wait of God. Eventually the man died on the roof.
Once he got to Heaven, he straight away asked God "Why didn't you save me?" God replied "Well I did send you a boat and a bloody helicopter!"

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
I would never wish death and pain on anybody or anything.
It is what makes me superior,but somewhat vulnerable.
Superior if the trend is for Good to prevail.
Vulnerable if Evil is to prevail.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Here's a little story:

There was a man stuck on the roof of his house due to a major flood. He prayed to God to save him. Soon later, a boat turned up. The man stranded on the roof sent the boat away telling them God was going to save him. A helicopter soon later turned up and again the man sent it away in-wait of God. Eventually the man died on the roof.
Once he got to Heaven, he straight away asked God "Why didn't you save me?" God replied "Well I did send you a boat and a bloody helicopter!"

So he is unconditional love, omnipotent and all powerful. yet he lacks some basic communication skills.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
This is our experience, dictated by us. God gives everything to stop all suffering and pain. Unfortunately nearly everyone doesn't accept it and chooses something which has the absence of love.

no, no. trying again. God by your definition is supposed to give unconditional love. so why do we have to conform to some rules? and back to the question, what possible way is a mother to prevent a birth deformity such as gastroschisis, what is bestowed to stop this suffering? why was it allowed to be inflicted on a new born in the first place? and we havent even ventured outside the human sphere to the rest of the world.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Did they come from love?

presumably not. so there is another force, one capable of over powering your God and his will. i would curious to know what this deity is.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I have to say that this answer is a reasonable one to my question (and i thank you for it) (i have included my response below). however i don't think it really addressed Beorhthelm's point.

The thing is, he could force us to accept his love but does forcing come from a place of love?

God hasn't given us everything though has he. He could stop most of the problems by clarifying what and who he is and what and who he wants. Most of the problems caused are caused by confusion of the message he is sending. Actually he could have solved this problem of clarity at any point in creation simpy by making an appearance and clarifying his ideas. And by this i don't mean sending his 'son' or burning a bush or any of the other 'signs' he has sent us i mean revealing himself to us and telling us a few home truths.

Hmm you see, I believe that there is a purpose but if it's God's purpose then my interpretation is probably pretty basic. My version is something like this. We were made in his image which for me is that we once were "like" God, I mean had his attributes like unconditional love etc. and didn't even know what things outside love were, like anger, hate etc. We were amazing, so amazing we wanted to go and do our own thing. However God (obviously) knew what would happen. It wouldn't take us long to create a mess. So we were given a "homing beacon", some part of us that knows where home is and would long to get there. We then had many many experiences but in the course of this we dirtied ourselves, turned away and covered that part of ourselves, that homing beacon that is protected from us damaging it.

Ultimately what we need to do is just accept God's love completely and utterly. The trouble is parts of us don't want to. However one day we will and we will then choose to return and all our suffering and pain will be over.

Now God could force us to accept his love but then what would happen? It wouldn't have been our choice so we would soon want to leave again.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We created it, in a situation of absence of love.

Cheers One Love, i think i understand where you are coming from now. Not sure I agree, but it is food for thought.

I think we can both agree that the answers to our problems are to approach them from a position of love.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
no, no. trying again. God by your definition is supposed to give unconditional love. so why do we have to conform to some rules? and back to the question, what possible way is a mother to prevent a birth deformity such as gastroschisis, what is bestowed to stop this suffering? why was it allowed to be inflicted on a new born in the first place? and we havent even ventured outside the human sphere to the rest of the world.

Firstly what rules?

Secondly, everything that is not from a loving place, we created.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports