Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, over 700 dead......

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
To answer your questions. I'm an agnostic theist.
1)Sometimes i believe in god 100%, sometimes i don't.
2)I don't anthropomorphize God, i don't presume that God thinks in any human sense of the word.

With fear of delving into nitty gritty, i find that belief in God is in some ways irrelevant, the act of worship is where the gold lies. Of course there is some kind of hypocrisy in this statement as the act of worship requires an exercise in some kind of belief.
I believe there are reasons that all cultures have developed similar methods for gaining consciousness. These are useful tools.

I agree with you that the 'story of god' has been written and rewritten by man, sometimes selectively. I view these texts as cultural historic documents filled with metaphors so all may grasp some meaning. There is much wisdom in them. It angers me that these documents are often used by humans to gain power over people to further their agendas.

Your statement: "People who believe in God today are so far removed from the God they want to believe in.".
Firstly this seems to be a catch all statement (which has obvious drawbacks), ironically these kinds of statements are often used by people in fundamentalist religions.
What % of the world's population have faith? Do you think it applies to all of them?
Do you really know what people believe and want to believe? How?

No need to answer these slightly facetious questions.

I too think religion is a bit of a dirty word, but without them all we'd have are cults, which is often how i view these fundamentalist sects.

obv. you mean faith not belief.
and no; demonstrable, repeatable observation is an alternative to cults (religions)

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
holy canute; caught up wiv the breathless, frenzied nutters. 2 hrs in the bin, a life lesson me thinks :facepalm:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And if a tsunami sweeps away 250,000 innocent men, women, children and even newborn babies, whose making is that exactly?

Not for nothing do insurance companies term such events Acts of God. Why would a loving god do that kind of thing, David?

Yes, it is an act of God, and I struggle with the Loving God allowing that as well.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Even in a perfect vacuum there is energy and particle matter forms and disappears in a flash. Two universes could possibly collide and the energy this produces probably causes the birth of a new universe with a big band effect.

So in a roundabout what your saying there is a god.... And his name is Glenn Miller !

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
so the entity has zero influence; or are you and i just imagining all this?

The entity, as you put it, does have influence in that we are provided with the guidance as to how to do it right, which is a bit more than the Ten Commandments. If mankind - or perhaps personkind - chooses to mess things up.......

That's what stories like Sodom and Gomorrah and Noah and the Ark are about - things going too far and being cleared up.

And I emphasise they are STORIES - illustrations.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How many pages arguing about the existence of god? Blimey.

:ffsparr:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The micro-world doesn't exist either. Who's actually seen it with their naked eye?

so Alaska doesnt exist because you havent seen it? the difference between the micro world or Alaska and God is that for the former there is evidence or you can see them for youself. for the latter there is no evidence whatsoever.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
so Alaska doesnt exist because you havent seen it? the difference between the micro world or Alaska and God is that for the former there is evidence or you can see them for youself. for the latter there is no evidence whatsoever.
Yeah seen it on TV loads of times...it exists and has real people there :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here