Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So... Fulham, about that £5m

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
But it's not scapegoating with Dunk. He can't keep concentration for a whole game. If Stockdale made a mistake like Dunk every game he would be slaughtered. Dunk has played enough games and is old enough to be held accountable.

That's the point though. Most proper fans accept mistakes happen rather than slating players when they make an error on the pitch. The number of so called fans on here who spent last season slating Stockdale saying he was nowhere near good enough for us and some people, including me, said he was a decent keeper. Yes, he made a couple of errors but he also showed he was a quality keeper a number of times to win us points. Dunk is still the same player who Fulham were bidding for in the summer. He made an error last night but shouldn't be slated for it and I thought he had a decent second half to recover from the mistake. Seeing as we're short of centre halves, surely the supporters should back Dunk rather than slating him.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I am hoping Dunk starts scoring a few goals from set pieces that will help his confidence defenders can make one mistake and get punished midfielders and strikers can make many mistakes and don't get punished get of Dunks Back.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
That's the point though. Most proper fans accept mistakes happen rather than slating players when they make an error on the pitch. The number of so called fans on here who spent last season slating Stockdale saying he was nowhere near good enough for us and some people, including me, said he was a decent keeper. Yes, he made a couple of errors but he also showed he was a quality keeper a number of times to win us points. Dunk is still the same player who Fulham were bidding for in the summer. He made an error last night but shouldn't be slated for it and I thought he had a decent second half to recover from the mistake. Seeing as we're short of centre halves, surely the supporters should back Dunk rather than slating him.

Probably worth remembering that when a centre half makes a mistake that leads to a goal against then it's magnified x 100. Midfielders or forwards who miss chances time after time, and also cost the team points, get off relatively scott free.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
As I've said before, Dunk's development under Sami was superb. He just did the simple Sami-esque defending really well - get ball, distribute ball. Since this time last year his development has stalled if not gone backwards. He is no longer young and inexperienced enough to get away with that excuse for his howlers. He has responsibilities to the team, and he's started to let it down. Nowhere near PL quality

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Probably worth remembering that when a centre half makes a mistake that leads to a goal against then it's magnified x 100. Midfielders or forwards who miss chances time after time, and also cost the team points, get off relatively scott free.

Absolutely. That was the issue for Stockdale last year too. Conceding one goal in two games isn't bad for a patched up defence.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Absolutely. That was the issue for Stockdale last year too. Conceding one goal in two games isn't bad for a patched up defence.

Injuries were always going to be an issue this season. It's was covered heavily before the season started that some felt our strength in depth would be a promotion killer. If we win the next couple of games, parity will be restored for now. Any team in any division requires a certain amount of quality in depth in all positions.
I think we've been extremely fortunate not to lose kayal/Stephens or both for a length of time.That would really put a monster dent in the promotion push. Small mercies and all that...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Injuries were always going to be an issue this season. It's was covered heavily before the season started that some felt our strength in depth would be a promotion killer. If we win the next couple of games, parity will be restored for now. Any team in any division requires a certain amount of quality in depth in all positions.
I think we've been extremely fortunate not to lose kayal/Stephens or both for a length of time.That would really put a monster dent in the promotion push. Small mercies and all that...

Yes, although we've yet to see Crofts alongside one of Stephens and Kayal. The only time we've missed either was together so missing only one might be okay (not that I want to test that).

With Wilson not fit to start, we effectively had eight players out yesterday. However much depth you have, it is difficult to manage with that and I think even Derby or Middlesbrough would struggle.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I am hoping Dunk starts scoring a few goals from set pieces that will help his confidence defenders can make one mistake and get punished midfielders and strikers can make many mistakes and don't get punished get of Dunks Back.

I think we'd have to remember how to take set pieces first. Baby steps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here