Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So just what is WRONG?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Yea yea yea we've been very unlucky with injuries and the team is missing some big players BUT the starting line up yesterday still included four players with Premier League experience, two players with Champions League experience, a former England international, a MILLION POUND player and three players who've won promotion at this level.

What did Yeovil have? Shit all.

I just don't think we can blame everything purely on injuries and not having a goalscorer. We're simply not playing well at all. Under Gus we were often very goal shy, especially before Ulloa came along, but we still seemed to play football.

This season we're not scoring and we're not playing decent football either.

I don't want to start turning on the manager but I would like to know what he's going to do about things. We were very close to reaching the Premier League last season but this time round we look more likely to exit the Championship in the other direction.

So, aside from injuries, what's the problem? Why are so many players that we know can perform failing us so badly? And what needs to change to bring back winning ways?

I didn't watch the Yeovil game (listened), but I did watch the Forest game, and for me the problem in that game was that every time Barnes was given the ball, he lost it - so much so that he was subbed off for Barker when we were chasing the game. If you play with one up front and they keep losing the ball (and I'm not just talking about holding it up, but simple touches and lay offs), then you cannot build up an attack around them. See the way that we used to do it around Ulloa, and how Arsenal & Man U play around Giroud, it is vital to the way we play.

I really don't think you can underestimate our crisis with our frontmen. I'm not even talking about goalscoring, which is also obviously affected, but their point at the pinnacle of an attack is essential for build up play. However I think Lita will improve that position, and another taller striker will add a different option there.

I think the lack of any 'stick' (i.e. the ball staying with a player up front) demoralises the rest of the team, as you are forced to deliver balls in from far out wide or from deep, and makes it very difficult as a team to create anything front and centre of the penalty box - which is where you are most likely to hurt the other team.

Defensively we seem fine, and I take heart in that, as a sound defence is a great thing for a team to build on.

I'm beginning to wonder whether Nathan Jones is actually the manager. Garcia hardly ever seems to get involved with what is going on on the pitch. Who decides what system to adopt? who barks the order from the touchline and who gives most of the interviews? Barnes, Lopez and Buckley have lost confidence. When the injured players return, will Garcia ruin them as well? I imagine Watford can't wait to play us Monday week.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I do have a nagging feeling that getting the injured players back won't improve us much, but we'll have to wait and see, and hope I'm wrong.

I agree. I don't think getting our best players back will improve us at all. :dunce:

Nothing I can justify with logic, just a fear.

Good redemption! Sadly, I actually agree. I am a bit concerned that things won't improve any time soon. I think Oscar needs more time than we might be able to give him, but he deserves the breathing space and the patience. I'd hate for us to become a Sunderland, sacking managers all over the show for a laugh and a means to keep us in the headlines.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
I agree. I don't think getting our best players back will improve us at all. :dunce:

Good redemption! Sadly, I actually agree. I am a bit concerned that things won't improve any time soon. I think Oscar needs more time than we might be able to give him, but he deserves the breathing space and the patience. I'd hate for us to become a Sunderland, sacking managers all over the show for a laugh and a means to keep us in the headlines.

Yes as I said in my previous post it's all down to the quality of the players, sadly I don't think they are good enough, I just hope they prove me wrong and they keep us mid table and above the relegation places. If we do drop then its just one of those things. The sooner the training academy gets underway and the players start coming through the better. I don't think it's a quick fix.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me the biggest shortfall this season - and possibly the few seasons before also - is in building an all-for-one and one-for-all fighting team spirit mentality that help you as a team OVER-ACHIEVE. Y'know, the Withdean mentality when it was us against the footballing world and we MADE our tiny wee bit of the footballing world sit up and notice. Need to regain that fighting team spirit somehow. Just seems to be strangers turning up and putting in a decent shift at the moment. Reckon we lost something vital in the transition from Withdean to Falmer. Or maybe football moved on and now has to be run along Fantasy Football lines. Mind you, the best-laid plans in that direction normally bite you in the bum sooner rather than later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here