Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Snails and slugs

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
As for cats . . .bit of friendly fire . . . air pistol pelet up the backside got rid of our neighbours cat . . he never came back.

:nono:

And then do a Zooma and give it a good kick? ****

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Seeing some of my prized plants eaten to bits, I went out into the garden after the rain last night looking for the little b*ggers responsible. I stopped counting at ~40, I’m amazed there was anything left growing if that’s what I can easily find in 10 minutes!

They seem resistant to the pet friendly pellets too!

Egg shells, coffee grounds or even orange rinds placed around plants.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Never mind the slugs it's the neighborhood cats dumping on my lawn that's getting silly. I tried one those ultrasound devices that supposedly scares them off and one virtually dumped right next to it . Tried orange peel as they are not meant to like citrus smell but that too was a miserable failure. It's not that I'm remotely precious about the lawn and I don't like gardening. However, I have two young kids who like to play out and the cats particularly like the area underneath their trampoline.

Aside from bear traps and gun turrets any suggestions please from the NSC garden experts?

They normally choose the loose soil of borders as their latrine. The piles of **** on our lawn came from foxes.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have no problem with cats in the garden.

I've found a very simple solution is to simply place wooden skewers in ground (with a few inches exposed) in the ground where they go.

Unlike a number of MPS, they simply don't like being stabbed in the arse whilst emptying their bowels.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Everything seems fair game for the molluscs...except the palms. However, to save my dahlias, cannas, zantedeschias and the like, I'm reverting to the beer method. I have loads of stuff visit which is meant to eat gastropods, but not in the numbers required to have a noticeable effect. I've tried the garlic treatment with mixed results.
I really miss metaldehyde:(

Purchase from overseas and stockpile it? I have already started stockpiling RoundUp for when it is banned down here, systemic insecticide too.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Back to Slugs & Snails, we dug a pond at Jakarta Towers which very soon attracted Frogs and our Slug/Snail issues reduced dramatically.

It IS a reasonably big pond so not saying something Bathtub size will do the business.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Eggshells crunched up to make them spiky then placed in a ring around the stem of the plant.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A few days ago, I caught the tail end of a programme about allotments, (sorry, don't recall the name), but this chap demonstrated wool matting that comes on a roll. You cut it so that it covers the soil around your plants. Apparently the slugs and snails don't like moving over the fibres. I think there is an element of protection against early frosts as well.

Last year I built two raised beds 3m x 1m x 30cm, with lids and netting covers, so that the rain gets through, but not the critters. A few slugs and snails still get in, but not that many. I still have to go round checking the crooks and nannies to fish out the most determined ones.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Beer traps for slugs/snails, water pistol for cats :thumbsup:

But crap on the lawn as [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] says, is nearly always foxes and they are crafty little buggers (Although I do find chucking fat/skin/carcasses from meals over the fences seems to keep it off my lawn) :wink:

Last edited:

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
I have a smallish garden with beds around a central lawn. I have tried EVERY method to get rid of slugs and snails. The only thing that really works for me is to go out late every evening with a torch and collect them all up. At first you'll have bucket loads. After a few nights you'll be collecting less and less. I can't kill them so I walk up to a wild patch of verge quite a bit away from my house and release them. I've been doing this for a few years and it really works. Please don't use the illegal pellets. They have been banned for a reason.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Beer traps for slugs/snails, water pistol for cats :thumbsup:

But crap on the lawn as [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] says, is nearly always foxes and they are craft little buggers (Although I do find chucking fat/skin/carcasses from meals over the fences seems to keep it off my lawn) :wink:

Shovelling the fox poo over the fence, helps the lawn and gets rid of the stench. Job’s a good ‘un.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have no problem with cats in the garden.

I've found a very simple solution is to simply place wooden skewers in ground (with a few inches exposed) in the ground where they go.

Unlike a number of MPS, they simply don't like being stabbed in the arse whilst emptying their bowels.

Indeed a modern day version of the Punji Stake....look it up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here