Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slimming pills?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
2 years ago I lost 6 stone in 9 months. I put some of it back on so have been dieting again for the last three months and have lost the 3 stone I neeeded to drop. I don't use any tablets and because I have a bad back I don't do nearly enough exercise so it's all been done by cutting out and cutting down on food and by drinking lots of water to assuage the hunger pangs (and I mean lots as in 4+ litres a day). My wife has tried various diet tablets and they haven't made much discernible difference and my son uses T5 tablets (ephedrine or "speed"-based) which he says does help a bit with weight loss and more so with muscle toning.

TBH you have so little weight to lose I wouldn't bother with tablets at all but if you do need something to give you a kickstart buy some over-the-counter water tablets from your local chemist and then start your planned diet. In the first week you will probably lose 5lbs plus as much of what you will get rid of will be water content. From there onwards a steady 2lbs a week based on cutting out dietary fat alone (and, if you can, drinking green tea at meal times) will have you trim for Christmas.
FWIW rapid initial weight loss is easier generally for men than for women as I believe we have a higher water to fat ratio. Weigh yourself at 8.30am or thereabouts if you want to get your lowest/most flattering weight and about 9pm for your highest weight as you will find that it can fluctuate by as much as 4lbs or 5lbs over the course of a day (which to put it into perspective is a whole quarter of your target weight loss).

Last edited:

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
losing weight is easy ....don't eat so much, especially after 6pm....and get educated e.g avocados give you the best fat you can get, and nuts the best energy.......or one can eat a fry up, sweets, and red meat.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Right? No of course not right. I'm not talking social drugs or anabolic steroids, I'm talking about hopefully a safe, pharmaceutical assistance in shifting a few pounds. Jeez have you never taken a paracetomol or an aspirin?

As HT says, could be a masking agent. There's absolutely no need for any sort of pharmaceutical assistance for you to lose 1 stone.

Cut the drinking. Lifting weights won't help you lose weight quickly. Running and cycling a lot will. Don't focus too much on fat content but overall calorie intake and expenditure. If you put more out than you take in then your weight will drop. If you take in more than you put out then you put weight on. Add a couple of runs to your gym sessions (so your current gym sessions + 2x 5k/30min runs a week) and it'll help.

Put the hard work in and it'll pay dividends. You won't be putting unnecessary chemicals into your body and you won't be sending money to those who peddle the idea that 'all you need is to pay me for a pill'.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
As HT says, could be a masking agent. There's absolutely no need for any sort of pharmaceutical assistance for you to lose 1 stone.

Cut the drinking. Lifting weights won't help you lose weight quickly. Running and cycling a lot will. Don't focus too much on fat content but overall calorie intake and expenditure. If you put more out than you take in then your weight will drop. If you take in more than you put out then you put weight on. Add a couple of runs to your gym sessions (so your current gym sessions + 2x 5k/30min runs a week) and it'll help.

Put the hard work in and it'll pay dividends. You won't be putting unnecessary chemicals into your body and you won't be sending money to those who peddle the idea that 'all you need is to pay me for a pill'.

lifting weights wont necessarily helphim lose weight but it will make him look and feel better. you go for a run or a swim and the minute you stop you stop burning calories. you do an hours proper heavy weight training and your metabolic rate will be higher for up to 24 hours after meaning you carry on burning calories at an higher rate even when doing nothing as your body needs to repair itself .

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
[warning]Slimming pills may turn you into a Palace fan

Do you really want to risk it???

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
if you want to look good in the disco. Lift weights.

if you want to lose a stone. Watch your carb intake, and do more cardio.

don't event think about things like water tables (diuretics)...

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
The issue with them ones ya can get at chemist is they can give ya anal leakage.

seagulls

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Sevenside gull, thanks for that advice. Nice to have a sensible reply. I know just 1 stone doesn't seem a lot of weight to lose but Fu#k me is it hard to lose. It's all at the stomach and chest and a nightmare to get rid of. Might take your advice re water tablets from the chemist as a kick start and a little assistance is all I'm looking for, not some kind a magic pills that do all the work while I'm eating fry ups!!!

Be careful you don't have a job that tests you for certain drugs, I know a guy who knows a guy that got banned from his job for 6 months for taking "Slimming" pills.

In all seriousness, depending on how fast you want to lose a stone, you definitely do not need pills! I lost a stone over the past few months just be a bit of exercise and a change in diet!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Lifting weights won't help you lose weight quickly.

Lifting weights is a much more efficient way of losing weight if you do it right. Lifting heavy weights (and I mean heavy free weights, not stupid machines) means that your metabolic rate is still working up to 24 hours afterwards meaning that with just a half an hour workout, and a good diet you will lose more weight than running for an hour, where your body relaxes an hour afterwards and doesn't burn any more fat after that. It might not be noticeable on the scales because you put some of the flab back on as muscle but it's better for your physique overall.

Edit: What dannyboy said.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
as everyone has said, eat less, eat more carefully and exercise REGULARLY...

The weight does literally fall off, I've lost 20 pounds in 7 weeks. I now weigh 12st4, and as most guys I had it simply round the belly and back.

Hardwork is the key.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
If you find trouble stopping drinking, try swapping lager for Real Ale. It will help a bit.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
If you find trouble stopping drinking, try swapping lager for Real Ale. It will help a bit.

Really? I find the dieting fine, and the exercise fine. But it's the cutting out the lager I find really hard, especially at social occasions like the Amex!!!!

D

Deleted member 18477

use a thermobol. the last stone if you like is the hardest to shift!

thermobol has worked a treat when i was 'stripping fat' (suppose to actually losing weight).
also animal cuts are decent although a tad extreme.

just drink loads of water if you take them!

D

Deleted member 18477

Lifting weights is a much more efficient way of losing weight if you do it right. Lifting heavy weights (and I mean heavy free weights, not stupid machines) means that your metabolic rate is still working up to 24 hours afterwards meaning that with just a half an hour workout, and a good diet you will lose more weight than running for an hour, where your body relaxes an hour afterwards and doesn't burn any more fat after that. It might not be noticeable on the scales because you put some of the flab back on as muscle but it's better for your physique overall.

Edit: What dannyboy said.

48 hours after ;)!!! not just 24! Agree, weights are the best way and you dont end up with saggy skin (if you're that fat to begin with). most people fail to realise its a toned physique they want, not to actually lose weight as such.

p.s. hola gus - by weights i dont mean bicep curls and shitty tricep stuff (you can do these as well but least important). i mean squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press. you work multiple muscles at the same time with those excercises so they burn the most calories!

Last edited by a moderator:

ForeverAGull

Jul 14, 2010
East Sussex
you answered your own question . tweak your diet , exercise more , do weight training . much better than diet pills

no wight training fat weighs more than muscle so you will stay they same weight give or take a few pounds, weight toning on the other hand can be ok, light weights with a minimum of 20 reps should do the trick but dont go to heavy and dont do to much!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Despite what people say when you get down to the last bit of stubborn fat it doesnt just fall off which Im sure is why you ask. Weight falls off if you are a fat c *nt . Do weights 4 times a week. 2 x decent cardio sessions and cut right down on carbs. Cut out chocloate and junk. 6 weeks and you will be there

edit - No beer either. If you need a blow out then Vodka / sODA and lime only

Regarding weight training plan, 4 x 10 - 12 reps with 12th rep failure. All muscles , different muscle group each day...read up. You wont lose the weight due to muscle mass but you will get to where you envisage you should be by losing what you said

Be strict

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
48 hours after ;)!!! not just 24! Agree, weights are the best way and you dont end up with saggy skin (if you're that fat to begin with). most people fail to realise its a toned physique they want, not to actually lose weight as such.

p.s. hola gus - by weights i dont mean bicep curls and shitty tricep stuff (you can do these as well but least important). i mean squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press. you work multiple muscles at the same time with those excercises so they burn the most calories!

This man know what he's talking about.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Cheers Dougal. All makes sense to me. Defo need to lay off the beer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here