Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Smart Watch

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Okay, so I would like a watch and I've heard about these new smart thingys.

I'm interested in the idea of mapped out exercise, heart rate, sleep monitoring etc.

So I'd be quite interested in getting one. A watch that has some good basic functions but isn't expensive with a gazillion functions I will never use.

Any NSC experts out there who can help ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you have an Apple phone, get the watch.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
garmin have a phenomenal range of watches from fairly decent price to quite expensive, i’ve just upgraded to the fenix 7,

it really depends what you want from it but i run a lot so that’s why i went garmin and also battery live is 5-7 days

apple watch is 24hours battery life

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Which sport or activity do you do most frequently?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Which sport or activity do you do most frequently?
Sitting around the house...

I go out to do daily exercise walking. I need to as I work from home. So something like a smart watch may help.

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
Sitting around the house...

I go out to do daily exercise walking. I need to as I work from home. So something like a smart watch may help.
then definitely garmin, does all the mapping,heart rate,sleep,steps,stairs climbed etc, also get all phone notifications

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I bought an Apple - it’s shite for health checks, not very accurate especially the O2 monitor, by all accounts, I should have been turning blue and on a ventilator last week with the reading I got - fortunately I was in hospital at the time and the hospital monitor was a lot more accurate! It also has an ECG monitor which is probably reasonably accurate because I’m not dead from a heart attack yet. The Apple wallet is great but sometimes it takes several goes before the reader picks up the chip.

You will probably find similar issues with any smart watch tbh and beware that, if you do want particular functions when buying a ‘smart’ watch, it actually includes the apps that you want with the purchase. Some apps are additional downloads/costs.

Also, if you want to use it for calls/receive calls outside bluetooth range, (ie want to leave your phone behind), make sure it has cellular - some smart watches only connect via bluetooth.

A few ideas

Last edited:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Garmin Venu, not a full on exercise beast like most Garmin's more of a smart watch but with all the bells a whistles you need and a decent battery life.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I got a free Galaxy 4 when I upgraded my Samsung earlier this year. I didn't think I'd use it much, but now I find it really handy. All the text and whatsapp messages pop up on it, meaning I can just glance at my wrist instead of digging the phone out. Keeps a good track of my walking. I feel a bit of a knob when I answer a call and walk along speaking into it, but I'm in my 50s now so don't really care how I look any more. And it came into its own a couple of months back when I went down the pub without realising my bankcard wasn't in my wallet (I'd taken it out to buy something online and not put it back). Just tapped the old Google Pay watch app on the reader and voila - I was allowed some beerage.

Another handy little gizmo is when I have my football accas on. I can 'favourite' the games I've bet on, and every time there's a goal it'll buzz my wrist and I can glance down to see who's scored. Yeah I know all this can be done on a phone (and I previously always used to), but its just more casual and immediate on the watch. I loves me tech.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I got a free Galaxy 4 when I upgraded my Samsung earlier this year. I didn't think I'd use it much, but now I find it really handy. All the text and whatsapp messages pop up on it, meaning I can just glance at my wrist instead of digging the phone out. Keeps a good track of my walking. I feel a bit of a knob when I answer a call and walk along speaking into it, but I'm in my 50s now so don't really care how I look any more. And it came into its own a couple of months back when I went down the pub without realising my bankcard wasn't in my wallet (I'd taken it out to buy something online and not put it back). Just tapped the old Google Pay watch app on the reader and voila - I was allowed some beerage.

Another handy little gizmo is when I have my football accas on. I can 'favourite' the games I've bet on, and every time there's a goal it'll buzz my wrist and I can glance down to see who's scored. Yeah I know all this can be done on a phone (and I previously always used to), but its just more casual and immediate on the watch. I loves me tech.
At what point do these marvellous gadgets effectively become a m0bile ph0ne* strapped to your wrist? - and at what point should it become six points on your driving licence for for example, checking your text messages while driving?

* Not using the actual words because some shyster internet hackers keep turnng them into a commercial link - perhaps there was a sound reason behind using the phrase 'Omsung phine'? :lolol:

Last edited:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Sounds like a FitBit would suit you down to the ground which does all you are after without superfluous functions. Also not as big as smart watches. I'm on my second FitBit - got an Inspire 2 currently - and wouldn't be without it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Bought the missus a FitBit Charge 5 for Crimbo; her key requirements were:
Step count - she's not a jogger/runner but walks most days
Sleep observations - she is keen to understand her quality [or lack] of sleep
Heart rate - beats per minute - this one even does an ECG report
It has optional satnav to calculate distance and altitude [ups & downs] but if you have the satnav on it reduces the battery life
Good battery life - without satnav, should get 5-6 days between charge

It has other stuff on it which she's yet to discover, one of which is oxygen saturation [in the blood] which is great for people who suffer from things like asthma or COPD as it can confirm your oxygen levels are low [with a score/reading]

Personally can't see much point in getting one that works as a phone, unless your phone is too big to fit in your pocket, or you need to take a call while you're in the shower or swimming.

FitBit links to an app which is available for Android or Apple

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here