Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So, knowing what you know now…

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
That was special to have experienced that noise in a stadium. A great atmosphere without doubt but how many would like the drums and a huge flag waved in front of them at the Amex. I have seen the same in Germany several conducting the crowd with no interest in watching the game.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I didn’t go, and wouldn’t be tempted to go if there’s a next time. The experience in the ground sounds amazing, yes, but I already hate chaotic public transport and the problems with the late, overcrowded buses sound horrendous. If I was a young guy among a bunch of mates maybe I’d regard it as part of the experience but I’m at an age where I just can’t take being treated like a wild animal, penned in or shunted around in the middle of a jostling crowd. Kudos to all who went but Marseille isn’t for me. I’m hoping to get a ticket for Athens (travel already booked) and if I do I’ll be getting the subway to the ground.
Well I am 72 and have been going for over 60 years. Just had to do this as another 'first' - and would certainly go back. I fully expected the kettling, that now takes over from the 5-0 in terms of length. Fully expected some hoolies but saw none. That was fortunate to as my hotel was a tram-ride away (booked before transport details were released). Would not have missed that for the world.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Do it again In a heartbeat, had the best away day trip ever in 45+ years following the Albion. All the scaremongering beforehand was a bit much in my opinion as all the locals I've encountered have been friendly and welcoming and at odds to explain tourists are welcome and safe in the city. It seems the Parisien centric press and media like to feed the narrative that Marseille is a lawless hellhole. There are no doubts some pretty rough areas but by all accounts any trouble is usually local groups fighting each other. I think the fact the Albion came with a good reputation and no history of violent confrontation helped a lot. By all accounts the French police were not the easiest to liaise with from Sussex plods point of view and took some convincing we would not cause any trouble. I made a point of saying hello and thank you to the French police which they were most definitely not used to and probably thought I was taking the piss but a few responded with luke warm reciprocation. Overall Marseille didn't feel any more dangerous than any other city I've ever visited and whilst it definitely had a gritty edge to it I kind of liked that and think it made it feel a bit more real and added to its appeal. I walked through it at night in a very multi cultural and diverse area and chatted with locals who universally were friendly and happy to have us there.

Loved every minute and the match and result were simply the loudest and most insane atmosphere I've ever experienced. Absolutely brilliant.
We were near front of top tier bus queue to get out and right next to the very tooled up French police, who I thought personally were excellent. They helped a couple of senior Albion fans who struggled in the queue, they were civil, we talked a little to one. For sure getting out was a shambles but the coppers on the stairs were just following orders on their walkie talkies from someone else.

I've seen the met beating our fans at palace away for no reason, the French ones yesterday were all well mannered and just following their protocols.

We drove out after game, back to Avignon, stopped at a McDonalds and 4 Marseille topped fans (2 male, 2 female) We engaged in conversation, they asking on hearing English, "are you Brighton," they were lovely, talked a little on game, and on hearing us say how incredible the atmosphere was they were really happy to hear that, and waved us with smiles as we left!

Was all this bubble stuff OTT? I would've liked to chat to more Marseille fans tbh

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Well I am 72 and have been going for over 60 years. Just had to do this as another 'first' - and would certainly go back. I fully expected the kettling, that now takes over from the 5-0 in terms of length. Fully expected some hoolies but saw none. That was fortunate to as my hotel was a tram-ride away (booked before transport details were released). Would not have missed that for the world.
Fair play to you, glad you enjoyed it. I'd happily go if I could avoid the cattle truck treatment and if I could just get the train there and back like other normal people. Maybe I'd have to aim to get a ticket in the home end.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I absolutely loved it. 100% would go again.
It wasn't all good. The transport to and from the stadium was very frustrating and I was one of hundreds who missed kick off because of that. But the atmosphere was the best I've ever experienced, just incredible. The locals I met were friendly and welcoming and it was lovely, warm weather. I was there, watching Brighton play in Europe, a dream come true.

GeorgeKane5

Jun 7, 2017
Flew into Marseille at 8am yesterday & flew back at 5:50am this morning. Safe to say I'm exhausted and the 22-odd hours between that were absolutely manic, but easily the best time I've had following us away.

Few hairy moments in and around the city centre area, easy to see why there was such a police presence & plenty of restrictions. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat just for moments like JP's penalty. Celebrating that with my best mates was something I'll never forget.

May 25, 2023
Croydon
It seems all seater stadia doesn’t kill atmosphere after all.

The noise during the penalty was deafening.
So sad I missed out on this one! All down to lack of annual leave left....😭
The atmosphere via TV was immense, can only imagine what it was like in there! Reminds me of when I adopted Atleti when living in Madrid and the din they made when Ronaldo got anywhere near the ball. Deafening. :lolol:

NottinghamGull

Sep 21, 2023
Nottingham
Absolutely would do it again. As an A+ member I reckon there will be very limited chances for me to get to an away match in Europe. It needs to be to a big stadium so 5% of capacity as our share of the tickets gives me a chance. 3,500 and not all sold even to those who did not pre register was a pleasant surprise. And to be able to go with my son and share this experience was magical. Marseille stadium and this match the loudest event I’ve experienced of any sport. Bloody fantastic!

My real decision would be to drive down for a longer 1+ week holiday and tour the area, which is fabulous. Or go short term eg Wednesday - Friday just for the match. Being retired, I’d favour the first option.

Anyway, early start at 03:30 this morning to drop son off at the airport for early flight to Stansted the 11 hour drive across France. Now in Dieppe waiting for 6pm ferry back to Newhaven and a weekend in Eastbourne. Tickets for Liverpool game on way back to Nottingham.

Thanks to all the great Seagulls we met over the last couple of days. We can all reflect on our own experiences and say “we were there”. You only get one chance to be at the first ever…….

Last edited:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
An outstanding away trip - loved it - for once Andy Naylor’s description was spot on - an incessant cacophony of noise - was on a 4.00 coach in but an 11.00 coach out - aside of the great comeback I’ve already blocked that out. Couldn’t get Ajax ticket and can’t make Athens anyway but would definitely come here again next year unless I spend too much on the trips to Real and Munich next year - will head to the airport in the next few hours for late flight(and then ‘sleep’) in Shannon Airport before 7.45am bus tm. Wife thinks I’m mad at my age but she hasn’t got Albion blood - she’s too nervous about Ireland’s game tm v THPP’s lads - I’m skipping coming over for Sunday though as do wish to keep wife!

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I’ve been to Athens albeit probably 20 years ago. It was a crap hole then and given their fiscal problems since I’m not expecting much improvement.
I love Athens - ok, it’s full of graffiti, and loads of areas are in poor repair. But it has masses of charm, cafés and restaurants on every corner, and wonderful people. Also, in my experience, safe!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Do it again In a heartbeat, had the best away day trip ever in 45+ years following the Albion. All the scaremongering beforehand was a bit much in my opinion as all the locals I've encountered have been friendly and welcoming and at odds to explain tourists are welcome and safe in the city. It seems the Parisien centric press and media like to feed the narrative that Marseille is a lawless hellhole. There are no doubts some pretty rough areas but by all accounts any trouble is usually local groups fighting each other. I think the fact the Albion came with a good reputation and no history of violent confrontation helped a lot. By all accounts the French police were not the easiest to liaise with from Sussex plods point of view and took some convincing we would not cause any trouble. I made a point of saying hello and thank you to the French police which they were most definitely not used to and probably thought I was taking the piss but a few responded with luke warm reciprocation. Overall Marseille didn't feel any more dangerous than any other city I've ever visited and whilst it definitely had a gritty edge to it I kind of liked that and think it made it feel a bit more real and added to its appeal. I walked through it at night in a very multi cultural and diverse area and chatted with locals who universally were friendly and happy to have us there.

Loved every minute and the match and result were simply the loudest and most insane atmosphere I've ever experienced. Absolutely brilliant.
When I headed into joliette square the police were joking with me that it was only for Crystal Palace fans, they were all relaxed, smiling and not trying to antagonise things.

I have a VERY dim view of French police from various ski resort trips as a student but actually they were absolutely fine last night.

GeorgeKane5

Jun 7, 2017
What were they out of interest?
We were approached multiple times walking to and from La Joilette Sq by various groups of OM fans who were insistent on following us very closely whilst giving it plenty of verbals too.

Luckily we were in a pretty big group so never felt like things were out of control, but it did start to feel like every corner we turned (especially coming back post-game) there were groups of OM lurking about.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The wait at the stadium after the game was a pain and simply a case of not enough buses. The final tranche had, I think, 8 buses so wouldn’t have taken too much more organising. I’m still here in Marseille and had a nice boat trip this afternoon and will find something to do tomorrow before I fly home. I would come back certainly.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I didn’t go, and wouldn’t be tempted to go if there’s a next time. The experience in the ground sounds amazing, yes, but I already hate chaotic public transport and the problems with the late, overcrowded buses sound horrendous. If I was a young guy among a bunch of mates maybe I’d regard it as part of the experience but I’m at an age where I just can’t take being treated like a wild animal, penned in or shunted around in the middle of a jostling crowd. Kudos to all who went but Marseille isn’t for me. I’m hoping to get a ticket for Athens (travel already booked) and if I do I’ll be getting the subway to the ground.
I'm only 34 a feel the same 🤨

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here