Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] #SmokeFreeGB

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Good Lord, was has happened to the club. Time was when a fag and beer break was compulsory.

There's two others, known to you, but neither were playing Sunday. None seemingly in the opposition.

I don't play these days, well, on my own terms I might turn out. We had ten and I offered to field for 15 overs. That was enough. I can't stand around for long periods or jump about with my spine.

Great game, opposition chased down 257 and won with one wicket in hand.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
the health puritans are already onto drink, lowering recommend drink consumption. 14 units is about 6 pints of anything above 3.5%, not even a pint a day.

The thing that really annoys me about the units of alcohol per week, is that it varies all around the world. Even in the EU, it varies from country to country. If it was such an exact science then surely it would be the same advice? In my opinion the variations suggest that it's something much more aribtary, yet we often get the information presented to us as absolute fact.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
On balance I am probably an unreasonable anti smoker. I don't like it I don't like being around it and it grinds my gears when you see a bunch of people hanging around a fire escape having a work fag break.

As I say not entirely reasonable. I am not in favour of this Oxfordshire idea nonsense, which is just a complete waste of everyone's time and guaranteed to alienate smokers for no apparent gain.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Alcohol Units makes me laugh, I went to the doctor's and was honest about my alcohol intake the previous week, there had been an Albion match on the Sat and an away match midweek, plus I'd had the weekend. I tend to drink 2 to 3 pints twice a week and a good few more on Friday (5) and Saturday (depends on football) nights. That said I do DryJan and SoberOct, so I don't feel I have a problem but the yound lady taking my details was somewhat taken aback by that.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Alcohol Units makes me laugh, I went to the doctor's and was honest about my alcohol intake the previous week, there had been an Albion match on the Sat and an away match midweek, plus I'd had the weekend. I tend to drink 2 to 3 pints twice a week and a good few more on Friday (5) and Saturday (depends on football) nights. That said I do DryJan and SoberOct, so I don't feel I have a problem but the yound lady taking my details was somewhat taken aback by that.

A few years back, I'd gone to doctors about something and they asked how many units of alcohol i had a week and like you i was honest. My GP told me he didn't think it was a big deal, but it was i thought i'd had a heavy week maybe have a week off the following week. Like I say the advice all seems very arbitary.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I'm not a smoker but in a liberal, free democracy we should be allowed to do what they want provided we are not inconveniencing, harming or offending other people.

I used to hate smoking in public, now I hardly notice it. There are separate areas for smokers and the balance is about right. The key word is balance.

What worries me is once they've banned smokers who will they go after next? Reducing drink driving limit to at/around zero so you can't have a pint after the match, drive to a pub in the country or have a drink after work will be next.

Not only alcohol. Fatty foods, anything with salt in it (oh, they've already started on that...), junk food - the list is endless. What's wrong with we Brits that we feel we have to ban everything that we don't like? Worse, it only takes one person who objects to something and rounds up a few mates and hey presto they've got a 'pressure group' much reported in the media. Remember the fuss about the grass growing lights at the Amex last year?

Oh and from my 75 year old vantage point I should say that I've smoked since I was 14 and have absolutely no intention of stopping now

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
The thing that really annoys me about the units of alcohol per week, is that it varies all around the world. Even in the EU, it varies from country to country. If it was such an exact science then surely it would be the same advice? In my opinion the variations suggest that it's something much more aribtary, yet we often get the information presented to us as absolute fact.
Most of these sorts of things are fairly arbitrary - 5 veg a day, 10,000 steps etc - but it tends to be better to give people an concrete, achievable number rather than saying, 'Eat plenty of veg", "Get some exercise" and, "Don't drink too much."

There is increasing evidence that any alcohol at all is more harmful than complete abstinence and the more alcohol you drink the worse your health outcomes are liable to be.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rmful-health-stick-Government-guidelines.html
https://www.theguardian.com/society...-consumption-harmful-to-the-brain-finds-study
(Two links so that everyone can feel outraged)

There was a move a couple of years ago to have this as the advice instead of the 14 units but there was a huge outcry against it so it was shelved but it will be back.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not only alcohol. Fatty foods, anything with salt in it (oh, they've already started on that...), junk food - the list is endless. What's wrong with we Brits that we feel we have to ban everything that we don't like? Worse, it only takes one person who objects to something and rounds up a few mates and hey presto they've got a 'pressure group' much reported in the media. Remember the fuss about the grass growing lights at the Amex last year?

In Steyning there is a '20 is Plenty' campaign to try and get a 20mph speed limit throughout the whole town. Greening Steyning are behind it, there is a website with a link. They got their members, friends and family to vote for it (while the rest of the town was largely oblivious to the suggestion) so it could go forward to the Parish Council for ratification and submission up to West Sussex County Council.

The Parish Council is itself largely controlled by a few likeminded BANANA individuals (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything) and so there is a fair chance they will go for it.

In this way the residents of Steyning could find themselves driving around their own town at a snail's pace whilst the overstretched local police chase after a lycra-clad cyclist who has broken the speed limit doing 30mph down Clays Hill.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
"First they came for the smokers and I did not protest for I was not a smoker. Then they came for my gin and tonic ...... AAAAGH!" (Jenny Eclair, I think).

I'm not a smoker (never have been) but like others I think it's a bit OTT. It'll be a ban on outdoor barbeques next. Walking through Preston Park on Bank Holiday Monday there were loads of people enjoying the sun and having a bit of a cookout. I thought it was great.

There was a thread last year complaining about BBQs. I think someone handed out leaflets in fiveways or hanover (from memory, but would make sense) spouting nonsense about toxic air! As you say, there's no doubt it'll happen at some point, see also the wood burner thread!

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Most of these sorts of things are fairly arbitrary - 5 veg a day, 10,000 steps etc - but it tends to be better to give people an concrete, achievable number rather than saying, 'Eat plenty of veg", "Get some exercise" and, "Don't drink too much."

There is increasing evidence that any alcohol at all is more harmful than complete abstinence and the more alcohol you drink the worse your health outcomes are liable to be.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rmful-health-stick-Government-guidelines.html
https://www.theguardian.com/society...-consumption-harmful-to-the-brain-finds-study
(Two links so that everyone can feel outraged)

There was a move a couple of years ago to have this as the advice instead of the 14 units but there was a huge outcry against it so it was shelved but it will be back.

I've read them both so I am doubly outraged - time for a drink

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I don't take any notice. A weekly allowance is absurd if the whole lot is done on a Friday or Saturday night.

However....perhaps it is useful to some, who apparently have no idea that caning a whole bottle of spirits in one sitting might be a tad dangerous. My former neighbour's son, age about 22 at the time, was told he'd irreversibly damaged his liver through drink. I simply can't work out how he managed that, especially given that I'd never seen him pissed.

It used to be said that we have loads of rules an the UK because we instintively ignore them (although I'm not sure how that's logical). And yet, the number of people I have come across who haven't seen people during Covid, interpreting the advice to a degree way beyond the intention, is almost alarming.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I just wish any smokers here to not give up giving up.

It’s a brutally tough addiction, it’s normal to fail a bunch of times, but kicking the smokes is one of the best things I’ve ever done. You can do it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
One day we'll look back on how people used to suck tar into their lungs and just wonder why they were so stupid as to do it.

There will be better, more sustainable, ways of getting a little high. Times change.

Same will go for alcohol at some point.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One day we'll look back on how people used to suck tar into their lungs and just wonder why they were so stupid as to do it.

There will be better, more sustainable, ways of getting a little high. Times change.

The law will evolve, certain people’s attitudes will change but I can say with some degree of certainty that smoking and definitely drinking will be around in some form for a long, long, long time to come.

Pubs will change for the worse though, becoming restaurant bars with kids everywhere and no interesting people to chat to. A total smoking ban will be the death of the traditional pub and we will be the worse for it.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Being an ex smoker and drinker, my life is so much better not smoking or drinking. Now I wonder why I ever enjoyed it in the first place. Honestly, the world would probably be a better place without either.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Being an ex smoker and drinker, my life is so much better not smoking or drinking. Now I wonder why I ever enjoyed it in the first place. Honestly, the world would probably be a better place without either.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Smoking can’t be defended but drinking? Really? Some of the best nights of people’s live have been while drinking.
Sober weddings?
No after work drinks?
Meeting friends?
Lovely Malbec with a steak dinner?
Discussion and discourse
The loosening of inhibitions
Gin on holiday as the sun goes down?
The list goes on.

Totally respect anyone’s choice to abstain but no drink, anywhere, for anyone, for evermore? What a truly dull world.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

doubtful. humans have been fermenting something to drink for thousands of years. not going to stop now.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I like a drink and a smoke, I am quite aware of the consequences. I pay my tax and make my choice.

Now if I had my time again I would not smoke but not drinking no chance some of the best days / nights and early mornings in my life have been while on the booze.

( having to visit elderly relatives in old people’s home also puts me of living late into my late 80s or 90a, here for a good time not a long time as the saying goes )

But I would not smoke near non smokers anywhere except a pub garden.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Back on subject I'm astonished that people haven't learned by now that prohibition NEVER works. The UK is supposedly weed free, cocaine free and MDMA free. Yeah, right :rolleyes: . If anything the smell of weed as I go for an afternoon or evening stroll along the seafront is stronger than ever.

I'm intrigued. Where or whom is claiming the UK is 'weed free, cocaine free and MDMA free'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here